Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling length and technique (Read 3775 times)
Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Re: Sling length and technique
Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2020 at 5:44pm

Ok, I have been thinking about the wind-up typology and I think I have come up with a effective way to describe a wind-up technique.

Basically:
1. you have to describe the technique in vague way
2. you have to describe WHAT to do, not HOW to do it

And of course you still have to consider all the things universal to slinging (focus, empty mind, how you pull the stone around, carry out steps automatically, etc.)

Here is my attempt at describing the side throw technique I talked about in my original post:
1. hold your arm out to the side
2. pull upwards
3. pull downwards
4. release

The point of describing the technique in such a vague way is that the individual slinger has to fill out the details of the throw as each feels fit.

Now, I came up with this just today and have so far only tested it out on marshmallows but following those steps instantly made my throw both more accurate and gave me longer range. The four steps are based on my realization that I wasn't properly pulling the sling down which often made my throws awkward and that simply describing the needed motion as "pulling downwards" instantly improved my throws.

I hope this post made more sense than the one I started this thread with and please do tell me what you think  :D

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #16 - Mar 6th, 2020 at 6:55pm

It sounds very similar to the 'whip' technique described in someone's thesis I found. When doing this technique, I rock the stone to the side of my body and then behind me (just like in the Primitive Technology's sling video) before the windup as I find it gives me more power. However, I ultimately switched to Balearic for its great strengths in power and accuracy. In my experience, adjusting a technique for the length of a sling is perfectly normal. With Balearic, a sling that rests just above the ground works best for me as anything more feels less efficient for its length (If that makes sense).
I have personally found that if reliance is placed on the arm for power, it will actually rob energy. I get most power when my arm is relatively relaxed and acting almost whip-like.
(When I discovered this, I also stopped injuring my shoulder)
I hope this is at least slightly useful...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Mar 7th, 2020 at 1:24am

Es gibt diese Diskussion immer und immer wieder.
Wenn etwas funktioniert, dann ist es gut für sie. Das ist falsch.
Eine optimale Funktion ist durch Ihren Körper vorgegeben. Und viele dieser sogenannten sling Techniken sind definitiv nicht gesund und auch nicht optimal.
Manche versprechen schnellen Erfolg. Doch wo sind diese Erfolge dauerhaft.
Viele slinger haben massive Probleme. Schulter, Ellenbogen und Knie.
Tut mir leid. Ich habe da ein anderes Verständnis.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Mar 7th, 2020 at 5:55am

better start with a couple of styles and develop on them. Don't be too attached to any style adopt new movements that seem to work and discard the old and unnecessary.

I plan to make a video on what is clearly bad techniques. Clearly bad ways would be like trying to go from NY to London over the pacific...
most good techniques are pretty similar (unless sling length changes a lot) so go watch videos of people slinging for accuracy if you want to develop your accuracy or people slinging for power if you want to develop power and take notes. also practice a lot.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Mar 7th, 2020 at 8:46am

Jaegoor wrote on Mar 7th, 2020 at 1:24am:
Es gibt diese Diskussion immer und immer wieder.
Wenn etwas funktioniert, dann ist es gut für sie. Das ist falsch.
Eine optimale Funktion ist durch Ihren Körper vorgegeben. Und viele dieser sogenannten sling Techniken sind definitiv nicht gesund und auch nicht optimal.
Manche versprechen schnellen Erfolg. Doch wo sind diese Erfolge dauerhaft.
Viele slinger haben massive Probleme. Schulter, Ellenbogen und Knie.
Tut mir leid. Ich habe da ein anderes Verständnis.

This is very true. It's a marriage between optimising the throw, and adapting it to your body. Everyone's biomechanics will vary slightly but there are universally bad habits.

I look forward to the video Sarosh.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Mar 7th, 2020 at 9:18am

Kick wrote on Mar 7th, 2020 at 8:46am:
I look forward to the video Sarosh.

It will take a while I am currently on a break from physical activity.  : /

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #21 - Mar 7th, 2020 at 9:48am

Oh well in that case of course that takes precedence. Hope you get back to slinging soon Smiley

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #22 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 7:37am

Well I can only say that I have read your replies and must say that you were right again. This doesn't work.

Sarosh wrote on Mar 7th, 2020 at 5:55am:
I plan to make a video on what is clearly bad techniques.

I am looking forward to that!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #23 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 3:32pm

Over the past year I have noticed the slings I have been making have become progressively shorter, starting around 37" then gradually going to 34", 30", 28", 25", 22", 18", and now 16". Finally settling on a Balearic/helicopter-type technique several months ago, may be partly responsible, but I found it interesting nonetheless. I also think it may also be because shorter slings are less forgiving and require better form to get power out of them (+ without causing injury). I don't feel at all under-powered with 16" (thumb to mid-bicep), throwing ~250g stones out to a 100y target with relative ease. Unless I'm throwing beyond 50y, I don't feel any desire to use a longer sling (+ I love how handy they are).
Anyone else found anything similar?
Perhaps you found the opposite and your slings are instead getting longer?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 3:40pm

I started very short then gradually got longer and longer and then back down to 24”.

Not sure what you mean by shorter slings are less forgiving? Is it only the power aspect you are referring too? Accuracy wise I find them to be quite good. I’m a little longer than yours at 24” but I’ve used slings in the 16” range and they are definitely fun as well.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #25 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 5:19pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 3:40pm:
Not sure what you mean by shorter slings are less forgiving? Is it only the power aspect you are referring too?

I'm not sure this is true across the board (as I'm working purely from my own experience), but I think it's easier to injure oneself with a shorter sling, as you don't benefit from the cushy 'swoop' of a longer sling, if that makes any sense at all. I feel I also place even greater reliance on the lower body for power and comfort, which I think is also somewhat related to the length.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #26 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 7:27pm

I think both ends of the spectrum are easier to injure oneself. I think slings under 20 inches to be super short and over 60 inch super long . I agree that you can hurt your self “easier” but I think you still can hurt yourself with the others too.

For me I’m settled on a 27inch sling, for me it’s perfect and as short as I’d go, I want to make a distance only sling and that’s going to get much longer

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 1:02am

I made 3 slings, long, medium and short according to my gut feeling what is rightly suited for my body

It turns out that a short sling for me is around 45 cm, a medium sling is around 60 cm and a long sling is around 75 cm.

beyond 75 cm it becomes too long for me.

I am 172 cm short.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)