Send Topic Print
Netflix (Read 3153 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Netflix
Jan 27th, 2020 at 6:24am

Almost every time I go on Netflix I find myself scrolling through stuff and struggle to find something I’m interested in.

Willing to take a few recommendations
I’ve watched a lot so somethings I would have seen but I’m open to what others recommend and want to know what you’ve enjoyed.

I get into true crime documentaries and documentaries in general but also like to watch a film here and there. Series I struggle with because some seem to never end.

What you got!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Netflix
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:55am

Don't F*** With Cats is a great true crime minseries. Just gets crazier as it goes along.

Mindhunter is fantastic. Sone of thethe best, acting I've ever seen.

You is also incredible. It gets cheesy and over the top but that just made me love it more.

The Witcher really very good. A lot of people seem to think it's rhe greatest thing ever which is a little much but it's very enjoyable.

When They See Us about the Central Park 5 has some incredible performances and is such a harrowing story. Really good.

The End of the F***ing World is really good. Good bit of black comedy/drama.

Derry Girls has some of the funniest scenes I've seen in a comedy series for a long time and some great acting.

I'm guessing you've seen some of these but hopefully there's something new.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 10:29am

Netflix really is struggling because all the other companies are pulling their content.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is an excellent show that happens to be anime. You have to give it a few episodes for the story to develop and to get used to format but really an excellent show.

I agree with Kick that Witcher was a good show though not the best ever.

I highly enjoyed Altered Carbon need to try the novels it was based off.

Wandering Earth is a chinese sci-fi movie that I really enjoyed (I've only touched some chinese sci-fi but I'm told they have a vibrant sci-fi scene right now. Ken liu did some translation and it feels like old sci-fi from the US.)

Stranger Things Season 1 was a compelling story. 2nd season was only ok and I didn't watch the third. The first was good.

Toys that made us is pretty funny if a bit cheesy. Some behind the scenes stuff of big successful toys in the states. The he-man episode was hilarious.

I feel conflicted over "better than us" which is a russian netflix original series. It's not great. But the ending ties things together beautifully. I feel that whoever did that series will do an amazing second series. For me it was more interesting as a glimpse inside a different culture.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 12:55pm

Im gonna suggest some not so recent movies to make sure you havent missed them.

Series:

Rick n morty
Breaking Bad
La Casa de Papel or Money heist ( I liked season 1 and 2 and you can end it there, if I remember correct se3 was good but not as good)
Sherlock
DARK (it hasnt ended yet)
Vikings ( up to a point )
Peaky blinders
Black mirror (Don't know what to say about it. didn't love it, didn't hate it, has been a good conversation starter in the past. some episodes are good others are a waste of time)
Fargo (blunt, raw not for everyone )

Documentary:
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom

Movies:
Shutter Island
The Big Short
Jango
Arrival
Gravity
About time (2013. Romantic)

Movies I'm not sure if they are good enough to suggest:
  Extinction ( skipped lots of parts of the movie the end was the interesting part)
  Annihilation (I liked something but I dont remember what)

Anime I'd suggest you watch the anime before watching the netflix edition:
Full metal alchemist brotherhood
Full metal alchemist 2003 (they are different, liked them both)
Deathnote

I can suggest more anime series that are not on netflix if you want.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 1:38pm

Oh I forgot "servant of the people" great comedy. Deserves to be alongside "yes minister" and "yes prime minister" as amazing political comedy.

I did enjoy "Inside the Mossad" as well. The interviewers are idiots but it was very interesting hearing old retired spies and bureaucrats share about their careers and craft.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 3:19pm

The Magicians is a very good Netfilx series IMO.  Watch it from the beginning or you'll be totally lost.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 3:39pm

Sarosh wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 12:55pm:
Fargo (blunt, raw not for everyone )

Fargo is fantastic but isn't that only on HBO?

Sarosh wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 12:55pm:
Deathnote

Death Note is actually the only anime series I've watched all of. So good. The later series lose a little bit of steam for me but those first series are some of the best pieces of media to be made. Love it.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 4:58pm

Kick wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 3:39pm:
Fargo is fantastic but isn't that only on HBO?

I saw it on netflix about a year ago I think. I also think different countries have different access to movies. I no longer have netflix so i can't check.

Anime are awesome they explore ideas that mainstream movies can't do so easily , they hit hard on emotions and have very good music.

P.S.: Has anyone watched VGHS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JqR3GVqib4

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:31pm

Thanks everyone, some stuff on there I’ve watched and some new suggestions, keep them coming

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 12:20pm

Rise of Empires   Ottoman is a Netflix series I started watching last night.  I watched the first four episodes.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 5:55pm

I started Mind hunter, I’m enjoying so far, however it is a series and I sometimes enjoy the start of a series only to get annoyed at the suspense of finding a conclusion.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 9:43pm

Movies I can't help you so much. The wife doesn't sit through movies well so I don't watch them often.

I did watch an australian sci fi called "I am mother" which was simple but good if you like intellectual suspense-ish sci-fi.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:01am

Most recent thing I watched was the Witcher. It was pretty good fun, entertaining but the plot can be a little ridiculous in places.

I hear most of the Studio Ghibli films (anime) are coming to Netflix over the next couple of months. There are some good ones in there. Other than that I quite like Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, the Office, The Thick of it (quite UK centric, but really funny). Mighty Boosh if you want something very weird... and, there's probably a bunch I forgot.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:33am

JudoP wrote on Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:01am:
I hear most of the Studio Ghibli films (anime) are coming to Netflix over the next couple of months. There are some good ones in there.

I really can't wait for them. Some are not exactly my favourites (I cannot stand My Neighbour Totoro because the main characters just scream constantly throughout the whole film) but Spirited Away I've seen about 5 times and it's just fantastic.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 8:19am

I'll have to give The Thick of it a try.

I periodically watch some of "Japanese Style Originator" the subtitles are a bit of a headache but they showcase a lot of craftsmen at their work.

Last night I watched a master make a japanese bow, entirely different from western bowmaking. They wrap the composite bow in rope and then shape it by hammering wedges in between the rope and the composite.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)