Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slinging Velocity with Pocket Radar (Read 4142 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Slinging Velocity with Pocket Radar
Apr 19th, 2020 at 9:03pm

I just wanted to share this, because I was surprised at how difficult throwing something 100 mph (45 m/s) is, even with a sling.

I filmed myself slinging with my new Pocket Radar. The nice thing about this unit is that it will work with the projectile going toward it, or away from it. In this case, I set it up behind a baseball target and was slinging lacrosse balls. Slinging at a comfortable speed, I averaged roughly 75 mph (33.5 m/s).  My best speed was (not in the video) 94 mph. I might be able to break 100 with a lacrosse ball, but I don't want to try in my backyard in fear of missing.

I wonder if a stone has a big enough cross-section for this thing to pick up... I think I could break 100 mph with a stone no problem.

https://youtu.be/M5MRHhEL3rM
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2020 at 2:42am by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Slinging speed with Pocket Radar
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:18pm

Nice video and nice slinging!!
Great to see some more confirmed speeds.
I only had one throw I was able to get through a “prochrony” chronograph. I got 33m/s.
Maybe add your speeds and the video to the “here be maths” chronograph thread.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:20pm

Good idea. I saw your post there. I don't think I'd have the courage to try and get it through a chronograph, that is a tight shot.

Is there any way just to have this post moved to that thread? Can CA do it?

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:22pm

Very cool!  What is the radar device that you're using?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:33pm

Only CA holds the power we are mere peasants

And yes the chronograph shot was about as nervous as I ever got slinging . Fortunately or unfortunately, I was showing off to the owner of the chronograph prior to him pulling it out and then insisting I try. Somehow I got one through without any or the prior shots exploding the chronograph. I stopped straight after the reading.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:52pm

Well, I bought it because of this review... It ain't cheap though.  I think my wife probably won't let me buy any new toys for a while. I'm using it to try and fix my form for throwing stuff, mostly disc golf. Quarantine, ya know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c6mf8-RqOI&t=380s

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 11:27pm

Hey IG, great to see you are still slinging! Your consistency was top notch on this one. Great video!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 11:42pm

Thanks Morphy. I still lurk, but rarely post.

I only look consistent because its 10 m! I would have moved back further, but that is the extent of my new backyard. It kinda makes for a better video though, since you can see the target more clearly. If one is slinging from 20 m, it's hard to see anything.  I still remember a really great video you made slinging at watermelons at 25m...it was really hard to see the stones, let alone the target. But some great shooting as I recall.

I wish had a better setup, one camera zoomed in, one out wide. Put an inset of the zoomed in vido in the corner of the main one or something. Maybe there is an app that already does that or some nifty software? Anyone know of any?  Maybe Sarosh does, he makes awesome slinging videos.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Slinging Velocity with Pocket Radar
Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 4:53am

As I said in the comment section , awesome set up!
I wonder , if you put it behind the slinger would it measure the speed in the pouch/ during release / after release/ the max velocity(just after release)?

IronGoober wrote on Apr 19th, 2020 at 11:42pm:
I wish had a better setup, one camera zoomed in, one out wide. Put an inset of the zoomed in vido in the corner of the main one or something. Maybe there is an app that already does that or some nifty software? Anyone know of any?  Maybe Sarosh does, he makes awesome slinging videos.

if you mean set up like in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_DFp_7JTfM you film with 2 cameras and use a video editor to play one over the other and synchronize them.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 11:37am

Yeah, that setup is what I should do. That was a good video. What video editor do you use?

I tried setting up the radar behind me, but it was doing weird stuff. It would give two velocities in rapid succession, one around 25 mph and the other around 90 mph (this is when I was throwing hard).  I'm not sure what the slower speed was, but assumed the higher was the release velocity, since I've measured similar speeds by counting video frames over a known distance.

The radar measures the peak velocity from what I understand, so it is right at release.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 1:04pm

Maybe the lower speed was the sling after release.

IronGoober wrote on Apr 20th, 2020 at 11:37am:
What video editor do you use?

In that video I used premiere pro cs6 I don't use that anymore .

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 12:46pm

I always assumed that my strongest shots were somewhere around 100mph.  Now I'm not so sure.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 2:42pm

Quote:
Only CA holds the power we are mere peasants

Always nice when people realise their place in the world whistle

Which bit do you want moved to where ?

You can always copy the post and paste it into a new post in another thread - even peasants can do that Smiley

Got to say that's pretty damn accurate IG.
And with a little tweaking of your style and sling  you could probably get 100mph,  potentially with less expended effort.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 10:00pm

I suppose I'll just copy and paste my post into "here be maths", in that case.

And thank you. I was out again yesterday giving it just about everything I had, and couldn't break 91 mph. I started to tweak my bicep, so I stopped.  I always thought that I could break 100 mph with my current sling (27 inch), but, like Rat Man said, now I'm not sure.

There is a ton of drag with the lacrosse ball, I can hear the sling whipping around even before release. I think a longer sling might do the trick, or maybe a figure 8 release, but I'm horribly inaccurate with figure 8 currently. Maybe I'll go practice it and get back to you guys if I ever do break 100.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2020 at 12:24am by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 11:37pm

Interesting that I also use a 27” sling and my recorded speed was an “average” throw and around 33mps.

I think 45mps is achievable but it’s definitely on the high end for a 27” sling.

Just like my distance throws with same sling , consistent throws over 100 with little effort and max throw of 185m with odd stones. Want that 200m confirmed throw so bad.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)