Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Instant Legolas Joerg bow is Ingenious! (Read 2959 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Instant Legolas Joerg bow is Ingenious!
Feb 7th, 2020 at 6:13pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXUOwagfqA0

at first I didn't think it was that big of an advancement in archery BUT Joerg has made some awesome upgrades.
I'm awed the more I think of it.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Instant Legolas Joerg bow is Ingenious!
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 9:41pm

That is totally bad assed. Joerg is the man.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 10:40pm

Awesome little gadget, however I feel like it’s going to take away some accuracy. Also for hunting I think it’s not as great.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 1:48am

He's basically given it a barrel. If anything I think he's made our even more accurate. It's quite rare to see a big adaptation to an existing system that is really quite revolutionary. Considering that that system is one if the oldest in existence... Joerg is genius. I actually think he might have significantly impacted archery in a waynice that will last as long as archery does. I predict someone will try and use a system like this in a competition or a regulatory body will preempt it and ban them and that will bring even more attention to it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 3:40am

It definitely will reduce accuracy, solely on the fact that the arrows are still arrows and will still flex and bend as they move through the “barrel” .
For a non experienced archer accuracy will likely improve but for any experienced top level archers I can’t see it improving their shot.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 8:05am

Mersa wrote on Feb 8th, 2020 at 3:40am:
It definitely will reduce accuracy, solely on the fact that the arrows are still arrows and will still flex and bend as they move through the “barrel” .
For a non experienced archer accuracy will likely improve but for any experienced top level archers I can’t see it improving their shot.

Yes experienced archers won't improve their accuracy that much, like an experienced archer wouldn't improve with a crossbow. The device is like the best of both worlds crossbow and bow plus a little more, I wouldn't consider it a bow or a crossbow.

Accuracy of the device itself is a matter of machining and ammo. There is no need for flexible spine arrows there is a string guide, like in crossbows the arrow/bolt doesn't need to go around the handle of the bow, also he uses centershot bows.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 4:59pm

Arrow flex does matter, it’s just how an arrow works, it’s not to combat archers paradox like on a traditional bow but the arrows still need to be heavy in the front and at the back some fletching, string still pushes the arrows from the rear.

Spine is the amount an arrow flexes and you will still need the arrows to flex . Crossbow bolts are the same , I can’t see it working without the correct spine arrows and if it is truely held in a barrel tight then it will effect accuracy on that alone.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 5:49pm

I might be missing something . From what I know short arrows/ bolts shot with a guide aren't made with spine in mind. the materials might flex because of the forces but that doesn't mean it's needed for them to be accurate. I don't know of a reason for considering spine other than archer's paradox.

P.S. If we are shooting spaghetti spinned bolts of course they are gonna break so there is a lower limit but no upper limit it could be solid iron bolts/ tungsten bolts or wooden bolts of a thickness or more.

mass in the front and fletchings in the back are usually needed for a stable flight. the mass in the front makes the bolts flex if the acceleration is high enough but that doesn't help with accuracy .

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 6:53pm

Archers paradox is why most old traditional bows need the exact spine arrows to gain accuracy. Modern bows and crossbows still need to be spined correctly but have a lot more they can work with on the stiffer end but you cannot go to no flex/completely stiff.

It’s because you want weight forward, and a certain total arrow weight, that how the arrow flys true, aerodynamics come into play. And it’s pushed from the rear.

In a perfect situation you may be able to get a completely ridged arrow or bolt to leave the “barrel” completely straight.
The string would have to be locked on some bearing rollers or something to make sure there is no flex in the string.

As the design stands at the moment shooting standard arrows, is going to be less accurate and likely take a small amount of power away and be potentially louder.

Crossbows are less accurate then compound bows between the top shooters, even though for me or any other nonpro It would be likely that we would be more accurate with a crossbow.

I feel like this device will be the same, the friction of the barrel at some point will reduce accuracy for top level shooters.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2020 at 5:36pm

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 4:15am

It really is amazing what he's achieved. Warbows as heavy as that almost becoming effortless (at least compared to without the SIL). Agincourt would have been even more of a bloodbath.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 6:29am

i like the design and reasoning on a warbow much more than a compound

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 7:42am

'design for production'
Ooohhhh. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The man is a genius Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 12:04pm

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 5:32am

I rather have a normal bow without that mechanical contraption on it. Great thing he designed it to be removable from the bow, that's the first thing I would do if given to me as a peasant.  Release the bow from that prison  Tongue

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)