Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Absurd names (Read 2592 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Absurd names
Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:38am

Well gents, I thought I would post a a few threads to get things moving around here.

What are the most absurd names you have ever heard? It can be names of people, places, swords, or anything that is given a name after one too many beers. Additionally if you were writing your own Monty python skit would you name a sword something ridiculous? If so what would it be. I have struggled to think of a properly ridiculous name but all that keeps coming to mind are the words moist and engorged.
I don’t know why, it’s almost better not to know, but there it is.

Both need a little more thought but I think there’s some possibilities there.

As far as people I know of a lady that named her daughter Melanoma because she thought it was pretty. That takes the cake for me.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Absurd names
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 1:05pm

dunno about absurd - but my favourite local street name is: Butthole Lane in shepshed: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Butthole+Ln,+Shepshed,+Loughborough/@52.7735...

There are Butt lanes in about half the villages in the uk - it dates back from medieval times when every village had archery butts and 'butt lane' was where the archery targets were.

But as far as I know there is only 1 Butthole lane in the whole country.
No idea why shepshed is different Smiley

There is a picture somewhere of me standing in front of the actual street sign.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 2:08pm

I'm not good at finding names. I wanted a strange username that isn't related to anything I like , I used a random name generator and found Sarosh.

The most awful name I've heard is a female name in my country and it's 2 words in one and those 2 words are the name of a far right party in my country. other awful names are those of days .

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 3:22pm

Butthole lol. I used to live in a city with a Boner street. I guess I am still mentally twelve because it still makes me grin whenever I think of it.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 4:51pm

For me it’s just the bad “common names” of trees and woods that are not actually of that species
Mountain Ash is a eucalypt
She Oak is a cassurina
The list could continue for a long time

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 4:57pm

I quite often see last names which got "lost in translation". One of the cuter and more innocent ones I heard of was Ms. Incognito, working in telephone marketing. I'm not going to repeat the others here though, as they can be quite rude.

There's also a small town named Bitsch in Switzerland. AFAIK this town actually gained some international publicity. A certain online plattform shall have offered all residents free access to their subscription-based content. And the town name sign at the entrance of the village shall be welded in place, and not just bolted down.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 7:48am

People: Herman Herman (that’s first name Herman, last name Herman)... nice guy. Roboticist at Carnegie Mellon. Very hard to forget!

Places: The Devil’s Arsehole, UK
Never been there. I can think of a few places here in the US that should’ve been called the Devil’s Arse but have much more normal names.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 8:00am

pretty much ANY name given to their children by ANY rock, pop or sports celebrity Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 8:46am

Ok. parody name for a sword: if we’re talking Monty Python style humor, then you have to go with a sword shop scene full of double entendre...
Perhaps a broadsword named Sir Richard the Penetrator
A scimitar called Peter the Great
And a dagger named Li’l Willie

And of course the woman who is shopping for a sword will throw out lines like: “well that sword’s a bit too floppy, i’int it” and “Do have any that aren’t so curvy?”

The sketch basically writes itself.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 9:19am

When I was a kid I came up with a stupid character with the name Lord Tottingham-Smythe. I have absolutely no idea where I got that name from, how or why I came up with it but I still kind of like it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 9:26am

The UK is ridiculous for town and street names:

Bell End
Brown Willy
Boggy Bottom
Twatt
Nob End
Bitchfield
Titty Ho
Shitterton
Sluts Hole Lane

Etc etc, this is just a few from googling...

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 12:17pm

Jean Herring Funk... a real name.
Roberta M. Fink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 2:59pm

I know someone who's genuine surname is 'christmas'
One of my clients surname is: 'winterbottom'
Apparently his nickname at school was: 'chilly'.
All i can say is the kids at his school were a lot less puerile than at any school I ever went to whistle

Do you suppose that 'Brown Willy' is twinned with 'Boggy Bottom' ? 

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 11:54pm

A good friend of mine's first name is really Cinderella.  I also know a woman named Sunshine.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 6:41am

In Yellowknife, Canada, there's a road called Ragged Ass road. It was named by a couple of drunk prospectors.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)