Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making effective hand/surface wipes (Read 597 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Making effective hand/surface wipes
Mar 26th, 2020 at 8:02am

So isopropyl alcohol is either unavailable or so bloody expensive it migh as well be unavailable.

But I do have a couple bottles of acetone (use it to clean the printbeds on the 3d printers).

Also have a lot of dry wipes.
The strongest vodka we've got is on;y 50% alcohol. And they recommend 70% minimum.

Thing is I'm getting work in - people are at home and brealking their computers Smiley

So Looking for something to wipe down laptops with before fixing.

A quick wipe with acetone should be fine. Just got to be careful I don't dissolve the abs casings Smiley

So what are you lot using - if anything ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Making effective hand/surface wipes
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 8:22am

Just get a bottle of methylated spirit and dilute a bit. The stuff they sell for alcohol burners.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 11:38am

95% grain alcohol. Also have some 92% isopropyl.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 3:48pm

Teg wrote on Mar 26th, 2020 at 8:22am:
Just get a bottle of methylated spirit and dilute a bit. The stuff they sell for alcohol burners.

ordinarily that would be doable. But there is nothing for sale anywhjere that hasn;t been jacked up to ridiculous amounts.

Weirdly my mum had a ilitre spray bottle of 70% isopropyl - so we're good for the forseeable future Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 1:47am

Acetone is nasty stuff. It can cause chemical burns from dehydrating your skin, and it’s even worse in your lungs. Don’t use it to clean stuff unless you wear gloves and a respirator.

Vodka is by definition just ethanol and water... you can distill it a couple of times to concentrate the ethanol content. Everclear is less pure but starts you at a higher alcohol content.  Check local laws before building your still.

If you want to make absolutely sure things are clean and virus free, light your alcohol wipes on fire before using them Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)