Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
EXTREME HEAVYWEIGHT SLINGING (Read 2449 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

EXTREME HEAVYWEIGHT SLINGING
Jan 28th, 2020 at 4:52pm

https://youtu.be/03tvRSuyOXk
this was a question and a request "how heavy can you sling?can you make a video about it?"

leave a like if you liked

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: EXTREME HEAVYWEIGHT SLINGING
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:08am

Nice video, I agree it would be interesting to see a longer sling. Personally I find longer slings much easier work when throwing big rocks, you can get a decent amount of momentum going just from initial rotations and the forces required to throw seem to be lower/more spread out.

Some people seem to like short slings with heavy rocks but unless you are simply going for accuracy and nothing more I feel it puts way too much strain through your arm/shoulder and you cannot perform an efficient slinging motion.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:11am

I've almost wrenched my arm out of my socket throwing rocks lighter than these ones so good on you Sarosh. That hit with the 880g rock is amazing!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:44am

Yeah props to you sarosh. My shoulders hurt just thinking about stones that size. All honesty I’d probably mace myself in the head with stones or should I say rocks like that .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 7:44am

What a hit!!!!
You musta been sore the next day but totally worth it

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 11:15am

I did something similar a while back with big ice blocks.  Not anywhere near the level of investigation, just playing around.  This make me curious to try it again.

Nice video Sarosh!  And like Tomas said, great hit!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 12:29pm

It's inspiring me to get together all my largest ammo and smash that pan of mine to bits Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 2:16pm

I recently tried something quite similar, and then I tried the pirouette. I instantaneously got so much more power out of my throws and now believe that it is the most practical way to throw really heavy stones. With a medium-short sling (28") I was easily throwing fist sized stones + ~100 yards.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 2:23pm

Thanks!

@
Tomas

as I say in the video only the forearm was sore the next day, I did some normal slinging the next day .
In the video I didn't go 100%power if I did I would probably hurt myself without much different results . The hit was very gratifying took a moment to enjoy it. Cool

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 29th, 2020 at 11:15am:
I did something similar a while back with big ice blocks.  Not anywhere near the level of investigation, just playing around.  This make me curious to try it again.

Would make an interesting video . You seem very accurate with ice

Kick wrote on Jan 29th, 2020 at 12:29pm:
It's inspiring me to get together all my largest ammo and smash that pan of mine to bits

be careful you have a competition to attend Tongue

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 3:43am

That is true Cheesy A dislocated shoulder might affect how well I do in the competition...

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 11:03am

Kick wrote on Jan 30th, 2020 at 3:43am:
That is true Cheesy A dislocated shoulder might affect how well I do in the competition...

Start practicing left handed too. Wink

I remember trying that a while back.  I think it was Sarosh who had done a video on slinging with both hands.  I tried left handed and it very much felt like slinging for the first time again.  Very weird feeling.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 1:39pm

Interesting video.  I would use a staff sling to hurl such heavy projectiles.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 2:44pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 30th, 2020 at 11:03am:
Kick wrote on Jan 30th, 2020 at 3:43am:

Start practicing left handed too. Wink

I remember trying that a while back.  I think it was Sarosh who had done a video on slinging with both hands.  I tried left handed and it very much felt like slinging for the first time again.  Very weird feeling.

I'm still getting the hang of right-handed Cheesy

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2020 at 6:37pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Jan 29th, 2020 at 2:16pm:
I recently tried something quite similar, and then I tried the pirouette. I instantaneously got so much more power out of my throws and now believe that it is the most practical way to throw really heavy stones. With a medium-short sling (28") I was easily throwing fist sized stones + ~100 yards.

Yep!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 11:34am

Archaic Arms wrote on Jan 29th, 2020 at 2:16pm:

just saw the comment
I never get the chance to practice pirouette on long range , when I get a place for longer ranges I don't have good footing or space to pirouette (or even time to try something different). Every place would produce its slingers with different quirks and styles suited for their environment.

I tried pirouetting with the sling in the video(~28") and heavy stones and didn't like it , I was out of tune. If I'm going to pirouette then I'd use a 1.2m or 47" sling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris)