Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Move back 10 feet challenge (Read 13888 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Move back 10 feet challenge
Reply #45 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 8:49pm

PracticalParacord wrote on Apr 25th, 2020 at 4:55am:
Great Challange to practice  daily.Good excersie and will push you to learn fundamentals you wouldn't learn in a short sling session.Fun Fun Fun
Thanks for the challange Joe.
https://youtu.be/fzDAgnOEx-0

https://youtu.be/yWLnezi34Gc

I saw your videos a few days ago, I ran into your channel out of the blue. It's good stuff. I love all of your videos so far.

Just out of curiosity, did you see Simon Lizotte's video first, or Joe's challenge first?  I saw Simon's video first, like only a few days before Joe put up the challenge, so it was kind of strange, since I just started following Simon's videos.

Also, what is that disc made out of? it doesn't seem as heavy as steel, but it seems more robust than aluminum (or aluminium for all the non-Americans).
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2020 at 9:24pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #46 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 11:06pm

PracticalParacord wrote on Apr 25th, 2020 at 4:55am:
Great Challange to practice  daily.Good excersie and will push you to learn fundamentals you wouldn't learn in a short sling session.Fun Fun Fun
Thanks for the challange Joe.
https://youtu.be/fzDAgnOEx-0

https://youtu.be/yWLnezi34Gc

Good stuff man!  Good to see others trying this out.  Totally agree, it's great fun!

Mersa wrote on Apr 25th, 2020 at 8:13pm:
Seems like 100ft starts getting pretty difficult, that’s roughly 30m?? I’m hoping I’ll make it to that distance in a hour.

I think one of the big things is that when you get out to 100 feet, you've been slinging for a while.  And because of the time limit, not really giving yourself a break.  So your muscles definitely start to get tired.  At least that was the case for me.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #47 - May 3rd, 2020 at 4:48am

So I attempted this challenge today.
Went pretty well considering the few problems I had with filming, cameras falling over, batteries going flat and cross wind. I was using my rubber practice ball and my backstop wasn’t ideal either, I’m going to attempt this again with a smaller target and a better backstop. All my distances past 70ft were stepped out and could have been slightly more than 10ft apart. I cashed out at 100ft because my phone battery was on 5% like I said I’m going to redo this challenge and set it up better.

I’ve only just finished reviewing all my footage and will hopefully find a way to edit it so I can put a few clips up but I thought I’d share my data from the review.

10ft: throw 3 , 00:32
20ft: throw 9 , 01:15
30ft: throw 16 , 02:15
40ft: throw 20 , 02:55
50ft: throw 26 , 04:26
60ft: throw 33 , 06:36
70ft: throw 62 , 15:23
80ft: throw 65 , 16:36
90ft: throw 70 , 19:03
100ft: throw 106 , 38:45

As you can see I had some trouble at 70ft and 100ft.
70 was when I started to feel tired and 100 was heavily effected by crosswind probably a 10ft plus drift over that distance.
Overall I’m fairly happy with my attempt but now I really want to try again for the full hour and with any luck I’ll hit 100ft in under 100 throws.
My target was similar size to joes
Might go back with a measuring tape and get the exact size or even do my remaining 20minutes.
None the less it was fun and I totally understand the fatigue side of things now.
Great challenge and good practice.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #48 - May 3rd, 2020 at 12:33pm

That's really good! Nice job. I need to redo this challenge and do the indoor challenge.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #49 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:44pm

That's great Mersa!  You did quite a bit better than I did.  I'm going to keep working with this over the summer and, like you mentioned, hope to get a hit at 100 feet in 100 throws or less.  You're already so close to that.  My 100 foot hit was number 143, so I've got some work to do.  Fantastic job my friend!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #50 - May 3rd, 2020 at 9:41pm

Sorry about the quality of filming and editing this is the best I can do

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #51 - May 4th, 2020 at 9:29am

Nice!

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #52 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 2:19am

Here is my attempt. Only made it back to 120 ft. I got stuck at 90 ft for like 30 minutes. When I finally made the 90 ft hit, I made it back to 120 in about 10 minutes.  Sorry, the video doesn't have the times, I neglected to look at them since I was using my phone to film. 

I had a cross/head-wind the entire hour. It was very irritating. I was also using my 10 m target sling which holds my practice lacrosse balls very nicely, but it imparts a wicked spin to them (apparently). When I switched slings, to a flatter pouch, I started doing a lot better.

I think I might try this again...

https://youtu.be/EvfubWzk0vo

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #53 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 9:34am

IronGoober wrote on Jun 14th, 2020 at 2:19am:
Here is my attempt. Only made it back to 120 ft. I got stuck at 90 ft for like 30 minutes. When I finally made the 90 ft hit, I made it back to 120 in about 10 minutes.  Sorry, the video doesn't have the times, I neglected to look at them since I was using my phone to film. 

I had a cross/head-wind the entire hour. It was very irritating. I was also using my 10 m target sling which holds my practice lacrosse balls very nicely, but it imparts a wicked spin to them (apparently). When I switched slings, to a flatter pouch, I started doing a lot better.

I think I might try this again...

https://youtu.be/EvfubWzk0vo

You always undersell your very impressive slinging videos IG.  Grin That was definitely top tier slinging. You answered the question I had about spin here.

Seems like they are wanting to drop pretty sharply at around the 25-30m mark.  When I noticed myself having the same issue I turned my palm upwards a bit during the throw instead of it being more parallel to the direction of the throw. It helped immensely. Instant laser straight shots and they didn’t lose power nearly as fast due to not fighting against the drift caused by the spin.

Have you been to the Balearic Islands yet? Seems like you could do really good there.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #54 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 10:15am

@IronGoober - Great to see someone else giving this a try.  Awesome video man!  Great slinging! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #55 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 12:05pm

Quote:
You always undersell your very impressive slinging videos IG.  Grin That was definitely top tier slinging. You answered the question I had about spin here.

Seems like they are wanting to drop pretty sharply at around the 25-30m mark.  When I noticed myself having the same issue I turned my palm upwards a bit during the throw instead of it being more parallel to the direction of the throw. It helped immensely. Instant laser straight shots and they didn’t lose power nearly as fast due to not fighting against the drift caused by the spin.

Have you been to the Balearic Islands yet? Seems like you could do really good there.

Thanks Morphy. I noticed the drop too. I kept hitting right under the target and whenever I tried to adjust up, It would alter the rest of the shot and it would go up and left.  I will definitely give the wrist position thing a chance, sounds interesting.

And no, I haven't been. I would love to go. I am always nervous to go somewhere that English isn't the first language though, not because I don't think they will speak English, but because I feel like a philistine for not knowing their language.

Quote:
@IronGoober - Great to see someone else giving this a try.  Awesome video man!  Great slinging! Thumbs Up

Thanks Joe, it was fun. I think I might try again, maybe make a shorter video.  I just like having honest videos that show my misses as much as the hits, so viewers get a real sense of what using a sling is like. 

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #56 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 2:21pm

Great slinging IG and on a small target, impressive!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #57 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 7:42pm

Quote:
As you can see I had some trouble at 70ft and 100ft.
70 was when I started to feel tired and 100 was heavily effected by crosswind probably a 10ft plus drift over that distance.

I can attest, cross-winds make it much harder, so I feel your pain/annoyance.

Quote:
Great slinging IG and on a small target, impressive!!

Thanks Mersa. I liked your inclusion of the times directly in your video. I tried to figure out a way to do that, but am not that clever (or motivated). 

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #58 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 8:38pm

I gave it a second try and did much better. There was much less wind this time around. I tried turning my palm up like you suggested, Morphy, and that did seem to help some. 
I made it back to 150 ft within the hour, including talking to some guy for 5 minutes about slinging.

I tried some balearic style at the end (I rarely practice this) and seemed to get some extra power! I was surprised, usually, I don't with this style.  The trajectory was much flatter, but I'm unsure if it was due to spin, or power, or both. Fun though! I might try practicing this a bit more after this attempt.

https://youtu.be/rkJETV8-Bmk

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #59 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 4:49am

Great slinging! I need to have another go at this challenge. I've been  working a hell of a lot and haven't had much time to sling or edit videos.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger)