Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi from Danger Goods! (Read 3015 times)
Danger Goods
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Hi from Danger Goods!
Jan 29th, 2020 at 11:59am

Hi folks! I'm a new user but longtime reader of this forum. You guys are awesome! I wanted to reach out to introduce myself and tell you a little bit about a recent project I've been working on.

My name is David, and I support a small product company called Danger Goods. I became interested in slinging a couple years ago, because it combines my passions for tools and self-sufficiency. My day job is as a product and medical device designer for an organization called Pixel and Timber. As designers and engineers for other peoples' products, we don't often get the opportunity to develop devices that promote self-sufficiency, because most of our clients' businesses dependent on dependent consumers.

During some down time a couple years ago, I was able to use Pixel and Timber's product development horsepower on a project related to slinging. That device was a molded sling design (www.pixelandtimber.com/paleotech) designed to be sold through outdoor retailers. But because the market for a mass-produced sling doesn't yet exist, we redesigned the project as a split pouch sling-making kit which is currently selling at www.dangergoods.com.

That's my introduction. I'll follow up with another post on the details of Danger Goods and some coupons for anyone who's willing to help spread the word.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Hi from Danger Goods!
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 6:22pm

Welcome to the forum , great idea as a little sling building kit.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 3:59am

Welcome, ELLIOT is a forum member here. I sed he finially got it up and running, this post reminds me i gotta reach out to him

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 4:08am

Welcome from Finland!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 10:32am

Welcome from Pennsylvania!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2020 at 11:18am

currently elliot has abandond the moulded sling design and instead developed a totally new and rather unique design.

I think it still needs a little work - but it's the first totally new sling idea I've ever seen in over 30 years of being involved with slings and slingers.
And that's all I'm saying Wink

Finally we meet the chap who designed the original moulded pouch Smiley
From just seeing it in pictures it had a number of issues.
But I never got one to play with Sad

So those balls with your 'kit'- hoping they're some sort of solid foam.
The crappy wbite markings suggest 'dog grade' tennis balls. They last about 3 throws. So hope you went with foam Smiley

so $15 for some paracord and instructions. And one of the worst sling designs for tennis balls.

It's a nice way to make  easy money, but not great as far as slings for beginners goes.

If you have to have a braided sling - then why not a larger netted pouch that would easily handdle rocks and tennis balls ? 

The idea is sound - you just picked entirely the wrong sling design.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 8:34am

Welcome!
I like the idea generally. It looks like you’ve gone all-in with manufacturing your products and setting up the website. Best of luck with getting this off the ground. Curious Aardvark has put a lot of thought into selling slings.  I’d recommend taking his feedback seriously.

Who is your target market? I don’t think you’ll ever get more than a handful of sales from slinging.org, and we’ll be slightly annoyed if you only chime in when you’re trying to sell something.  We’ve seen a lot of people make a go of selling slings, and none of them are millionaires yet, but if you can get a larger crowd excited about slinging, then go for it!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 7:39am

that's the thing about Elliot - that guy is 100% enthusiasm !
But also has some good ideas about how to get people slinging.
I am still sworn to secrecy Smiley

I will say his new design - and it really is new, (no, you won't guess) - is just about totally indestructible, water proof, chemical proof and geared totally towards tennis balls.
The fact that it will also give the mallorcan's 'kittens' - in no way effects my opinion whistle
It's about as non-traditional as it's possible to get lol

On a serious note, until we get rid of the ridiculous bias towards traditional slings and a proscribed slinging style - slinging can never achieve mass appeal.

That said a simple braiding kit IS a good idea.
But it has to produce a sling that can throw tennis balls. 
The one string sling and some pre-cut pieces of medical tape to make the three string pouch solid and slightly cupped - would probably be a better way to go.

Or the netted sling pouch - I've always liked that one since I got one from a naval bomb disposal guy in afghanistan.
Throws well and will hold most safe ammo easily. 

The fact that it came with a bunch of 'shrapnel' recovered from an ied - in no way influences me Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 9:49am

Here’s the thing... a kit will appeal to a certain small crowd, but the real reason to launch a product as a kit is because the labor to assemble it is too expensive. A $15 kit would cost $50 if you had to pay for the assembly. If you’re going for a mass market, a kit is not the right thing unless the customer already loves making things from paracord... and then that customer base is no longer a mass market!

The product has potential, but the target market is a bit jumbled in my opinion. If you’re going to make a kit for preppers, make it for preppers. If it’s for paracord enthusiasts, then you sell it differently and you also sell kits to make other things from paracord instead of selling wearables and sling targets. If you target slingers, then we don’t need to be sold on slinging, but we do need to be sold on this particular sling. Pick a market. Establish a foothold, and then target a new audience from there. You don’t have the marketing budget to go after everyone at the same time.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 10:07am

Hey CA, is there an ETA on when we might see anything on Elliot's new sling design?  Assuming the timeframe isn't part of the secrecy.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 5:16pm

https://www.pixelandtimber.com/paleotech

Wouldn’t be anything to do with the pictures at the bottom of this page would it CA???

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Danger Goods
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 5:39pm

Hi guys,

I can’t comment on Elliot’s new sling design, but he is a frequent contributor here, if I’m not mistaken. I’m sure he’ll provide an update on that design when the time is right!

I appreciate all your input on the sling kit! I’d love to do a version with some other sling designs at some point. For now, I selected the split pouch design for its speed and ease of construction. The target market is described briefly in a post in marketplace. It’s not really intended for experienced slingers such as yourselves but more for the average Cabela’s customer making an impulse buy.

This project was intended to get a sling product to market at a speed and COG commensurate with the size of that market. It’s possible that a more detailed analysis of the market will reveal it’s big enough to justify an investment in tooling (such as that required for the Paleotech design), but for now, I believe a kit is a better fit. If you all have some data I can use to justify such an investment, I’d love to take a look!

I don’t think anyone believes that selling slings is a way to make real money, but that’s not primary purpose of this project. If it helps grow the sport a little, though, I think it will probably be a benefit. The folks who have bought the kits so far have indicated a liking for it, anyway. We had a dad and his five year old slinging here the other day — it was adorable!

IP Logged

Danger Goods
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 5:47pm

Curious Aardvark: what sling design would you suggest as the easiest to use for beginners? And for tennis balls? What are the advantages?

IP Logged

Danger Goods
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 7:33pm

The images at the bottom of the Paleotech page were excerpted from the provisional patent application (PPA) for that device. They’re not reflective of Elliot’s new design.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 11:58pm

Hi, David.  I wish you luck with your sling kit.  As I mentioned on the fourm, I prefer a longer sling; about 38" at least.  Maybe you could offer a longer version kit also.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)