Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One of my YouTube videos got a 'dislike' (Read 1706 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
One of my YouTube videos got a 'dislike'
Mar 26th, 2020 at 9:22pm

Just to get this out of the way first, I'm not upset in any way.  When I saw the dislike, I had a few moments of disbelief and confusion.  Then I laughed my a$$ off for a couple minutes.

Here's the story.  I have a friend who likes to disc golf and recently started a YouTube channel.  I finished watching a video he recently posted and logged in to subscribe to his channel.  While I was logged in I did a casual scroll through the stats of the videos I have posted.  One of them seemed to have an unusually high number of views.

It's one of the earlier videos I made.  It was during the 'egg hit' challenge in 2019.  It's here in case anyone is curious, https://youtu.be/xxOone9vokc.  The video isn't even hits on the egg, but rather the paper plate that was holding it.  The view count was over 100 (which is huge for me), so I opened it to take a look.  And saw that it had one dislike. Huh

Again I'm not upset at all.  It was quite amusing to me.  From a video quality standpoint, it's pretty bad.  It hadn't occurred to me that I should use widescreen rather than portrait.  The light isn't good (although that's the sun's fault).  And the quality is low because my phone was junk.  But all that said, I would be shocked if the dislike came from a slinger. Wink

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: One of my YouTube videos got a 'dislike'
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 9:38pm

Congrats Joe!  You’ve reached the next level as a YouTuber!  You’ll know you’ve really made it when your comment threads start attracting trolls Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 9:58pm

Thanks!
For the comments I put up a defense.  I just disable them.  I don't know if I could handle that. Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 11:55pm

I've had the same with some of my videos. I recently noticed my old staff sling video has a crazy number of views: 544! That's not me bragging, it stands at 4 likes 3 dislikes which is actually a pretty terrible rating. I have no idea how it happened but I assume it somehow got picked up by the all-mighty algorithm.

Another weird thing, my 11 second wood gas stove test video got 332 views, which is again bizarre, but the very next video of me making a cup of tea on it (24 seconds long) now stands at 7 views.

How do people make a reliable living off it? No wonder so many YouTubers burn out from stress.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 5:18am

I don't understand it either . what is it that makes someone hit dislike? my comments are on I haven't got an answer yet. I don't remember if I've ever disliked anything only to like.
I remember when I uploaded the compound sling video, it got a dislike in the first hour. probably a purist slinger ?
probably people see a video they take it as a statement and if a statement is different than their perspectives then they dislike it.

@Kick
that all-mighty algorithm seems very dystopian, living off the time of humans. Longer videos, consistent uploads, clickbaity thumbnails, diluted content. pewdiepie is probably trying to break it by uploading 3-4 videos an hour long in a day lol Tongue

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 10:18am

I don't understand the dislike button. It's so meaningless and petty to dislike videos.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 11:25am

Everything draws dislikes on Youtube.  Even a Jimi Hendrix vid will draw a few dislikes.  I definitely wouldn't give it a second thought.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 11:27am

Kick wrote on Mar 27th, 2020 at 10:18am:
I don't understand the dislike button. It's so meaningless and petty to dislike videos.

Often videos deserve the dislike button.  Though I think it is overused.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 3:10pm

You could make a video of you revealing the cure for cancer while walking on water with light shining down from the clouds and angels announcing peace on Earth and someone would downvote it. It’s inevitable. I think I’ve bothered to downvote all of 10 videos in the last 12 years of being on YouTube. It never even crosses my mind for the most part. Some trolls love it though. It’s not really a reflection of the video until you really get a lot of downvotes.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 11:03am

just switch comments off Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 4:22pm

Yeah, I have comments turned off.  I still have the thumbs up/down visible though.

It's all good.  It was a pretty entertaining moment when I discovered it.  Not meaning I hope to get flooded with thumbs down ratings.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2020 at 12:18pm

Kick wrote on Mar 26th, 2020 at 11:55pm:
Another weird thing, my 11 second wood gas stove test video got 332 views, which is again bizarre, but the very next video of me making a cup of tea on it (24 seconds long) now stands at 7 views.

Ok so I really felt I needed to update to just show how insane YouTube is. This video, 11 seconds long remember, now has

1061 views.

What?
How?
Why?
I don't get it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)