Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ideas are cheap (Read 1145 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Ideas are cheap
Feb 3rd, 2020 at 11:27am

Ideas are cheap. Execution of ideas is hard.

There’s been a lot of buzz about Dangergoods and Elliot’s mysterious tennis ball sling, but this also applies to the Slingers Guide book and almost every invention  or business idea people come up with in their kitchen or garage.

Ideas are easy, but making ideas into reality will always take longer and cost more than you anticipate.  People get really protective of their ideas and try to keep them secret, but if you do that, you won’t get valuable feedback that makes the idea work in the real world.  It’s easy to invent a thing that solves a problem. It’s hard to make the thing that solves the RIGHT problems. That takes time, effort, and learning from mistakes.  If you don’t put yourself out there, you nay never know what mistakes you are making.   I have respect for those who put in the work. Whatever your ambitions... Here’s hoping that you can endure all the way to the finish line.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Ideas are cheap
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 11:55am

On the creative side more than than the business side, executing an idea is very hard. Everyone has some great idea for a movie or a book but how many people actually go ahead and make it? I have a lot of ideas for stories and one in particular I've been working on for a long time now. I'm terrible at knuckling down and completing things so who knows if it'll ever actually be finished. People sometimes forget that actually finishing a thing is impressive even if it doesn't turn out the greatest thing in the world. Cheers to all the entrepreneurs and creatives that get things done!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2020 at 3:29am

the problem I have faced is not the marketing, not the production and supply, not that the market will not respond. I would like to try and sell slings online and if they don't sell for any reason then I wouldn't really lose something or adapt. The problem is that I will have to return ~60% of my revenue to VAT and income tax the rest 40% would be to pay for fixed taxes for having a "company" and paying insurance and accountant. At the end of the day I wouldn't get paid.

My idea was already dead before its conception. I would have to make more than 20k of yearly revenue on selling slings to make some money out of it.

Etsy doesn't help, legally I still have to open a company and pay the above amounts to run it.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 7:00am

Unless you are making a significant amount of money selling slings - I don't see why you need to become a business ?

As far as declaring income goes - hobbies don't usually count.

your figures just don't sound riight.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 9:10am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 5th, 2020 at 7:00am:
Unless you are making a significant amount of money selling slings - I don't see why you need to become a business ?

As far as declaring income goes - hobbies don't usually count.

your figures just don't sound riight.

I've asked an accountant and I'll ask more to make sure.
and I've searched on forums of my country for the matter.
What I understand is :
Legally I can't sell any physical product without paying VAT and giving a receipt , to do that I need to create a company.

sell over 15 items without a receipt and I am a company not paying VAT the fine is ~500 euros per item sold this way.

I can't even sell old magazines legally . If it's cash it's almost impossible to track small amounts so people don't bother .
If it's through e.g. paypal and bank accounts then it's easier to be tracked , again here the state won't bother for small amounts but it's a risk with a very high price to pay.

If I remember correct selling outside the EU there is no VAT.
Will see...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 11:11am

... and that’s why I live in Texas!  No VAT, and business fees are very reasonable.
Have you considered just bartering/trading slings for other items?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 4:55am

Haven't thought of trading slings a lot.
I want to buy tools and materials to make and test other ancient artillery weapons ...

IP Logged

Slingbasket

Slingers Unite!

USA
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2020 at 6:10pm

Well Gents- talk is cheap! Especially when you have COVID-19 hit the planet. I am still working on the project. I’ll post again with details.

Please stay safe, wherever you are slingers!
Elliott

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2020 at 11:25pm

We’re all awaiting your release Elliott, CA has given some hype

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)