Send Topic Print
Diets?? (Read 5881 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Diets??
Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 8:55pm

Maybe that's the way I need to go, Way of the Sling.  I need to do something.  Being fat when you're old is dangerous. I did go vegan for a year or so when my daughter lived here with me about five years ago.  It wasn't so hard.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #16 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:15pm

I just finished my 4 weeks of the carnivore diet!!
Overall I love the diet and the way I’ve felt.
Definitely been positive on my health and wasn’t overly hard to do.

Big positives:
Energy levels, unbelievable for calorie intake.
Great sleeping patterns
Never tired even after big days
Reduced acne(almost non)
No sickness (despite my partner being sick for 2 weeks who was not on the diet)
Gained muscle mass
Lost overall weight (6.5kg total)
Most defined 6 pack I’ve ever had
Never once got hungry (despite sugar cravings in first week)

Small negatives:
Digestive system took about 10 days to adjust.
Flavours of foods limited
Eating out is almost impossible
Eating mostly hot cooked food every day
No alcohol (this could’ve been positive too)
My fuse for my temper was much shorter (seems like I was ready to fight more than flight)

Like I said overall I loved it, if it wasn’t for the limited tastes I think I would stay on the diet indefinitely. I may even revisit it later this year or attempt Keto/Atkins as a comparison.

Now one binge eating day and then back onto a diet for march

Next up pescatarian (vegetarian + fish)

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #17 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 6:42am

a little over a week on the new diet
vegetarian plus fish.
and i must say
i feel like S*%T
there was definitely something to the carnivore diet
whether it was that i cut out all the crap or meat made me feel good something was beneficial.
i plan on revisiting it in october with a slight twist.
now to get through the next 3 weeks of this without getting too fat or sick. Angry

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 7:36am

lol
well according to the indicator sticks I am now producing ketones.
Haven't lost any weight, which is annoying.
My sister reckons she's lost a stone on similiar diet in less time.

I'm starting to think my system self regulates to a ridiculous degree.

so fish and vegetarian - calorie controlled ?

And welcom to the feeling sh** club. That's pretty much me - all the time.

I'm still waiting for this mysterious thing called 'energy' to kick in.
Not holding my breath !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 7:41am

No, i have only ever restricted my calorie intake on a fasting diet.
i swear that carbs make me crash hard
and my aches and pains from previous injuries are also flaring up.
i honestly didnt realise how good i was feeling on the carnivore diet.
really going to look into it properly and maybe do some blood tests, i was a clean bill of health and was always ready to go.
i havent been able to get out of bed for my pre dawn rabbit hunts i like to do since changing diets, im always hungry and always tired

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 9:49am

Paleo diet edging towards Keto is my favorite. I have never felt so clear headed and just generally good as on that diet. The key to these diets is to get a balanced diet of the things you can eat. Keto is most healthy with lots of healthy veggies. Most people think keto is mostly fat then some meat. But there needs to be balance to it.

After getting into ketosis, sort of similar to what you are saying Mersa, you get into this weird state where you lose all addiction to food. It’s just a strange feeling if you are used to the standard Western diet. Your blood pressure goes to normal, your cardiovascular system begins to heal and because you are rarely hungry and not snacking all the time there is a degree of intermittent fasting that naturally occurs which is great for everyone but especially those suffering from metabolic syndrome, which is a lot of people these days.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 10:23am

I’m attempting paleo in July, I’ll try edge it towards a keto style but won’t be as heavily restricted.
Very interested to see what comes out on top after this year is over. Carnivore is currently smashing ahead in first place, if I feel as good as I did on that on paleo I might just stay that way for life.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 11:31am

Mersa wrote on Mar 12th, 2020 at 10:23am:
I’m attempting paleo in July, I’ll try edge it towards a keto style but won’t be as heavily restricted.
Very interested to see what comes out on top after this year is over. Carnivore is currently smashing ahead in first place, if I feel as good as I did on that on paleo I might just stay that way for life.

I think you might like it. It’s less restrictive than carnivore. Basically all the meat, veggies, fish, nuts, etc you can eat. A little fruit and no grains and I would say at least for me no grain substitutes like starchy roots as they will spike your blood sugar the same and have similar effects when eaten in larger quantities. Sometimes people try to cheat and substitute the starchy technically paleo-legal foods for the grains but it’s counterproductive in the long term, at least in my experience.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 9:15am

Just had an annual diabetes checkup - blood test review from last week.

Been on the keto diet for about 5 weeks.
haven't noticeably lost much weight and as far as the energy thing goes - I'm convinced it's a myth Smiley
I could still sleep 20 hours a day.

BUT - my blood glucose is down to 7.5 (almost normal) and even my cholesterol has dropped to 5.7 - the lowest from any blood test I've ever had.
Given how much cheese I'm eating - that one is a bit weird, but who cares Smiley

Kinda weird given my current diet.

Now as far as bread substitutes goes.
I've cracked that Smiley

From a nutritional point of view I'm basically making elven bread.
Low calorie this stuff isn't.
Almond flour, eggs, gluten, milled flax.
I make it in small loaves that can be sliced really thin.
You don't realise how much you miss toast !

What you do is make it with equal amounts of almond flour and gluten. Given that gluten has less carbs than almonds. You gain there - but you do put the protein up a fair bit.

But you can use yeast ! so you get proper texture, rise, structure and crumb.

I even made some cinnamon 'buns'/whirls on saturday Smiley
For the filling I used cream cheese with a tiny amount of calorie free sugar substitute, vanilla extract, melted butter and mixed spice (it's heavy on the cinnamon).
And when you haven't had a bun or cake for close to a year - you really don't care that they aren't very sweet Smiley 
Warmed up they are great !

So from one point of view, the diet isn't really delivering - but from the point of view of the overall objective - going well !

And once you know things are going in the right direction - it's much easier to maintain the whole process Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #24 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 9:22am

I’d be really interested to see what happened if you tryed carnivore for a month CA, it’s not complete science but it’s worked for me and I don’t see much harm in trying it for a month. I feel horrible on my pescatarian diet and am most likely going to end it back on a carnivore diet, especially if society crumbles and I gotta fend for myself.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #25 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 4:07pm

to be honest the way I'm doing keto it's more like a carnivore diet.

I just can't make myself eat salad and drink olive oil.

well I've been weighing myself at the club after tai chi on a thursday night.

Turns out I have lost weight.
I reckon I'm 5kg (11lb) down in the last couple months.

Which considering I lost nothing in the first 10 months of low carb eating - is a serious result !

I figure another 6 or 7kg - get down to about 13 stone, approximately what i was at college - over 30 years ago - and that'll remove any 'spare' flesh.   
I've also reduced my metformin from 1000mg to 500 a day,
did that a week before I had the blood test - well metformin and a high fat diet is a bad combination. 'nuff said whistle

So while it's all working, and bear in mind the whole idea is to kick the diabetes and get back to a - mostly - normal diet and no damn medication.
I can stick with it.
Much easier to do something like this when you are actually getting positive results Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2020 at 6:05pm by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #26 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:52pm

Officially finished my pescatarian diet, thoughts are it’s a a pretty unrestricted diet.
Gained back my belly
Most likely the beers but,
Tastes are good but definitely not feeling energy like I was on the carnivore diet.
Now I’m taking a month off restrictions.
Everything goes
Let’s call it the end of the world/corona/last chance diet.
Because you never know it could be my last time to eat all these luxurious foods.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #27 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 12:39pm

Just a short time ago I regretted that for the first time in my life my last attempts at dieting had failed.  In light of the current situation I'm now thinking that with the world economy in a tailspin due to this friggin virus that carrying a few extra pounds for the long haul might not be a bad thing.  Some might say that's paranoid but I'm one who likes to be at least reasonably prepared for whatever and no one can say for sure what the future will hold.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #28 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 7:33pm

I’m about to finish my 2 months off no diet and begin my 3rd month of dieting for the year , also at 4 months of no drinking so far this year.

So July will be dry July and paleo July.
Hopefully get my blood taken before and after this time .

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 8:47pm

I need to start eating better. I’ve been lazy as hell lately. So much going on I’ve had no desire to add one more thing. But I was at the doctor for a check up yesterday and clocked in at 233lbs.  Undecided  That’s way too much for my body frame. Ah well... The beer and burger diet has failed me for the last time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)