Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Move back 10 feet challenge (Read 13886 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Move back 10 feet challenge
Reply #75 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 8:37am

Thanks guys!

Kick wrote on Sep 22nd, 2020 at 11:58pm:
I really need to have another go at this one with the sling and maybe the staff sling too. That could be interesting to see how I do.

That makes two of us.  I've been meaning to do this again with a sling, just haven't done it.  Maybe after the pumpkin challenge.  A staff sling comparison would be cool!

IronGoober wrote on Sep 23rd, 2020 at 12:58am:
I wish I had 60 yards in my yard!

When I bought my house, that was one of the things I was looking for.  I wasn't slinging at that time, but I was making bows and wanted to be able to shoot them in the yard.

Mersa wrote on Sep 23rd, 2020 at 4:00am:
are you a gap shooter , or instinctual?

Generally I'm an instinctual shooter.  Although when doing this video I switched to gap once I reached some of the longer shots.  This is the farthest distance I have ever shot this bow, and the lack of practice at 100+ feet made instinctual shooting almost impossible.

Mersa wrote on Sep 23rd, 2020 at 4:00am:
What’s your poundage too?

The bow in the video is 44 lb. @ 28 inches.  The length is 64.25 in (163 cm) from nock to nock.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #76 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 11:25am

I find a close distances I’m better probably just gripping and ripping it but at longer distances I’m much better using my point as a reference, face walking has been a game changer also, I might try copy you and do this with my bow too , what’s the target size ?

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #77 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 12:28pm

Yep, I'm definitely with you on the technique change for different distances.  Especially when shooting far and trying to get the angle dialed in.  I've never used face walking.  But just getting a consistent anchor point is probably one of my biggest problems.  I'm usually pretty close, but it tends to vary a bit for close vs. far shots.

Target size is 2 ft X 2 ft.  So about 61 cm X 61 cm.  It would be very cool to see you give this a shot.  I think I mentioned before, my biggest concern was shooting constantly for that amount of time.  I didn't want to have terrible shots at the end because of fatigue.  The long practice sessions worked great because at the end of the challenge I would have had no problem shooting another 100 arrows.

One more thing I'll mention, the backstop was invaluable.  I think I had about 7 or 8 shots clear the top, but it saved so much time when gathering up arrows.  I was looking at getting an actual arrow catch, but opted to just use a piece of plywood.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #78 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 11:06pm

Joe, we should give this another go. I think we could both do better. But you need to get a golf net to speed up recovering ammo.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #79 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 1:56am

This was a fun challenge. But for now I’m TRYING to get back into slinging random stones.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #80 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 10:16am

I would be game.  As soon as my yard dries up or freezes.  All through the holidays it has been mild and rainy in my area.  I've had nothing but mud and puddles of water for a few weeks.  The temperature has dropped off though so hopefully that's going to be done.

I don't think I'll need a net.  I'll 100% be going with ice.  If it's really cold, I should be able to gather up anything around the target.  The rest can be left where it falls.

Are you thinking we switch to a balearic target?  That's pretty much my easiest option right now.  Although it is a lot bigger than that little pallet I used to use.  It does have the advantage that a round could be done where any hit is good, and another round where a diana is needed to back up farther.  It will be interesting to see how much difference there is.

@Mersa - Why back to random stones?  Had enough of those tennis balls?  Wink

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #81 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 5:05pm

Yeah I’ve been training almost exclusively with tennis balls for a while now. Wanna get back into some stone slinging and just walking around slinging.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)