Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slinging Velocity with Pocket Radar (Read 4219 times)
timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Re: Slinging Velocity with Pocket Radar
Reply #30 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 8:02pm

Smiley Smiley

I measured Pocket Radar up to an old air rifle bullet speed.

I watched the IronGoober's video. Very fast throws. I would not want him any hit my body.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #31 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 1:41am

Timpa, thank you for that info.

Because of what you said, I tried again. This time I put the Pocket Radar behind me (like you had it). I was able to get up to 102 MPH (45.6 m/s) with a stone (probably around 100 g). Although the readout always gives me two or three speeds. I'm not sure what it is picking up. I think one is the pouch moving by on my windup, and the other is the projectile.  I'm really not sure what it is reading when it gives me three speeds (maybe the release cord?)

But the numbers are somewhat unreliable. I had one throw  with a light stone that had to be 110-115 MPH (judging by the 102 MPH throw) that only read 85 MPH.

So, I guess I'll have to try filming it and use frame-counting to verify the velocities using stones.  I did this with the lacrosse balls and it was reading out the correct velocities.

John R.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #32 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 5:16pm

Do not stand directly in front of the radar. Go a little crooked from the line. So, that the release cord does not hit the measuring area.
Only the projectile may be in the measuring area.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #33 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 12:35pm

timpa wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 5:16pm:
Do not stand directly in front of the radar. Go a little crooked from the line. So, that the release cord does not hit the measuring area.
Only the projectile may be in the measuring area.

Timpa,

I tried this, it works really well! Surprisingly, when I use balearic form, I can only reach high 80's mph (<40 m/s), but when I use byzantine, where I really focus on motion of the arm similar to throwing (as opposed to straightening my arm early, similar to how Luis slings), I hit 95 mph several times (42.5 m/s) throwing soft lacrosse balls. My usual with a throw-like slinging motion was >90 mph (40.2 m/s). My elbow hurts today, I threw way too hard, way to many times and didn't warm up enough.

It seems my most accurate at a balearic style target at 20 m is in fact balearic style. I can be pretty accurate at 80mph, but lose accuracy when throwing harder. The shots seem to go a lot flatter using balearic style, when I use a throwing motion, I impart a weird spin to the projectile and it is hard to predict it's trajectory. I'm not sure what my wrist is doing, but it is doing something weird. For some reason, I don't do it using balearic style.

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker)