Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stone ammo weight consistency (Read 2949 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: Stone ammo weight consistency
Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 2:28pm

I like anywhere from about 50g to 200g depending on the range and how I'm feeling that day.
For me, I occasionally practise with tennis balls to hone my form and work on consistency, as they are completely consistent in weight and shape.
However, when I throw stones, I will pick up stones of many different weights so that I train my body to throw accurately with all of them. This is where I believe spinning the stone around a few rotations (e.g Balearic method) before throwing is very important, as it allows one to gauge the weight of the projectile before the release. I am blessed to live next to a river with beaches of perfect-shaped stones, so shape is not something I'm concerned with.
Of course, this takes even longer to master, but the result is that one can really pick up any old stone and hit something with it.
Disclaimer: This is just a personal choice and I am not saying that training with consistent projectiles are in any way worse, it's just a different mindset.
Just my tuppence worth.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 3:12pm

I have a theory that accuracy may be improved using relatively large/heavy rocks.

The larger the rock the more the volume and therefore mass increase relative to surface area and cross section (which determine strength of aerodynamic effects).

As a result larger rocks would experience slightly more aero effects but have much more mass and therefore would not be deviated from their course as much as smaller rocks (by basically F=ma), and that's before you take into account that larger rocks are generally thrown slower, further decreasing aero effects which often scale fast with velocity.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 5:52pm

Cheesy With large ammunition, it's easier to hit yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wopll0r7SM8

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 8:27am

JudoP wrote on Feb 6th, 2020 at 3:12pm:
I have a theory that accuracy may be improved using relatively large/heavy rocks.

The larger the rock the more the volume and therefore mass increase relative to surface area and cross section (which determine strength of aerodynamic effects).

As a result larger rocks would experience slightly more aero effects but have much more mass and therefore would not be deviated from their course as much as smaller rocks (by basically F=ma), and that's before you take into account that larger rocks are generally thrown slower, further decreasing aero effects which often scale fast with velocity.

My experiences would suggest it's a bell curve. It gets easier the heavier the stone then gets harder Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #19 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 11:03am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 5th, 2020 at 6:54am:
What happens is that the locals who bring their own special stones - break all the good communal stones in the practice sessions and leave the dregs for the actual competition for everyone else.

What are the rules for ammunition sources? Can you bring your own on the plane?
The whole place must be cleaned of good throwing stones.

Archaic Arms wrote on Feb 5th, 2020 at 2:28pm:
spinning the stone around a few rotations (e.g Balearic method) before throwing is very important

That sounds neat! Gotta try it out.

I guess that accuracy also depends on your ability to control your ammo.   Huh
too heavy = difficult to control

I guess that also depends on your physical strength.  Cheesy

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 3:47pm

I guessed this nice rock would weight around 200 grammes but it weights 251 grammes.
It is still comfortable to sling, I actually quite like it with my Balearic sling. They feel made for each other  Grin

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 2:38am

I (borrow) rounded granite pebbles from Dundrum Bay.
About 100g to 140g are my favourite weight.

You can also go to a garden landscape store and buy a bag of 40-50mm pebbles.

Srff

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:31pm

Kick wrote on Feb 7th, 2020 at 8:27am:

My experiences would suggest it's a bell curve. It gets easier the heavier the stone then gets harder Cheesy

Agreed. Based on sling length, personal strength, throwing style and the speed at which you sling.

And with JudoP for all sorts of reasons. Larger rocks should also have a lower gear effect with the sling upon release, lowering the speed of rotation. In some ways not desirable unless the rotation is slightly off when can lead to drift. Also greater inertia in relation to rotational speed further decreasing drift.

Another thing people don’t mention often is the wadcutter effect. Large stones are easier to hit small targets with because in addition to all the other reasons state the ammo is just so much bigger. Try to hit a Ping pong ball with a massive baked potato size stone, now take a lead glande of the same weight and sling it and see how much more difficult it is.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)