Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Coronavirus (Read 33111 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Coronavirus
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 4:38am

I got a phonecall this morning from my boss saying that the rules around working after being abroad have changed for those working with vulnerable people (like myself). There has to be two weeks away from work after being abroad (anywhere abroad, doesn't have to be a hot spot) so, because I was in Mallorca, I can't be back at work until next Tuesday... Even though I was at work on Wednesday... Well I don't mind some extra time off. I was supposed to start at 10 today but instead I went panic buying. Got a fair amount of food (and some extra bog roll) and there were some empty shelves but it was't true panic buying. It wasn't like people were running around carrying random items screaming. This is still Finland. There weren't any fights in the aisles or pushing to the front of the queue. Very civilised. We usually have a fair amount of longer lasting food so we should be fine for a fair while.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 4:57am

One advantage we have is that there are a lot of hares around our area and I'm probably one of the few people around here with the equipment necessary to... acquire them Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 5:08am

Yep I feel ya on that one, I’m lucky enough I can get by for a short while on what I got and if we really get in strife my sling and bow will become prized possessions.
I’m happy to go into the wilderness if it seems like a better option and have always worked on my bush craft skills. I think a small part of me wants to see if I could survive but I would also like to go surfing and do other things that require some level of social stability. Let’s just see how this unfolds!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 5:11am

I don't think it's going to get that bad. There was a good point made on Twitter that seeing things getting cancelled and new rules coming in is scary but it shows it's being taken seriously and things are being done to improve the situation. It would be scarier if nothing was being done.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 5:21am

It’s people that are scary not so much the virus.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #20 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 6:37am

Sarosh wrote on Mar 12th, 2020 at 6:54am:
Ignorant people and people who don't care exist, good luck to the rest . Undecided

I expected this virus to spread faster with so many flights compared to the past.

had planned a trip to Italy for 25-3 I believe the flight got cancelled too late . the return flight on 7-4 which is between 2 red zones still remains to be cancelled! They want to hold on money until the last minute!

I'm very afraid of the political side of this . what freedom are we giving up? for how long? who's the judge? who's the enforcer? and who can judge them both? what new laws are being passed behind our backs?
Stigma on people who traveled to red zones or come from them is probably going to create rifts, there is fertile soil for acts of racism .
quarantines are going to be longer than advertised.  At first I thought that the virus was going to burst the current economic bubble, seems that it didn't happen, it is so big that it can buy itself time. Tongue

I was thinking that places with quarantines would get births boost 9 months later but a friend told me that couples are actually breaking up after spending more time together. don't know what to expect.

how big it's gonna get https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg (it depends)

Mersa wrote on Mar 12th, 2020 at 1:00am:
Of course this is a real thing, but so was sars and the swine flu

I got to ask what is the difference between coronavirus all these viruses because I don't remember such measures been taken in the past(maybe I don't remember well). Was there already a vaccine for them?

Our illustrious leader is using it as an excuse to build the wall. That will keep the virus out.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:46am

“Morphy?! You’re alive!“

Why yes I am my good Sir. Hope everything is going well in San Antonio. What a generic virus for our first movie style pandemic. Am I right? I refuse to accept this. Zombie Apocalypse or bust.  Wink

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #22 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 9:01am

slingbadger wrote on Mar 13th, 2020 at 6:37am:
Mersa wrote Yesterday at 12:00am:
Of course this is a real thing, but so was sars and the swine flu

I got to ask what is the difference between coronavirus all these viruses because I don't remember such measures been taken in the past(maybe I don't remember well). Was there already a vaccine for them?

MERS ,SARS illnesses and this 'novel coronavirus' SARS-CoV-2 are all 'coronaviruses', there are many of these which affect various animals including farm and domestic, but currently seven of them infect humans.

Because it involves mention of SARS, you are mostly seeing the term COVID-19 used instead. The latter refers to the illness not the virus.

They all look similar under the electron microscope, and reproduce once they are inside a cell in very similar ways. This new one seems to be closely related biologically to the original SARS virus, (it is now very easy in the lab to read the genetic information of a virus and compare it with others, not that easy only 15 years ago) and the clinical manifestations (severe pneumonia) are SARS-like.

The main difference between this and SARS in terms of its spread is that there is a lengthy period after infection when the person has no symptoms, during which they can obviously travel around, and in which they can be highly infectious to others. This time currently estimated at around 5 days, but could be longer in some cases. SARS you typically were recognized as being very sick before you were majorly infectious to others.

I think the so-called 'screening' of temperatures which popped up at airports around the world missed most of the infectious cases passing through - I havn't seen any information about how many people were stopped by these measures or the follow up on them.

It also may be (I think it is the case) that there are a significant number of people that are/were infected and infectious but whom never developed any symptoms that took them to a doctor.

Edit: The early results from China suggested about 17% to 20% of people who catch this disease at least badly enough to see a physician progress to needing hospitalizations.

- (corrected the percentages - not as scary as I mistakenly wrote before)

Vaccines take a lot of time (and money Smiley) to develop. Currently there are trials on antiviral treatments, but there will not be a vaccine this year. Vaccines are potentially dangerous and unpredictable, you need to test very carefully that they don't cause more harm than good. That's what these 'clinical trials' are about. Even so - those trials will be starting in the U.S. and probably elsewhere in the next few weeks (there are many vaccine candidates), but they will take months to complete. This will be the fastest in the history of the world that a vaccine has gone into trials, so the NIH/CDC (in U.S.) and others are not hanging about here.

The Chinese have been experimenting with all kinds of treatments, but it's not yet clear how successful they are.

The bottom line for the difference between this and MERS and SARS? Those don't spread nearly as easily as this one does. On the other hand this one is not as fatal. 'Ordinary' 'flu kills about 0.1% of those infected. This new virus seems likely to be significantly more dangerous. The current 'gut feel' estimate from people I trust is about 1-2%.

It is also pretty clear now that, like the 'flu, this predominantly causes serious harm to older people from late 50's onwards, although there are exceptions! Children appear to be less affected by it than the usual 'flu. However, one always has to worry about mutations getting around that might make the virus even more infectious, or more harmful. If this eventually infects around 1 billion people (1/6 of the world's population and probably a significant underestimate) that is a heck of a lot of little mutation experiments going on. I think currently there are two distinguishable strains going around.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 9:58am

@
wanderer

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I wish I could go to the mountains for a year. People are really stupid. With quarantine they stop working and instead meet out in playgrounds and coffee shops!
it's game theory 101 and I'm losing to stupid right now , let's hope darwin's theory will turn the tables Tongue

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 12:55pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:46am:
“Morphy?! You’re alive!“

Why yes I am my good Sir. Hope everything is going well in San Antonio. What a generic virus for our first movie style pandemic. Am I right? I refuse to accept this. Zombie Apocalypse or bust.  Wink

Well put Morphy.  Until people are bleeding from their eyeballs, I refuse to believe that this is more of a threat than swine flu or any number of other random blips on the landscape of mutating viruses.  It’s the fear and panic that are truly different this time.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #25 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 2:53pm

Well... that was fast. Grocery store shelves are emptying. The panic is starting, and it’s going to be worse when everyone gets off work this evening. Stay safe out there slingers!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #26 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 3:28pm

I think it's ramping up everywhere. I think the shops will restock fairly quickly though. We aren't at supply breakdown point yet. I expect more restrictions to come into effect in Finland in the next few days. 155 cases confirmed so far, most of them mild. Only 69 are in the Helsinki and Uusimää region so I'm not too worried yet. In a lot of ways, it's good people are so concerned. It might well help to reduce infections and keep people away from each other. Almost all gatherings and concerts and events are cancelled which I really see as a good thing.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #27 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 5:38pm

We are one of the few states that do not have any cases yet, up here is Maine. I work at a local grocery store and yesterday the toilet paper, and lysol was completely sold out, including the Walmart right next door was sold out. The two issues my state has is that we are right on the border,  so we see a ton of Canadian come through for shopping.  I am not sure exactly what thier numbers  look like, but the other issue is in regards to it affecting the elderly,  Maine as a state has the oldest age average.  Mostly oler, retired people live in this state, most young people leave for better jobs, yada yada. So when we do get a case it has the potential to spread very rapidly and i am expecting a lot of casualties unfortunately.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #28 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 10:37pm

The craziness has hit my town as well.  I stopped at the grocery store for a couple things this evening.  Toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, frozen chicken, and other stuff...all gone.

I have to say that seeing it in person definitely gave me an eerie feeling.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 11:55pm

We did our weekly shopping this am. No tp, paper towels or chicken soup. None. Really weird.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man)