Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Smashing up some wooden boards (Read 2300 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Smashing up some wooden boards
Apr 17th, 2020 at 12:11pm

Pretty much the title Cheesy

I found these wooden boards in the shared bin area and they were ready made sling targets. I have a second one lined up for the staff sling. Abusing the big frying pan is fun, but that's a slow destruction. Smashing up these boards was very satisfying.

https://youtu.be/gKDvP5wrxN8

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Smashing up some wooden boards
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 2:06pm

Free targets!  No complaints there.  Nice slinging!  It reminds me that the pallet I've been using as a target is going to need a couple boards replaced soon.  Sad

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 5:02pm

Yeah they don't last long. I'm thinking of recombining the deconstructed boards to make a new target or a stand for the pan.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 6:01pm

Nice stuff kick , what weight stones are you roughly using

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 6:22pm

Wow kick, you’re getting more serious both about slinging and making videos!  You’ve been busy lately.   Nice work!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 6:45pm

Impressive accuracy Kick!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 4:17am

Mersa wrote on Apr 17th, 2020 at 6:01pm:
Nice stuff kick , what weight stones are you roughly using

Lightest was 90g, heaviest 136g with most of the others being over 120g. This is the sort of weight range I'm finding the most comfortable and effective at the moment.

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 17th, 2020 at 6:22pm:
Wow kick, you’re getting more serious both about slinging and making videos!  You’ve been busy lately.   Nice work!

Well I don't have much else to do Cheesy I've been working, slinging and playing Minecraft. That's about it Cheesy Now the weather is getting better though I'll be able to go back to woodworking although EVERYTHING needs sharpening and I'm terrible at it.

Morphy wrote on Apr 17th, 2020 at 6:45pm:
Impressive accuracy Kick!

Thanks! I didn't think I'd done all that well out there but when I came to editing the video I realised I didn't do too bad. I did edit out a lot of the misses, but even so I got a fair few doubles and a lot of my hits were at a good height. Bounce hits have been a real problem recently so it nice not to have too many of them.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 8:07pm

Was the wood slightly rotten seems like it was smashing them pretty easy and you weren't throwing overly hard.

great stuff regardless

Keep it up kick

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 12:29am

Wasn't rotten but they've obviously been outside a while and were ready to crack.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:26am

Although I know you probably have no intention of hunting with the sling but one of the cool things about it is bounce hits tend to kill as often as direct hits. So long as it’s a big rock it still hits with a tremendous amount of force.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 2:50pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:26am:
Although I know you probably have no intention of hunting with the sling but one of the cool things about it is bounce hits tend to kill as often as direct hits. So long as it’s a big rock it still hits with a tremendous amount of force.

That's true. I obviously haven't been able to measure how much power direct hits and bounce hits have, but, going by sound and how it looks, the bounce hits really don't lose all that much power. I certainly wouldn't want to take one in the shin.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 8:58am

Staff sling time!

I just have the target in frame because you all know what I look like when staff slinging (silly mostly...) and I cut out the misses and reloads. I didn't actually have that many misses but this is about destruction not accuracy. I was sad I only split the one board, same as with the hand sling, but I think the problem is that the middle struts get popped off and then it looses all rigidity so flexes and the power is dissipated. I'm thinking of taking the boards from both targets and combining them into a single thick target that will be far more rigid. Unfortunately I don't think I have any suitable screws so I might need to get some before I can do that.

https://youtu.be/bNgZNnROP9o

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2020 at 11:11am

I love it. Your long videos are very nice and calming to watch.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2020 at 12:26pm

Thanks, nice to hear! I'm always wondering how much I should edit out. I always think it's good to include the misses to really accurately show how I'm slinging but I also realise that watching a load of misses is boring as hell Cheesy

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #14 - May 5th, 2020 at 3:17pm

I think what you are doing currently is ideal.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)