Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Coronavirus (Read 33254 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Coronavirus
Reply #90 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 7:20pm

I'm fine either way. I'm holed up over here and have maybe a bit too much time to think  Cheesy.

On a completely unrelated note:
Maxima in number of new cases in Switzerland were reached on 6.3., 13.3 and 20.3. The last two days the numbers dropped again (21. and 22.3.). A nice 7 day cycle.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #91 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:33pm

Teg wrote on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 7:20pm:
I'm fine either way. I'm holed up over here and have maybe a bit too much time to think  Cheesy.

Not the only one. Smiley

Quote:
On a completely unrelated note:
Maxima in number of new cases in Switzerland were reached on 6.3., 13.3 and 20.3. The last two days the numbers dropped again (21. and 22.3.). A nice 7 day cycle.

Yes. I remember you writing that earlier... still thinking about it. Probably I ought to apply a few statistical tests Smiley.

Here's what I think is a nice link for the nerds among us. An excellent Youtube channel by a prominent American virologist in New York - of all places. There are some superb lectures on virology where he has worked a little of the current coronavirus into the lectures, but also podcasts which are bang up to date.

This particular podcast starts with discussion about symptoms with a trainee doctor on what he is seeing. May be worth a listen - the play speedup facility is useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDg6Rbaf4I0

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #92 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:54pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 20th, 2020 at 3:07pm:
   This idiotic panic buying is quite annoying and totally unnecessary.  If people would just shop as then normally do there wound be no shortages.  The latest item to be panic bought... distilled water.  Now I can't get distilled water for my CPAP machine.  If you use regular tap water the minerals in it gunk up and destroy the machine.  In the overall scheme of things this is small potatoes but it's still a pain in the rump. 

Yes. The panic buying is a pain - I suppose people (some people?!) thought if the ordinary drinking water was sold out they would go for the even-more-expensive distilled water instead?

As I see some gross stupidity centered around shopping, though I think there is some method to some of what appears to be madness.

I've come to the conclusion that the best chance I've got of acquiring this little viral gift is when visiting the stores for essential shopping. Could be in part that people are shopping in larger amounts to reduce their number of visits to the store?

We've also got such stripped down 'optimized' supply chains now that shelves probably empty under less of a demand than would have been the case maybe twenty years ago.

Re. the CPAP - if it really needs the distilled water maybe some kind of ad hoc still? You've obviously more experience of it than I have, but I should have thought you could get away with ordinary water for a few days?
Hope the stores settle down soon and you can get the water you need.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #93 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 5:17am

There is no stupidity in hording food/buying, but there is stupidity in being so late to do it. The smart people did it a month ago.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #94 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 5:45am

I went today and spent about double what I normally would. There is still plenty in the shops, only a few things were entirely sold out (not the things you're thinking of either, all the chocolate spread and most of the peanut butter was gone). I really don't want to catch this because, if I do, it WILL kill the people I work with. There is no ambiguity. They would not survive this. For that reason, I'm trying to go out with other people as little as possible. Won't need to shop now for a pretty long time. We haven't gone into full on rationing "Not going to step outside for even a minute" so we have still been getting fresh stuff now and then. If we did have to go on full lockdown we have a lot of supplies to last a fair while.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #95 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 6:31am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 23rd, 2020 at 5:17am:
There is no stupidity in hording food/buying, but there is stupidity in being so late to do it.

I agree with this. But smart people started years before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foz-8p3jg1A

any action that causes spikes in demand is harmful for everybody and is idiotic or malicious. That is how economy works we believe it will work and that it will keep working, you trust that other people will keep their promises(supply/demand) and will exchange goods for money, that is how money have value. If money lose value because of idiotic actions and nobody stops the fall then trust is lost, promises are broken and those who panic at the end lose too.
idiots are those who harm others while they harm themselves.
so if you haven't been doing it before covid-19 it's idiotic to do it now . start slowly or better when the crisis is over.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #96 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 6:58am

Barber shops and salons are now closed. Things are going to get ugly.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #97 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 11:07am

slingbadger wrote on Mar 23rd, 2020 at 6:58am:
Barber shops and salons are now closed. Things are going to get ugly.

LMAO

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #98 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 12:35pm

don't you have Italy measures in the US yet? judging by Italy and Spain numbers you should.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #99 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 3:40pm

As of this morning, 152 confirmed cases. Two deaths in Az, US. No known cases in four of the 15 counties.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #100 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 4:43pm

Well. U.K. has just announced:

Everyone must stay at home except for:
Shopping for essentials as little as possible.
Allowed out once a day for some sort of exercise on one's own or with family.
Medical need.
Travel to and from work.

To be looked at again in three weeks.

Apparently the police are going to enforce it. Not very likely given a lot of the country hardly ever sees a policeman.

Looks similar to the restrictions current in Italy.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #101 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 5:06pm

Sarosh wrote on Mar 23rd, 2020 at 12:35pm:
don't you have Italy measures in the US yet? judging by Italy and Spain numbers you should.

U.S. has some great advantages over Europe in terms of its land area. Many of the cities are not as dense as Europe or in Asia so can expect spread to be less catastrophic, but it will be bad. They have not taken action early enough.

New York is already in a bad way, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago probably a few days behind. They are all pretty dense, like most European cities.

- no point really fleshing out the details. It's all pretty inexorable.  Sad

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #102 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 5:17pm

Kick wrote on Mar 23rd, 2020 at 5:45am:
I really don't want to catch this because, if I do, it WILL kill the people I work with. There is no ambiguity. They would not survive this.

You are doing all you can, and you obviously care. Keep strong!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #103 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 5:21pm

Same to you and to everyone out there. Good luck and good health!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #104 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 7:44pm

Sarosh wrote on Mar 23rd, 2020 at 6:31am:
so if you haven't been doing it before covid-19 it's idiotic to do it now . start slowly or better when the crisis is over.

That's all well and good in theory but in practice? No. The social contract even in our day to day interactions is in flux. Humans are not acting normal because we all know on a damn deep level that things are not normal. I'm not saying it's reasonable to clear out your grocer's meat section. I'm saying that buying groceries until you can last a month without resupply is utterly reasonable. Bill it as a tragedy of the commons if you wish but it is reasonable, logical, and inescapable.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark)