Send Topic Print
Accuracy thought (Read 2149 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Accuracy thought
Mar 5th, 2020 at 2:23pm

An interesting thing which has helped my accuracy a bit in close range is to keep in mind the offset. Let me explain-

When you sling at a target you try to path a trajectory between you and your target and throw along that trajectory. The issue here is that the projectile does not actually fly from your eye but instead about a meter or two off to your right (or left for left handed). This is a very strong effect in close range and weakens as range extends. I've personally found that visualising the trajectory from the stone release point towards the target useful in hitting both close and medium range targets.
Now, most will do this kind of thing automatically, or simply subconsciously 'learn' the offset for their chosen range. I think that deliberately visualising it works better for me as it levels out the inconsistency over ranges and you won't do the wrong correction when switching ranges.

Anyone do anything similar?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Accuracy thought
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 4:24pm

I like both ways, subconscious/intuitive and deliberate visualization and correction of offset if I miss a lot.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 4:38pm

I haven't, but now I'm going to give it a try.  I've definitely noticed that after slinging at fairly close targets (10-20 m is my usual in the yard), if I switch to distance slinging for the last few throws, my throws are usually off to the left.  Taking the angle of the throw into account, that makes perfect sense if my release point is staying the same.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2020 at 12:58am

Today I made a very similar discovery. I was down by the river, hurling stones at both short and longer range targets, and I found that I had a much greater degree of accuracy at about ~70m, than a close up ~20m. However, when I made a mental note of where the stone was being released from (in relation to my eyes), my accuracy at close range improved quite a lot.
I think that this could prove to be rather valuable, as with practice this 'awareness' of the stone will become instinctive.

As an afterthought, it seems a bit of an obvious thing to do...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2020 at 8:59am

Several observations:
I like to throw tennis balls because it’s easy to see where they hit, and I try to have 5 or 6 on hand so I can walk my shots in and make immediate corrections from shot to shot.

Another thing that helped me specifically with balearic style is to point at the target during the release instead of continuing to follow through and swing the hand past the target (the ball follows the hand off to the side).

Third, I take a cue from long-distance shooters and focus on consistency before accuracy. Rather than immediately correcting for offset, see if you can get multiple shots to have the same offset as the first, then make a correction after you are more confident that the problem is the lateral offset and not something else like timing.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2020 at 1:42pm

JudoP wrote on Mar 5th, 2020 at 2:23pm:
An interesting thing which has helped my accuracy a bit in close range is to keep in mind the offset. Let me explain-

When you sling at a target you try to path a trajectory between you and your target and throw along that trajectory. The issue here is that the projectile does not actually fly from your eye but instead about a meter or two off to your right (or left for left handed). This is a very strong effect in close range and weakens as range extends. I've personally found that visualising the trajectory from the stone release point towards the target useful in hitting both close and medium range targets.
Now, most will do this kind of thing automatically, or simply subconsciously 'learn' the offset for their chosen range. I think that deliberately visualising it works better for me as it levels out the inconsistency over ranges and you won't do the wrong correction when switching ranges.

Anyone do anything similar?

Absolutely.  Also you can apply this to almost any activity that uses hand/eye coordination. Pool, basketball, bowling, etc..

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2020 at 4:42am

Yes, especially with sidearm/Balearic style.
I think a large part of accuracy is being aware and present in the moment like this. I suppose you could say being scatter brained will give you scattered shots!

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 7:22am

Extremely helpful advice. It really helped me closing in on small, ground level targets.
When doing a greek overhand I imagine it flying from above my head. I guess you can also visualize whether you throw a downwards line or a little parable.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 1:18am

I like Mr Noone's point about consistency, which I struggle to achieve

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 12:16am

One thing that has helped me, which wasn't apparent to me my first few years of slinging, was to develop how a shot feels, develop the tactile feedback for how to correct it. When one is throwing by hand, it is easy to feel how the projectile left your hand, so you can easily make adjustments. You have to understand what it feels like when the shot goes high, when it goes low or when it is to the right or left. Since your hand is only in indirect contact with the projectile I, personally, have had a harder time developing this sense. And if I don't sling for a long time, I tend to lose it.

But if you can develop it, and if you can feel where a shot is going to go before it gets there, it is much easier to make adjustments. For me, sometimes a shot feels really good, but it still misses. So that tells me I still don't have a full understanding of how all the mechanics should feel.

I remember for a while, I would look at my target, close my eyes, sling, try to visualize where it was going to hit and then look to see if I was right (sometimes the stone was too fast or I was too slow to see where it hit). This was a pretty useful exercise for me, but not something I do on a regular basis. Maybe I should try again.

I think if you can visualize in your head how a shot is going to feel before you throw it, it is a useful exercise.

John R.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 7:04am

IronGoober wrote on Apr 23rd, 2020 at 12:16am:
One thing that has helped me, which wasn't apparent to me my first few years of slinging, was to develop how a shot feels, develop the tactile feedback for how to correct it. When one is throwing by hand, it is easy to feel how the projectile left your hand, so you can easily make adjustments. You have to understand what it feels like when the shot goes high, when it goes low or when it is to the right or left. Since your hand is only in indirect contact with the projectile I, personally, have had a harder time developing this sense. And if I don't sling for a long time, I tend to lose it.

But if you can develop it, and if you can feel where a shot is going to go before it gets there, it is much easier to make adjustments. For me, sometimes a shot feels really good, but it still misses. So that tells me I still don't have a full understanding of how all the mechanics should feel.

I remember for a while, I would look at my target, close my eyes, sling, try to visualize where it was going to hit and then look to see if I was right (sometimes the stone was too fast or I was too slow to see where it hit). This was a pretty useful exercise for me, but not something I do on a regular basis. Maybe I should try again.

I think if you can visualize in your head how a shot is going to feel before you throw it, it is a useful exercise.

Interesting, I will give it a try.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 9:43am

In the same vein I found at some point I knew how a good throw felt before I could ever actually articulate what was happening. A good throw had greater tension and more resistance at the beginning of the power stroke. It took me awhile to realize how important the lag angle of the sling is as you are initially pulling into the power stroke. Once I figured that out I began to focus not on the end of the throw but the beginning of the power stroke. It made a big difference for my accuracy.

IP Logged

duckdiver
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

san mateo coast
Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 4:27pm

I think the flight characteristics of a projectile is less important for short range accuracy than for long casts, as long as your particular casting tech is consistent, however bad it may be.  so as you attempt longer and longer shots the ammo needs to be increasing consistent.  to use archery as an example;
In my back yard l have many targets (2 ltr soda bottles) scattered about a hill side that give me ranges from ~2to 30 meters.  to avoid irritating or endangering the neighbors and/or damaging arrows I use low power bows and really old crappy, arrows w big feathers for targets out to 20 yards. it doesn't seem to matter much which combination of bow/arrow I use to have about a 3” group, which is good enough to hit my targets, while allowing me maintain  exercise, etc....When I use  the same eclectic equip at my local archery range, to the disgust of the good shooters, my groups expand to about 10” at 25 yards, and cant hit a 4x8 backstop w any 2 shots at 50.

My best slinging accuracy occurred years ago when I lived near 100 acres of abandoned orange groves waiting for a developers bulldozer as a kid in orange county calif, and used oranges as ammo.  They seemed to be a perfect size/weight ratio , and there was an unlimited supply of whatever size needed to match sling length. 

IP Logged

PalouseSling
Tiro

Slinging for Social Distancing

Washington State, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 10:17pm

I bet oranges make a very satisfying splat!

Just starting out. Waiting for the water to go down for some smooth rocks. Railroad ballast is good enough for government work. I now know all the places with decorative river rock in town.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker)