Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Coronavirus (Read 33246 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Coronavirus
Reply #210 - May 13th, 2020 at 9:21am

RM I think your plan to lie low is the right one. The data seem to show that if you're <45 and have no pre-existing conditions you are probably ok. If you're over 45 AND have health conditions? It's not good.

I'm really lucky, my family has not lost income and is not facing hardship. I know others are facing that. I think we will probably move to a "folks above 45 keep self isolating but the rest of us go back to work". Not for "the economy" but so you can pay your bills.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #211 - May 13th, 2020 at 2:32pm

Kick wrote on May 12th, 2020 at 3:20pm:
Rat Man wrote on May 12th, 2020 at 2:06pm:
   We are a hot spot here in the Northeast.  In my county, Camden County New Jersey, there are currently 4,758 cases with 217 deaths.  I am laying as low as possible.  This is a giant turd sandwich.

What's the population size? Here in Finland we've had 275 throughout the whole country, majority of them being in Uusimaa.

506,471 was our population in 2019.  Our problem is that we're situated between major cities.  Philadelphia less than twenty miles to our west.  New York City is about a hundred miles to the North.  To the south we have Baltimore, Washington D.C., etc.  The Northeast Corridor is densely populated and a ripe breeding ground for any virus that comes down the pike. If I lived in North Dakota I'd be a lot safer.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #212 - May 13th, 2020 at 2:52pm

Finland has managed to keep a pretty tight lid on it so far. Things are opening up again, slowly, and of course that's where it's most dangerous. I think people are a little bit more relaxed, a few more people on the buses, fewer people wearing masks. I just really hope it doesn't blow up. We've had a handful of instances that seemed worrying, but, for now,  our entire hospital area has had zero cases which is really wonderful.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #213 - May 13th, 2020 at 6:52pm

I know I've said this before. The world won't be "normal" again until there is a vaccine.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #214 - May 13th, 2020 at 8:57pm

I am of a pessimistic bent. I'm seriously wondering whether we will get a vaccine that is effective enough to let things go back to normal. It may just be that those who are at risk have to take extraordinary precautions and self isolate. I don't mean that heartlessly, just wondering what the new normal will be.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #215 - May 14th, 2020 at 2:19am

There's already movements linking a coronavirus vaccine to (sticks hand into a hat and pulls out...) George Soros and (hand back in the hat) Bill Gates and (again) Democrats and that it's all a plot to mind control the public or poison them or something equally ridiculous. Even if the vaccine is 100% effective with no side effects (which it won't be because it's impossible) I'm guessing a large number of people won't get it and that could be disastrous if the virus is allowed to mutate.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #216 - May 14th, 2020 at 11:44am

It's not that people will use a vaccine to poison others, it's that for the sake of getting a patent first they will care a little less about quality and results. There was a time when scientists were paid to say smoking is good for you. Research is guided and withheld and there is no reason not to.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #217 - May 14th, 2020 at 12:59pm

well you can't stop a virus mutating. That's just nature.

A vaccine is needed, but so is a reliable test that says whether you've had it or not.

And a lot more evidence that having had it once you can't:
a) catch it again
b) still be a non-reactive carrier.

That at least will allow people who have had it and don't know - or do know, to go back to normal.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #218 - May 14th, 2020 at 1:05pm

Fortunately I've pretty much kicked the diabetes - but apparently just having had it (unknowingly) for some years, puts me into a high risk category.

I'd argue with that - based on evidence that my immune system is still fully functional - my nervous system is a different matter.
But, however you look at it - statistically I am at risk.
Personally I think it went through the midlands like a wildfire in january/february.
And everyone you speak too had the symptoms in those months, some needed antibiotics, some like me, had a 'cold' that took a little longer to kick than usual.

But without the test - there's no way of knowing for sure.

Apparently a test IS about to be rolled out and available on the nhs. So we'll see.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #219 - May 14th, 2020 at 11:49pm

Whether or not one can become reinfected is a gray area:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid-19-reinfection/ ;

At a family gathering this past Christmas I caught a bug from my nephew from Indiana.  It was like a cold but it took forever to get over.  I'm not convinced that I didn't already have it.  I hope so, even if it means that I'm self quarantining for nothing.  But as c_a mentioned, without testing who the hell knows.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #220 - May 15th, 2020 at 7:42am

The problem is that gray area fundamentally changes the game. It's comparatively easy to get a vaccine for chicken pox. Get it once and you're immune. Something like the flu on the other hand is only partially effective. The question is what kind of vaccine will we have? And, for those of us who are at risk, what do we do then? I had been planning on visiting my remaining grandparents this year as they don't have much time they have left. But I don't want to bring this and kill them. I don't know how we will deal with the elderly if this proves to be like the flu in the population instead of like chicken pox. We might have to completely change how we deal with the elderly.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #221 - May 15th, 2020 at 8:38am

At my job in an old folks home, the new guidance is we have to wear a mask when in close proximity to our clients for more than 15 minutes. Apparently coronavirus waits 15 minutes before pouncing... I understand that they HAVE to give firm guidance, but I don't feel particularly protected by the cheap Chinese masks that don't fit properly even if I was wearing one for my entire shift. The problem with this virus is that it's just SO contagious. Everyone's pushing wearing surgical masks or homemade shirt-masks and THEY DON'T STOP THIS VIRUS. It's like putting a plaster on a scraped knee while your arm is only hanging on by a tendon. I'm just thankful Finland is getting through this with so few infections compared to other places. I had a horrific cold after I came back from the Mallorcan competition, but I always catch a cold in airports and I traveled through 4 airports in 2 weeks. I think it was just a bad cold, not quite the right symptoms, but, like you say, who knows?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #222 - May 15th, 2020 at 10:18am

We had 81 people test positive in just one nursing home near us. No telling how many in others around here.

Very few people here are dying from it. I question how so many people seem to be dying in New York and so few everywhere else in the US. People are living close to one another but hell...81 old and infirm in one nursing home means it’s all over the place here as well. Still not seeing anything close to the numbers as New York. Let’s focus our quarantine where it’s needed most rather than the whole country shutting down.

Also, I would sure love YouTube to stop censoring all dissenting opinions from qualified doctors. I’ve seen several videos with doctors from different parts of the country giving tons of real world data from their practice, not “models”.  They go super viral and then get deleted. Not for breaking any of the terms of service, but for presenting opposing scientific data that goes against the mainstream narrative.

I don’t like the precedent being set by this. It’s too emotion/fear based. More data is better than less. More discussion from trained and respected doctors is better than less. Censorship and taking away freedoms “for the greater good” concerns me. Especially when we can’t even seem to discuss the issues from all sides without being shouted down.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #223 - May 15th, 2020 at 12:40pm

Kick wrote on May 15th, 2020 at 8:38am:
I don't feel particularly protected by the cheap Chinese masks that don't fit properly even if I was wearing one for my entire shift. The problem with this virus is that it's just SO contagious. Everyone's pushing wearing surgical masks or homemade shirt-masks and THEY DON'T STOP THIS VIRUS.

One thing to keep in mind about the masks, they're not supposed to protect you.  The mask is supposed to protect everyone else from you.  The idea is that the moisture in your breath (potentially carrying a virus) as you exhale is absorbed by the mask instead of floating around in the air.  As to the actual effectiveness of this, I have no idea.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #224 - May 16th, 2020 at 12:11pm

I get that, but it's still peddled as protecting yourself because they're worried people won't care enough about their fellow man to wear them. And yeah the effectiveness of all this is still seemingly very much up in the air. It's all just very stressful and I can just see the situation unfolding where I have to be wearing a mask for 8 hours a day for... ever.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)