Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kung Fu inspired slinging style (Read 2228 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Kung Fu inspired slinging style
Feb 13th, 2020 at 8:21pm

Well... RS gave us turkey style.  Now it’s my turn to invent a throwing style Grin
This is inspired by a meteor hammer move. I obviously don’t know kung fu, and I definitely need more practice with this style of throwing.
With practice, it could be an alternative to a compound sling (???) ... maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52sE2bD4Af8

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Kung Fu inspired slinging style
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 9:36pm

Brilliant man!  I love it! Cheesy

What that actually reminds me of is a catapult.  How the arm hits the crossbar and the projectile is released.  Definitely looks like Kung Fu Catapult style to me. Wink

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 9:51pm

Thanks!  You need a really long sling to make it work. I’d like to learn how to do the same move with an elbow instead of a knee.

Here’s the inspiration at about 17:30 in the video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SxPO6nwQvxY
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2020 at 10:55pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 10:22pm

I can’t say that it is a style I’ll get proficient in but I can imagine a fictional master slinger uses this technique for close quarters contact and slinging at the same time. He probably could choke another opponent with the release cord and closeline a fourth.  Grin

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 12:43am

It would make for a pretty awesome action scene if you replaced the awkward engineer with an actual martial artist Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 2:30am

Doggy Stile... 😁 😂 😇
Der Hund freut sich. 😁
Es ist interessant und erinnert tatsächlich an kung fu.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 2:57am

Oder Bondage Stile.

Ich möchte jacky chan damit sehen. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 3:01am

Genius!  Grin
I might have to give this a go.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:40am

Thanks everyone!
Quick update... I figured out the basic motions for launching off the elbow. The sling shoots behind you off the elbow and forward off the knee, so you have a quick option to throw in either direction. With the elbow, I had a lot of trouble with the release cord tangling around the ball, so I may have to switch to a ring sling for this style of throw.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 11:28am

lol - well I can't argue it's a new 'style'.

Not sure it has any practical use though whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 1:30pm

@CA... there’s a reason I compared it to Turkey Style in my initial introduction Grin
Just like Turkey, it has plenty of entertainment value.

I think if I can get past the tangled release cord issues, it might serve the same purpose as a compound sling... lighter ammo at higher velocities. And just like a compound sling, timing is not easy.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 3:24pm

I will have to stand up for RS here, I still think think the Turkey Throw has promise. I need more practice with it but it's not entirely useless Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 4:18pm

not sure how kicking a pouch would help with a compound sling ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:17pm

I second kick, turkey throw has a lot of promise

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:32pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 14th, 2020 at 4:18pm:
not sure how kicking a pouch would help with a compound sling ?

You don’t kick it at all. The cord wraps around the knee, then it flies off in one direction when you straighten your knee.  My foot never touched the sling.

The changing radius of the swing around the knee behaves a lot like a compound sling does... particularly the kind with the sliding counterweight.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick)