Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Shotgun slings? Shotslings? (Read 8768 times)
timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Re: Shotgun slings? Shotslings?
Reply #60 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 6:48pm

Your workshop is cleaner than mine Smiley

An interesting experiment. But, the sling must be as light as possible. Weighted pouch is hell.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #61 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 7:37pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 21st, 2020 at 1:38pm:
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10.  I'll check if there's an option for a higher frame rate and see if I can get a more side (or front) facing angle the next time I'm recording.

You certainly have the capacity for 240FPS then. It should just be a slider at the bottom of the screen in the camera app, to choose "slow-mo" or something like it.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #62 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 7:56pm

I like it. I can tell a lot of thought has gone into this. The question of making shotgun slings workable is a tough one. I’ve been thinking possibly some type of sabot round that will fall away early on in the air to keep them from leaving the pouch at different times.

I imagine the only way to get a tight spread would be if all rounds left at precisely the same time just as if they were a single rock. Even a fraction of a second difference would cause a very large spread due to how fast the sling is moving at release. And the faster it moves the greater the spread.

With a sabot round the casing would fall off within a few feet of leaving the pouch and the rifling would naturally tend to spread out the shot pattern but you would also need to make sure the spin was not too extreme or it would throw the projectiles outward at too high a rate.

Also you would need to balance having individual rounds heavy enough to actually do damage and yet light enough to not to hit an extreme weight or low number of shots.

Because of this I’ve been thinking the best fit would be a sabot with a long sling in the 35-40” range with 5 - 3 oz lead glandes. 15oz is a lot but with a long sling it wouldn’t be that difficult.

Anyways just some thoughts. Clearly I overthought this lol.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #63 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 11:06pm

Early in this topic, CA mentioned wrapping the ammunition in tissue paper to keep it together until it leaves the sling.  I might give that a try.  And I would be able to do that test with sling #2.  A sabot (I admit that I had to look that up) is an interesting idea.  Although at the moment I can't think of any way to implement that with what I'm currently using.  Something to keep in mind though.

@IronGoober - I did find the slow motion option on my phone.  Thanks for the tip.  Between these sling comparisons, tests, and slow motion, I'm going to have to make those stupid little ice balls for like 2 weeks straight just to have enough.  Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #64 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 6:36pm

Joe if you have an Instagram I would love to follow your channel.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #65 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 8:14pm

Thanks Morphy.  I appreciate that.  I do not though.  I'm not particularly active on social media.  I'm on a couple forums outside of this one, and my YouTube channel.  That's pretty much it.  No Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #66 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 7:01am

Well if you ever do me and Morphy are ready to be your “followers”

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #67 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 7:03am

I'm in too Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #68 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 8:04am

Mersa wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 7:01am:
Well if you ever do me and Morphy are ready to be your “followers”

He really should he does a ton of cool stuff. Mine is 95% recycled memes because I haven't yet returned to full crafting production. But Joe here could post some stuff I bet.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #69 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 12:02pm

You guys are making me blush.  Wink

To be honest, if I had an Instagram account, I think the bulk of it would end up being cat pictures.  Grin

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #70 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 4:27am

You say that likes it's a bad thing. It's why the internet was invented right?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy)