World of Weapons. (Read 5026 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: World of Weapons.
Reply #30 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 2:39am

Anyone else notice the stone slipping out of the sling early at 26:40?

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #31 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 3:25am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:57am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #32 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 7:07am

IronGoober wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 2:39am:

Yes! Stood out like a sore thumb

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #33 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 7:23am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 3:25am:
IronGoober wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 2:39am:

Yes, that's what happens when you have thin cords tied to a flexible pouch at the middle. They flex sideways.
If he used a cradle pouch instead he would not have that problem like on this staff sling.
Cradle pouches allow very good sideways stability even with very flexible thin slings.

I no longer use this type of staff but i still use the cradle pouch depicted here as a hand sling
It works wonderfully well even with 500G+ rocks and as a hand sling.
It made me realize that thick stiff cords are really not a neccesity for heavy rock slinging, it's the sideways stability that matters, not the stiffness or weight.
I can throw heavy rocks much further and farther with this thin cord cradle pouch sling than with a heavy stiff balearic sling of this size.

The rock depicted here is a 500g rock and I have no trouble throwing it as a hand sling pirouette style. In fact I throw it further that way than using the staff.
I only get very dizzy  Shocked

The sideways stability you speak of is a crucial factor for retention of large and odd shaped stones. I call it pouch rolling when the pouch rolls over and dumps the stone out sideways, and roll resistance or stability the characteristic of a sling which resists this. Seems to account for nearly all premature stone drops.

It is why I mainly favour balearic or thicker apache for larger stones. You can also replicate some of the effect by whipping either side of the pouch to increase stiffness, or using a stiff connection method. Not tried a cradle type pouch before.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #34 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 4:23am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:56am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #35 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 11:53pm

I use a split pouch sling nearly 100% of the time (only recently have I tried out new slings). I have very rarely had a problem with stones falling out unless I have a weird wind-up. While some sling designs this can be problematic, split pouches I have used fit almost everything quite snugly.

And I was only pointing it out because I thought it was funny to have a "highlight" picture of someone throwing an errant shot. Probably put in the reel because the person didn't know much about slinging.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #36 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 12:48am

I Alsation don’t have any issues with slipping stones, polished steel balls however are a different story, need them to be perfect

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #37 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 11:18pm

IronGoober wrote on Jul 26th, 2020 at 11:53pm:
I use a split pouch sling nearly 100% of the time (only recently have I tried out new slings). I have very rarely had a problem with stones falling out unless I have a weird wind-up. While some sling designs this can be problematic, split pouches I have used fit almost everything quite snugly.

I found the same thing. Where I have run into problems however, is when each side of the split pouch is too narrow or slippery. Apart from that, I have found the design to suit my purposes perfectly (throwing different size river stones) without any safety concerns.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 7:12am

You can get good reliability with many slings, but specifically large and oddly shaped rocks will often slip out of pouches that are not stable against rolling (or that aren't long enough).

To have near perfect reliability and smooth release on all types of rocks I think is quite challenging for a sling. There are always trade-offs, and even then you might also want to consider the efficiency/weight of a sling.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #39 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 8:34am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:46am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man)