Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Coronavirus (Read 33116 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Coronavirus
Reply #45 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 5:51am

I wonder if heart disease and deaths are going to increase now that people can and are urged to live sedentary lifestyles.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #46 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 7:20am

Sarosh wrote on Mar 17th, 2020 at 5:51am:
I wonder if heart disease and deaths are going to increase now that people can and are urged to live sedentary lifestyles.

I would hope we are not in this situation long enough for these restrictions to affect our general health in that way. It's more the mental health implications that I think will bite first. Many people need direct social interaction frequently and probably won't tolerate these kind of restrictions for very long.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #47 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 7:55am

Well, San Antonio is officially shutting down. I should have enough supplies for my family, and I can work from home, but keeping a family of 5 sane while we’re all cooped up in the house for days (weeks?) is going to be interesting.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #48 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 8:00am

Teg wrote on Mar 17th, 2020 at 4:45am:

Thanks for the link  Smiley

Quote:
Letality on the ~1% range overall, with ~0.5% for anyone below 65.

I'm curious how the infection rates in Italy will develop with the estimated ~5 day lag. The effects in infection numbers should soon become visible in the statistics. Then you can estimate what may happen in the US. Effects of the bans in Austria, Spain, France, Switzerland, etc. should start to show next week, I hope. It's a maths game now.
Death rate may follow with another ~5 day lag or so.

I think the lags will be rather longer than that, but I hope I'm wrong. I can't recall what the development in Wuhan was after the full lockdown, but I don't believe there was any significant diminution of the cases for several weeks.

Whether we'll be able to spot some reduction over unconstrained exponential growth, i would hope so. This whole thing is going to become a classic in modeling when the dust has settled and all the 'unknowns' are known.

I think the 'asymptomatic' and 'marginally symptomatic' infections was badly underestimated here, giving rise to the experience Italy have had, which was that their infection was being driven by a much larger group than they thought. We might in hindsight have figured that out when the eye-watering number of infections popping up in other countries were traced directly back to Italy.

Same is happening in the other countries. According to BBC a few days ago they estimated 10000 to 15000 cases 'unseen' in the U.K. population. I think even that was a considerable underestimate.

So we've seen all the countries come to the conclusion that they can't actually shut the thing out, and that the cases they see are to some extent already 'in the pipeline'.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #49 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 9:28am

wanderer wrote on Mar 17th, 2020 at 7:20am:
It's more the mental health implications that I think will bite first.

I do strongly agree. If you get confined, make sure to keep communication channels / scheduled chats etc.

wanderer wrote on Mar 17th, 2020 at 8:00am:
I think the lags will be rather longer than that, but I hope I'm wrong.

The longer, the more dangerous...

The 5 days I quoted have a reason. First, it's an estimate I have seen until people develop symptoms.
Second, if you watch the numbers of new infections in Switzerland:
Max. on 6.3. (Friday) then slow decline, re-max on 13.3. (Friday) then decline (with singularity on 15.3.)
You can interprete this a number of ways:
- We see the work week of the laboratory personel.
- It may imply the people migration from northern Italy (i.e. assumption that no significant domestic spread happened, which is no longer true today). Assuming the virus was transported by people returning from weekend trips to Italy, this would give ~5 days until showing symptoms. Testing on Thursday, positive reported on Friday.
- If it was domestic spread, which it is now, then it's a longer ~7 day incubation period until showing symptoms...  Assuming we caught most of the infectous people early at this stage and only a couple "point sources/bursts" happened.

Or it is pure change or any non-obvious cause...
But I assume this "cycle" will wash out very soon. If it doesn't, it's probably the work week.

I agree with your other thoughts... Unfortunately...

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #50 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 9:34am

Sarosh wrote on Mar 17th, 2020 at 5:51am:

If anyone needs it:

https://archive.org/details/BronsonSolitaryFitness

Who better to turn to for fitness tips in a quarantine situation than a man that's spent almost his entire life in solitary confinement?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #51 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 11:29am

There are many bizarre theories going around.  One claims that drinking a broth made of boiled garlic will cure Coronavirus.  Another says that you should use a hairdryer to heat your sinuses and lungs to 146 degrees Fahrenheit.  People are actually believing these things and passing them around.  It's sad to see so many panicking and acting like fools.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #52 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 11:42am

Kick wrote on Mar 17th, 2020 at 4:35am:
An Italian hospital ran out of ventilators but managed to bring in a 3D printer and print enough off to "save the day". I think something that will be interesting to see is how society changes after this. How hospitals are supplied and run will be entirely revised in some countries I would imagine.

Things are changing. Who knows in what direction but 2020 is going to be remembered.

Very cool. I had not heard this. Good news for those of us getting ready to go through this.

I am curious as to why Italy seems to be hit so much harder than other places. Let’s hope this is not indicative of a more virulent strain. I’ve heard some say it’s because of their older population.

South Korea is (or was) doing fabulous. Median age= ~42
Italy is being hammered with a median age of ~47. 

As of the 12th which is the last I checked, Italy had less than twice as many cases as S. Korea but almost 20 times more deaths.

I guess it’s possible they just had a case of bad luck on where the outbreak begin. Hard to say. That’s a pretty big difference though to blame it all on a difference in median age of 5 years.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #53 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 12:43pm

I think elderly population and the fact people are very close in proximity to each other just let it spread and kill like wildfire. Everyone is constantly touching, hugging and kissing in Italy and generally being in much closer physical contact.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #54 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 12:53pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 17th, 2020 at 11:42am:
am curious as to why Italy seems to be hit so much harder than other places.

My guess is way less dark cases in S Korea, i.e. much higher test rate.
Numbers I see suggest about 4-10x more tests done in S. Korea compared to Italy.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #55 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 12:59pm

I have to go to work on Thursday... I think I'm going to be cycling for the foreseeable future because I'm sure to get it if I have to take two buses twice a day for multiple days in a row.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #56 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 5:53pm

This virus can be the catalyst to the collapse of our fragile, unsustainable economic system.
We knew it had to come someday.
We are in for a ride...

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #57 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 1:18am

I work in a retail store. In fact we actually have hours set aside now for elderly folk, immune deficient people, and pregnant women to buy things. I’m not sure how we are going to enforce it.

On a different note; it is kinda fun though to think what if society collapsed due to the fears people have about this...

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #58 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 6:13am

First, impossible these days for training the sling.
I like walk ; so I walk at the end of the night because all are prohibited (very frenchy) with financial penalyties.
And it's strange that all people in the world live the same thing.
Like "the war of the worlds" of HG Wells in 1898, the virus is the stronger. Just my thinks. Undecided

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #59 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 6:40am

TOMBELAINE wrote on Mar 18th, 2020 at 6:13am:
First, impossible these days for training the sling.
I like walk ; so I walk at the end of the night because all are prohibited (very frenchy) with financial penalyties.
And it's strange that all people in the world live the same thing.
Like "the war of the worlds" of HG Wells in 1898, the virus is the stronger. Just my thinks. Undecided

Ive been thinking the same thing lately. This whole situation reminds me of what people on the Gulf Coast feel when they have a massive Cat 5 hurricane days from landfall. The collective angst, the feeling of waiting on the brink of something huge that you have no ability whatsoever to change.

Unlike a hurricane though, in this situation you can’t simply drive more inland. The world right now is experiencing that feeling all at the same time and it’s quite surreal.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar)