Coronavirus (Read 33242 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Coronavirus
Reply #105 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 9:44pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 23rd, 2020 at 5:17am:
There is no stupidity in hording food/buying, but there is stupidity in being so late to do it. The smart people did it a month ago.

Those who are familiar with my posts know that I always keep my house well stocked.  With rationing we could probably survive for a year or more on what I have here.  It makes no sense to be completely dependent on the super markets for one's survival.  I'm not a hard core prepper so there are certain items I will run out of... perishable food, toilet paper, etc.. but I won't starve for a good long while.  I will never understand why everyone doesn't stockpile a reasonable amount of emergency stores.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #106 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 4:00pm

wanderer wrote on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:33pm:
Probably I ought to apply a few statistical tests

The head official for transmissive diseases was asked about the reduction in number of cases in Switzerland in the past few days. His interpretation: We probably see the limit in capacities.

So don't forget to test on lack of tests  Lips Sealed

On a more serious note: Which ones were you thinking about?

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #107 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 6:54am

I am ready for a long and a hard quarantine.
I have sowed radish in my garden.  Cheesy

DSCN4385.JPG (1077 KB | 12 )
DSCN4385.JPG

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #108 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 7:01am

Sorry for the size of the photo

DSCN4385.jpg (493 KB | 46 )
DSCN4385.jpg

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #109 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 12:22pm

Finland are bringing new restrictions tomorrow. The borders of the Uusimaa region, which contains Helsinki, are being restricted to try and stop the spread North as the majority of cases are here in the South. It's also to help relieve the strain on the hospitals further North because people from the South started running off to their summer cottages. Great plan until they start getting sick and find the nearest hospital is miles away and has no beds because they are the only hospital for 100s miles.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #110 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 1:28pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Mar 26th, 2020 at 6:54am:
I am ready for a long and a hard quarantine.
I have sowed radish in my garden.  Cheesy

We are thinking of putting in a vegetable garden here too.  For the same reason. 

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #111 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 10:19pm

I'm very glad I'm retired.  My last job as a Cable TV Technician would be one of the worst right now.  On an average day I would probably be in sixteen peoples' homes.  It would be impossible to avoid the virus. As it is now I only have to leave the house to go shopping for non-perishables.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #112 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:00am

I have a friend in the Navy that was just diagnosed. He's on a carrier now quarantined off Guam. There are no isolation facilities on the ships, and the hospital ships are not going to be used. They are totally unprepared for this.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #113 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 10:11am

I can't think of a better way to spread this disease and create herd immunity in the population, than by telling people they can only go out once a day and limit their shopping.

I have NEVER seen so many people out and about walking on their own or with their kids.
People who would normally be vegetating at home in front of the tv, are now going out and about - I suspect partly because they've been told they can't and partly because if they can only go out for a walk once a day (when previously they would never do this at all) then by god they ARE going to go out once a day !

And given that people now HAVE to shop once a week, because you can only buy aweeks worth at a go, less if you have a decent sized family - there are also more people in the shops than before the limitations as well.

Not sure if it's a midlands thing or national.

But telling someone they MUST do something is pretty much guarenteed to make bloody sure they do the opposite.

A much better way to stop the spred would be to tell people they absolutely MUST go out 4 times a day for a 3 mile walk.
And if they don't shop at least 3 times a week, in a variety of different shops - then they'll get chraged double price for all their groceries.

Then watch the shops empty and the streets and footpaths clear !

I've seen no bio security in the shops.

People do appear to have stopped buying chicken though.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #114 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 10:51am

CA, The spring break for the college students went on, despite the ban on gatherings. Now many have the virus. A lot of churches are ignoring the ban and are still doing large services, because "God will protect them."
Oh, and the Christian college Liberty university is open, and now students are dropping from the virus.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #115 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 11:29am

A gas station pretty close to me and a grocery store (where I've always done most of my shopping) have both had an employee test positive.  I'm not too worried about exposure because I haven't been to either in over a week and I'm not sick at all.  Just scary with it hitting so close to home.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #116 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 12:30pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 30th, 2020 at 10:11am:
People do appear to have stopped buying chicken though.

what's wrong with the chicken?

by the way my government spent 11million euros to advertise stay home when at the same time we dont have enough nurses and beds

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #117 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 1:58pm

Restrictions are being extended in Finland to the 13th of May. I doubt this will be the only extension. Deaths and infections are still low here. There are more deaths in the UK than Finland has had confirmed cases so I'm not too worried about the virus. This is going to kill a lot of businesses though...

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #118 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 2:15pm

My wife’s friends mother is on a vent right now with Covid and is expected to die. There’s nothing that can be done for her. I have a dry cough and shortness of breath but I’m almost positive it’s just allergies as the high pollen level alerts are going out like clockwork and I’m allergic to practically everything in the Houston area.

Even so I had to stay home from work today. That to me is the worst thing about all of this. You stay home because you cant risk passing this on to your coworkers and their families.

You get tested and come back negative but then 3 weeks later the Houston area goes up like New York is right now and I end up getting it, Now I have to stay home again??? Or I have more allergy symptoms and don’t end up staying home and give it to coworkers who then infect their families? Or option number three I have allergy symptoms, stay home and now I’m the “boy who cried wolf”. There’s not one good scenario in any of those.

This whole thing is so strange I keep thinking I’m going to wake up at any moment.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #119 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 2:43pm

I know what you mean. Every time I have even a bit of a tickle in my throat I start thinking "Is this it then? Have I already passed it on? Am I going to hear about it burning it's way through our ward?". I think by the time this is over, everyone will know someone at least affected if not killed by it. One of my parent's neighbour's children had it but has now recovered. I'm sure more people I know will get it eventually.

There was one point a few days ago where it really got to me. I had a real wave of anxiety, but it's not going to help anything so I'm pushing through. As we say in Finland, Tsemppiä!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark)