Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making Netted Pouch Manila Trebuchet Slings (Read 1204 times)
Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Making Netted Pouch Manila Trebuchet Slings
Feb 9th, 2020 at 8:23pm

I've been developing a method to make trebuchet slings with woven netted pouches.  The method was just trialed in Texas at the Trebuchet Fireball shoot, and the slings worked great!  If you dunk manila rope in a bucket of water before each shot it holds up well against the flames.  I have a large sling in this style that I use to throw bowling balls from my trebuchet.

I have two YouTube videos now that feature how I am making these slings.  I learned a lot about it here from the tutorials by Matthais a long time ago but have put my own spin on things.  To someone who makes slings, these may be ugly, but I'm increasingly thinking that in light of trebuchets, it only matters that it works.  And work it does!

I am going to try flaming bowling balls from my big sling this week and I will let you know how the ropes hold up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbTmTzyULcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISdMdPgQ3BQ

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1089355251/0#0

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1082334802/8

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Making Netted Pouch Manila Trebuchet Slings
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 2:45am

Flaming trebuchets shots never get boring! Cheesy Awesome!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 4:52am

Have you ever thought about throwing a clay pot filled with say, red hot Iron nails... or Red hot iron sand/filings?

Apparently this was a really big thing back in the day! Good for setting fire to the neighbours castle. Tongue

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 2:38pm

Maybe consider a wool blanket as a fire retardant layer to protect the rope?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2020 at 1:23pm

Sorry it's been a while.  I forgot to check in!  We did flaming bowling balls a few days ago and it went awesome.  Indeed, launching fire never gets boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1fniKBMuLQ

I have definitely thought about throwing clay pots.  In fact, I emailed some professors in ceramics at my local university a few months ago, wondering if they wanted to make pots to throw with the trebuchet.  None of them responded and I haven't followed up.  I'm still thinking about clay pots.  Wondering if I can make myself some kind of substitute by molding plaster around a balloon.  It needs to be something strong enough that it would survive launch (for sure) but would break on impact.  Could fill it with all kinds of things and then use the usual technique to set it on fire. 

I haven't done pots yet mainly because it would be a lot of work and expense and would need a lot of trial shots and testing.  I would want to launch, say, pots filled with water, to make sure it all works for certain before I ever dared to launch pots filled with gas.

To protect the ropes, I simply dunk the sling in a five-gallon bucket of water before each shot.  The manila rope, when wet, really doesn't burn or char -- it just gets some black discoloration.  The sling has held up fine.  I should take some pictures of it next time I'm out there.

I actually tried putting out our campfire next to the trebuchet with a wool blanket a while ago and I burned a big hole in the blanket.  I think the coals were too hot.  I hear that wool blankets are good for putting out fires but there must be some details I'm missing.  That was my first time trying to do that.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 7:23am

They also liked propelling clay jars filled with lime into enemy castles as well. It sure would suck being in the enemy garrison if you have these flying overhead.

Nothing quite like the risk of being blinded and having your sinuses/lungs burned.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 10:39pm

That is so cool!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)