Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slinging Velocity with Pocket Radar (Read 4197 times)
Shakli

City Slinger

Re: Slinging Velocity with Pocket Radar
Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 12:16am

Wow really nice I love the setup!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 12:46am

Mersa wrote on Apr 21st, 2020 at 11:37pm:
Just like my distance throws with same sling , consistent throws over 100 with little effort and max throw of 185m with odd stones. Want that 200m confirmed throw so bad.

I have thrown a 220m throw once, and it was with a 30" sling, and a perfect egg-shaped stone, probably like 80-100g. I had to grunt loud to get it that far. Smiley All my other throws were sub-200m.  I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with a 27" sling, probably around 180m max.  Maybe give a slightly longer sling a shot? or is the purpose to do it with your current sling?

There was one user, BrianGrubbs, I think, that launched a 240m throw with a 24" sling, figure 8 style. He had one video of him throwing for distance on YouTube. Dude had an F'n cannon.  Maybe try the figure 8, if you get the lean-back like he did, I bet it's possible.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 1:05am

The purpose is to hit 200 with the 27” sling. And as soon as I get that confirmed I’m going to make a dedicated distance sling and push for those big numbers like 250,300,350 etc.

My figure 8 isn’t as powerful as my other throws, I get the most distance with my “overhand” Byzantine or my “overhand” Heli. Side arms probably the strongest but I get too much projectile spin and always seems to loose pace

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 7:09am

You can calculate lower bounds for release speed given a known distance thrown.

vel_LB = SQRT(g*dist)

This assumes 45 degree (optimal) release angle and air resistance effects to be negative (no insane headwinds basically).

For a projectile to go 220m it absolutely needs >46m/s or >103mph.

Note that the real speed value for stones is probably a fair bit faster as they are very significantly affected by air resistance. The lower bounds are probably pretty close to the speed that would send a lead glande that distance though.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 3:09pm

don't think brian used anything as short as 24 inches.

And yeah unless, you start bringing your waist into play you're doing more 'throwing' than slinging.

Try standing side on to the target and keep your back foot rooted.
This forces you to use your whole body and - most important - brings your waist and core muscles into play. It also gives your arm more time, lengthens the spower stroke and adds a lot more momentum into the throw while reducing tricep usage.

Slinging is all about technique. The more of your body you can bring into play, the harder you'll be able to throw and the longer you'll be able to sustain it.   

You've got a good sidearm style, just needs to start using less arm and more waist Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 3:13pm

As far as length goes - my target sling - meant for 20 metres is only 26inches.
I mean yeah I can throw over 150metres with it, but it's an effort and as soon as you feel you're making an effort - you've lost technique.

My standard everyday sling is usually between 32-34 inches. And I'm a short arse Smiley
A longer sling (up to a point) and a better technique increases power and reduces arm wear.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #21 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 6:31pm

I haven’t had much experience with “long slings” I mainly use my 27”.
Putting your body into the throw definitely adds power but I think it’s not as drastic a The timing of the power stroke. That for me is the main part of the technique.
I find a little “hop step” can also add power for distance.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 9:26am

just bear in mind that moving forward will actually reduce the overall speed of the missile release as you are Moving into the forward movement.

So keeping your back foot rooted and taking a half step with your front foot, gives you a longer powerstroke while not moving into the direction of the throw and reducing overall velocity.

It's like the pirouette style with a long sling.
Unless you are also whirling the sling round your head at the same time - then you can only spin the sling as fast as you can rotate your body. And unless you are an olympic hammer thrower - that WILL be slower than you can spin the sling round your head while stationary.

The guys in guam have a technique where they continue to spin the sling round their heads while also pirouetting - it's bloody impressive.
Inaccurate as hell - but seriously good for pure distance !

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #23 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 7:35pm

I will agree with your statement CA but as you’re probably aware I don’t really ever use pre rotations so my movement forward almost happens before the sling starts to gain momentum. There is a timing aspect for sure.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #24 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 6:16pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 24th, 2020 at 9:26am:
It's like the pirouette style with a long sling.
Unless you are also whirling the sling round your head at the same time - then you can only spin the sling as fast as you can rotate your body.

SmileyThis is a common misconception.

Pocket Radar a fun device. I have one. Slinging.org member too, who is an American soldier, has one. I don't remember his name.
Here to slinging, with Pocket Radar:
https://youtu.be/4FgcysbplWA

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #25 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 6:31pm

Now I remember him: Mark Harrop

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #26 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 2:25am

Oh, dang Timpa! I missed this video somehow. You should put that data into the "Chronographs" thread in "Here be Maths". That is impressive. I'm surprised it picked up a ball bearing, I tried slinging rocks next to it and it didn't pick it up. Maybe I'll have to try again.  Thanks for sharing this!

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 4:20am

I think most "radar" guns will read metal ammo more easily because metal is more reflective than stones or baseballs, not 100% sure though.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #28 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 7:45am

That timpa pirouette!!! BOOM!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 11:28am

That’s a mean throw you got there. I wonder how deep it would penetrate into ply wood?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick)