Send Topic Print
World of Weapons. (Read 5024 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
World of Weapons.
Apr 6th, 2020 at 6:29am

The Smithsonian channel is running a series called the world of weapons. They analyze weapons mostly from the past and explain their advantages and disadvantages. The sling will be on the series.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: World of Weapons.
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 6:39am

Interesting to see what they say and who they get on to say it. I'm going to go ahead and guess it will be an archaeologist that's used a sling for 30 mins 15 years ago Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 11:51am

yeah - no-one contacted me, so they probably haven't done much research.

Still you never know - think positive Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 12:18pm

30 whole mins? You don’t give them enough credit. They used that thing for a  45 mins Kick. They are practically an expert.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 9:31pm

Watching the sling segment now. Very well researched. The slinger their using is Luis Pons Livermore, champion slinger.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 11:36pm

any link ??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 12:08am

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/world-of-weapons/1006412

I found it here but I'm not able to watch it over here (still haven't got myself a VPN).

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 3:46pm

Thanks for sharing.  This series also did an episode that had a trebuchet.  I will have to figure out how to watch this show.  I am very interested now.

IP Logged

Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 11:15am

I watched the series.  I thought the sling segment was great.  They had Luis make a sling, attempt to train some people with tennis balls, and they took some footage of Balearic slingers from David Morningstar's Youtube channel (I think).  But best of all, they filmed Luis throwing and had him put a stone through a chronograph, shoot a ballistic gel dummy, and put a glans (glandes) into the dummy.  I think they even mentioned the weight of the stone and the meters per second, but I can't remember how much the stone weighed.  It was going 52 meters per second I think.

I liked the trebuchet segment too.  But overall I found the series kind of bland, disappointing, and with very poor writing.  The episodes didn't tie together at all, and each episode had three different weapons which sometimes didn't tie together either.  It would have been better focused entirely on the ancient and medieval worlds.  Or at least if it had left out the 20th century.  It had too wide of a scope in trying to cover weapons from the stone age to the future and thus left out a lot of cool ancient weapons.  And the show made some attempts to moralize war by showing the human cost of the weapons, but while showing the human cost of weapons is generally a good thing, it just didn't seem to fit in with the overall narrative.  And it didn't give any single weapon enough time to be really worthwhile.  Jack of all trades, master of nothing.  A person would be better off doing their own research into things they are interested in.

The best part was the experiments and the hands-on stuff, like with the sling and the trebuchet.  But a lot of the experiments were kind of poorly designed and hasty.  They made a cannon and then shot it through a "ship" which wasn't nearly as thick as a real ship.  Especially the catapult segment was poor.  The ballista was very underpowered and weak and the bolts weren't flying properly.  They did an accuracy test and half of the shots missed a large tower shield at like 20 meters.  Then they said, "for the ancient world this is remarkably accurate."  Thus they did poor tests and overvalued their tests.

But the Mike Loades stuff was great.  Because Mike Loades.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 6:17pm

I just bought the episode on Google Play for $2. Worth it to watch Luis absolutely obliterate some stuff.  52 m/s at that small of a target is no joke. That's incredible.

John R.

IP Logged

Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 8:24pm

Brandon F on YouTube just made a good video talking about the series.  Maybe his breakdown of the problems with just one of the experiments (with rifles) will help to clarify what I was saying earlier about how the experimentation is poor.  The experimentation is indeed entertaining, but it could be SO much better by making it more historical and scientific.  You can't really call it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdx0Fe5QtWM

Even the slinging segment could have been improved easily with better writing, more specific conclusions, and more scientifically conducted experiments.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 8:10am

IronGoober wrote on Jun 12th, 2020 at 6:17pm:
I just bought the episode on Google Play for $2. Worth it to watch Luis absolutely obliterate some stuff.  52 m/s at that small of a target is no joke. That's incredible.

Always knew when Luis was slinging during the competition in Mallorca.
CRACK! BANG! "Yep Luis is up again..."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 9:15am

52m/s with the size of stones he used is insane power.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:11am

Morphy wrote on Jun 13th, 2020 at 9:15am:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the sling and stones he was using were different than his usual setup. It looked like the sling was lighter and the stone looked smaller.  Doesn't detract from the fact that I'm not sure I could hit 116 MPH, EVER.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 6:04pm

IronGoober wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:11am:
Morphy wrote on Jun 13th, 2020 at 9:15am:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the sling and stones he was using were different than his usual setup. It looked like the sling was lighter and the stone looked smaller.  Doesn't detract from the fact that I'm not sure I could hit 116 MPH, EVER.

Ya with accuracy makes it even more amazing. Throwing slow and accurate is great but that degree of speed and accuracy is a whole other level.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris)