Stick Sling (Read 1993 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Stick Sling
Apr 12th, 2020 at 4:22am

So here is another staff sling video which also includes the stick sling:

https://youtu.be/8ba32KMRriA

The video is mostly staff slinging but I wanted to explain a bit more about the stick sling.

Pros:
It's quicker to reload than the staff sling.
More portable than the staff sling.
It has more readily available ammo than the staff sling as it throws smaller stones.
It can (more on that later) be quite accurate.
It's super fun.

Cons:
It's outclassed by the hand sling on every point Cheesy
It's unpredictable as hell, sometimes being very accurate and at other times slamming directly into the ground.

The unpredictability is certainly down to the way the head of the stick is shaped and I might try adjusting it but it does seem to be more difficult getting the angle right as it's much shorter than the staff sling so a small difference has a big difference on the release angle. It's not a revolution in slinging, but, like I said, it's fun Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

homer9
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Stick Sling
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 2:47pm

I was thinking about this for the past couple of weeks. Surley if you have a normal sized hand sling with a stick added onto the length it would throw a projectile further and faster due to the added leverage.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 3:24pm

From testing this, I think the ability to control the release with the hand sling adds a lot to the power. Perhaps with a better tuned release (mine is really not) it could really get a lot of power, but this one has a very short sling. I might try a much longer sling to see if that works, but I feel that would be very hard to get the release right. The shorter sling I could imagine releases at a better angle and transfers the power better.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 7:29pm

do you think the stick sling could have a triggered release?
is it just a small version of the staff sling

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 12:27am

You could definitely have it so instead of a gook the r s a groove and the release cord runs down the length yo your hand. Would probably take some getting used to.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 2:10pm

I wuold think that the staff sling would be heavy artillery ,  maybe not as accurate but capable if throwing  heavy rocks in an easy high arc,it seems to me that it is easier to increase the rock size to increase energy ..than it is to increase spead beyond a certain point .

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 2:47pm

Kick wrote on Apr 19th, 2020 at 12:27am:
You could definitely have it so instead of a gook the r s a groove and the release cord runs down the length yo your hand. Would probably take some getting used to.

Well I'll be damned. Last week I was just thinking of making something like that when getting home.
Would such a thing actually work on a staff sling? Wondering whether the retention would block the stone or make the timing for launching awkward.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 6:04pm

Staffling is more difficult than you think.  But you can shoot very accurately if you know important factors.  1 mark your hand positions on the staff.  As with string walking when shooting with a bow, different hand positions on the stick result in different distances.  use the same heavy ammunition.  3 don't tear your stick over your shoulder.  It is best to be in a raised position above your head.  Your movement must be very even.  This is the only way the cord will always trigger immediately.  There are other things to look out for.  But that's enough for a beginner.  I saw original Fustibal in a collection in Vienna.  They all had different markings.  Scratched in the stick.  Oh, there's one more important point.  The length of the sling should only be half the length of the stick.  If the sling is longer, the rod can break.  This has happened to me twice already.  Very uncomfortable.  The stick should be about the size of yourself. Not bigger.  Use light sticks.  Willow or hazelnut are very suitable.  Likewise young ash.  In historical pictures you can see David with a staff.  This rod is slightly curved at the bottom.  It is believed to be a shepherd's staff.  Then the curvature would certainly be carried upwards.  I'm pretty sure these bars represent fustibals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2XogFAiB94I

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2020 at 9:01am

Good info, Jaegoor. I didn't know a lot of that. Thanks.
    Homer9; a staff sling will have the same speed and power as a hand sling. It's advantage is that it allows you to launch heavier projectiles while exerting no additional force.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2020 at 11:07am

The stick sling really didn't work out that well. The main problem is just that it does everything a hand sling does but worse Cheesy Still kind of fun to mess around with but full staff slings are where it's at.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2020 at 2:25pm

If you don't experiment you never know.
I've found that bamboo also makes an excellent staff sling.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2020 at 2:29pm

Very true. It was an accident that I made it really. It was just because I cut down the original staff sling and had the piece of wood spare.

IP Logged

Tigger32
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2020 at 12:33am

Question on that video, what bag/pouch are you using for the ammo?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2020 at 4:18am

The one I was using for the staff sling ammo is an Hungarian gas mask bag. Really cheap from a army surplus website (in fact I got two for the price of one and sent one to Curious_Aardvark in an exchange) and it works great. Hard wearing and holds a lot of ammo. The small one in the above picture I use for really small ammo and I made that myself from jute using nålbinding.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris)