Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exercise in Quarantine (Read 1605 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Exercise in Quarantine
Mar 25th, 2020 at 3:20pm

I'm curious. How is everyone staying fit whilst stuck inside? Honestly, I'm not doing so well. I've never been one for consistent exercise. Some ideas I've been looking into (but, as yet, have not been truly put into practice) is Charles Bronson's book Solitary Fitness (available here: https://archive.org/details/BronsonSolitaryFitness) and then this video on Indian clubs has peaked my interest: https://youtu.be/gsdsMoOorMk.

Bronson, having spent most of his adult life in solitary confinement and maintaining impressive fitness and strength, seems an obvious person to at least hear out. I haven't got through the whole book yet, but what I can gather from it is exactly what I didn't want to hear. In order to get strong, you have to exercise a lot.

I've heard of Indian clubs and considered trying it out but the video has really interested me as Matt Easton mentions how it's helped with an elbow injury he has. Guess who overextended his elbow recently...

Anyone have their own routines or tips?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Exercise in Quarantine
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 3:53pm

I go for a run every other day.

Other than that: Some recorded video trainings. The usual cardio /aerobic mashup training. That helps for motivation. I also do pilates regularly, which is worth a lot when you have a sitting profession Cheesy.
I do miss the team and contact sports I usually do though...

On the other hand I cooked a lot recently. And well on top of that. Guess I'll put on some weight nevertheless.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2020 at 5:00pm by Teg »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 5:05pm

I’m open to any excercise regime so long as it’s couch-inclusive.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 10:06pm

I have a rowing machine I can use in my house... and I burn a few calories whenever I wipe the dust off of it Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 5:43am

I'm coming from a break so I am weakened and will have an adaptation period which is perfect for the quarantine.
I can't run outside, my skipping rope broke and I'm bored to buy a new one, so instead I just jump for warm ups.
good thing is when I started working out years ago I started in my room so I already have plans and "equipment", they are just not as heavy as in the gym so I perform exercises faster. The exercises that are going to be missed are barbell deadlifts and squats because I can't find a compound movement that loads the lower back like them. pistol squats work the glutes and thighs but not the lower back or the torso. Sad

Don't stretch statically before any kind of exercise. Before exercise warm up thoroughly and do dynamic stretches, then work out , and then stretch statically and stretch again before sleep.

Read more than 1 book.
But there is no need to read books to start. The most basic workout would be : 10 exercises,  3sets 12 reps or circuit training

you can make a second workout targeting the same muscles but with different exercises and alternate between them. 4 days/week is a good start, if you are too sore just do warm ups and stretches and skip the workout for the day, go lighter next time if needed.

The most difficult part will be to find equipment, if you can't or don't want to buy..
Screw dumbbells are good for home.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 7:05am

You can still go outside, so I'm doing a lot of hiking. I did 3 days in Pennsylvania last week, and I'm looking at Alleghany State park next week.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 7:43am

well round here people are just going out and wandering around.

I have genuinely NEVER, in 37 years, seen so Many people in the local fileds and woods, where I walk the dogs, as I did last night.

I swear if someone had sneezed they'd have wiped out half the county !

My favourite exercise is to just sit agaimst a wall. get your thighs as close to parellel to the ground as you can and your spine as straight as you can with as much of your back in contact with the wall as you can.

And just see how long you can stay there.
It's okay to start gradually and increase the angle of your legs as they get stronger.

Apparently it's supposed to be hard - I've always found it quite easy. But it really warms up your large leg muscles and knees.

I try and get 10 minutes in before I do my qui quong class. If I don't then I come out and my knees really hurt. If I get the 'sit' in they tend to be fine.

And because you are really testing your big quadricep muscles, it's a good calorie burner.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 10:30am

I've been a fan of fitness blender for a long time (https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos ). They do full length free videos and have a great search function. Want to do some High Impact Interval Training? Strength training? Stretching? They've got it. Do you want something with a jump rope? Dumbells? No equipment? They've got it and it's readily searchable with just what you're looking for.

They are my go to cardio source.

Do yoga with me has something similar but aimed at yoga.

I love my kettlebell and indian clubs but the kettlebell doesn't mix well with my children. They try to walk into it whenever I try to use it. I love them... but that can get frustrating.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 12:12pm

Sarosh wrote on Mar 26th, 2020 at 5:43am:
my skipping rope broke and I'm bored to buy a new one, so instead I just jump for warm ups.

Surely you have a sling long enough Cheesy

Sarosh wrote on Mar 26th, 2020 at 5:43am:
Read more than 1 book.

This is a good point. I definitely don't advocate finding one thing and making it a religion. I have basically no equipment so body weight training is a good option and who better to get an opinion from? Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 12:23pm

Give "https://www.amazon.com/Bodyweight-Strength-Training-Anatomy-Contreras/dp/1450429..." a look. That was the best one I read for mainly bodyweight training. Good sports science in it. "you are your own gym" was the second best one I read. The "convict conditioning" type stuff I read was not as well balanced.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 1:17pm

I'm sort of stranded.  My bowling alley is closed, of course.  Normally I walk the dogs every day but I somehow hurt my right foot over a week ago.  I'd love to exercise now that I have all the time in the world.  Hopefully my foot will heal soon.  I'm going stir crazy.  My life is currently trolling tRump on Facebook and watching TV. Right now it's Beverley Hillbillies reruns Ugh!
    When I do exercise I like to do a day of weights, a day of calisthenics, and a day of Karate exercises.  Plus dog walk daily and bowl twice a week. 

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 1:23pm

Interesting. Thanks! I'm going to spend my next day off coming up with a routine I can stick to and hopefully carry on forever (of course with adjustments and such).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)