Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ticks (Read 2442 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Ticks
Apr 14th, 2020 at 1:55pm

Ticks. How do you deal with ticks?
To me it feels like their populations have greatly expanded. When I was a kid I used to run around nature quite a lot but never got a tick. These days it's hard to walk a 100 meters off trail without some of these bastards climbing up on my pants.

As far as I know I've never been bitten and I intend to keep it that way. I only go out in the fields and forests with wellington boots these days and long pants tucked in socks and everything else tucked in nicely. I never go barefeet or with shorts anymore. I also don't wear camo pants so I can easily spot them if they get on my pants.

As for camping, I will never choose a tarp setup and/or sleep on the ground. It's always gonna be a hammock. I also walk more strategically and try to avoid any long growth.  Are there many ticks in your area?

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Ticks
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 2:36pm

We dont have too many ticks,  we are too far north. But a 4 hour drive wil have a ton of ticks. I got 20 acres, and can do whatever i want. We started a flock. Chickens,  ducks, turkeys,  and Guinea fowl. The guinea fowl are known for eating ticks.. into our 2nd year, we haven't seen any ticks since we moved up from NJ

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 3:24pm

Here in Finland, the ticks are moving further and further North each year (thanks climate change!) For the most part they're out in the forest. They aren't so much in the parks. There are various sprays and such to keep them off and tick treatments for pets. But yeah I hate them.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 3:46pm

vetryan15 wrote on Apr 14th, 2020 at 2:36pm:
We dont have too many ticks,  we are too far north. But a 4 hour drive wil have a ton of ticks. I got 20 acres, and can do whatever i want. We started a flock. Chickens,  ducks, turkeys,  and Guinea fowl. The guinea fowl are known for eating ticks.. into our 2nd year, we haven't seen any ticks since we moved up from NJ

Many beaked animals eat ticks, ravens like them too

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 7:00pm

I see them here and there.  Although it's not usually me that has them.  My cat goes outside whenever she wants, so she picks them up.  Two years ago it was really bad.  It seemed like every time she went out she had one on her.  Last year wasn't anywhere near as bad.  She had one crawling on her the other day.  We'll see how the rest of this year goes.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 7:05pm

As vetryn will verify, the ticks are horrible here in New Jersey.  In that we really didn't have a Winter this year the ticks should be worse than ever.  How do  I deal with it?
    The nice little woods near my house is full of deer.  Also it's full of Deer Ticks.  I've had Lyme Disease, as most of you know. It was an extreme case that took fourteen years to drive into remission.  My late wife, daughter, and several of my dogs have had it too.  So starting just about now when the ticks are about to come out until November I stay out of our woods. 
    The dogs get Avdantix (a monthly topical flea and tick killer) from March through November. 
    That said, we still get some ticks on us.  Ticks are a way of life here. 
    When I was a kid we practically lived in the woods.  We got ticks on us all the time.  So did my dog, Poochie.  We pulled them off and didn't worry about it.  It was part of playing in the woods.  There was no Lyme Disease back then. 
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2020 at 1:19pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 7:12pm

I had a bunch on me when I used to do archery outdoors. Tuck everything in and douse yourself in insect repellent was what I did. Oh, and don't walk through/in ferns. Ticks love ferns.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 6:33am

Opossums are tick eating machines. The more you have, the less ticks. Don't bother them.
  The nature preserve I work at have them. They hang out at the top of tall plants and latch onto targets. Avoid tall grasses.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 10:47am

When I lived in Cali I would get ticks crawling on me all the time. Somehow I never had one bite me though my wife did. I’ve always tended towards a lower body temp so who knows maybe I’m less appealing to them than other people. Horrible creatures though. Like mosquitos if they all died off tomorrow  the world would be a better place for it.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 1:32pm

It's not really the tick's fault but just one tick can carry a host of diseases.  Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Epstein Barr Syndrome, etc.  I read about one single tick that was carrying twenty six diseases.  UGH.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2020 at 5:16am

Rat Man wrote on Apr 15th, 2020 at 1:32pm:
   It's not really the tick's fault but just one tick can carry a host of diseases.  Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Epstein Barr Syndrome, etc.  I read about one single tick that was carrying twenty six diseases.  UGH.

The deer ticks are especially prevalent here, sadly it's one of the extra dangerous ones.
Yesterday I was walking on a trail and by scanning the tall grasses you'll see them sitting on the tops, the little bastards

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2020 at 9:00am

Fire kills them Wink Burn your yard and woodlot every couple three years. It is called a cool burn. Just hot enough to singe the bark on trees. Used to call it a controlled burn. but more than a few got out of control Huh The forest service now calls them "perscribed burns" Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 1:33pm

When I was a kid we mostly got the big Wood Ticks on us.  Though they were around we almost never saw Deer Ticks.  Right around the time people started getting Lyme Disease Lone Star Ticks (see picture) showed up.  They are very common here now.  I always suspected that there was a connection.

Lone_Star.jpg (148 KB | 43 )
Lone_Star.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 1:36pm

vetryan15 wrote on Apr 14th, 2020 at 2:36pm:

Guinea Fowl will eat a hellacious amount of ticks.  Jersey townships back in the Pines were  giving them away to people for free for tick control.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 6:35am

Right now it turned cold again, so the ticks are dormant, but in the summer i always carry, I kid you not, badgerbalm. It's all natural and it works.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)