Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Shotgun slings? Shotslings? (Read 8756 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Shotgun slings? Shotslings?
Reply #45 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 6:03pm

I’m sure you can find a way to make tennis balls dangerous Timpa

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #46 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 11:26pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 9th, 2020 at 6:03pm:

Will probably come back with a tennis ball filled with cement. Grin

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #47 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 6:05am

Archaic Arms wrote on Sep 9th, 2020 at 11:26pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 9th, 2020 at 6:03pm:

Will probably come back with a tennis ball filled with cement. Grin

With nails and razor blades (and toothbrushes...)

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #48 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 4:56pm

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #49 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 12:23pm

Perhaps the world's first individually chambered scatter sling.  The main structure is made of poplar, then wrapped in leather, and paracord cords.  It's designed to fit the 1 inch diameter mini ice balls I can make.  It's deep enough to fit 1 or 2 ice balls in each chamber.  I'll be making ice for the next week or so, and then a video will be coming.  Stay tuned...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #50 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 1:08pm

Wow...

I am looking forward to this video.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #51 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 1:52pm

Help, someone stole my six shooter wheel

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #52 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 12:57am

Here we go!  This is the chambered sling pictured in my post above.  This one was pretty fun to use.

https://youtu.be/tcxhkPyXxd4

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #53 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 3:18am

How would you compare the three slings you have made so far?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #54 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 8:24am

Madness. I love it Cheesy Only thing missing was a balaclava and a pine forest.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #55 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 10:04am

Eagerly awaiting to watch this video when I get a moment. Def. looks cool though.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #56 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 11:40am

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 21st, 2020 at 3:18am:
How would you compare the three slings you have made so far?

I would rank the first sling at the bottom.  It's by far the quickest and simplest to make.  But it doesn't feel like there's any real control over where the projectiles are going.  They just come out in random directions.  It does need to be said that all these slings obviously have that problem.  The (essentially) normal sling is just the worst of the three at what could be considered 'control'.

I think the second one is the best design.  Kudos to timpa for being the inspiration on this one.  The problem with my version is that it isn't very stabile.  The little piece of leather that's acting as a hinge for the trap door is too flimsy.  I wasn't able to do a very hard throw because the door at the bottom would slide out of position and all the ice would fall out.  You can actually see this happen in the second video.  I still have full intention to fix this sling.  I want to strengthen the sides so the cylindrical shape is held better.  And replace the piece of leather holding the door at the bottom with a sturdier piece.  I think I could get some better throws with it then.

The third one actually works better than I expected.  It's definitely the coolest looking.  But I don't think it actually works better than a sling following the design of the second one.  So in the end it's a lot of time to make, but no real advantage to the design.

That said, I think there is going to be one more video in this series.  I want to complete the mentioned upgrades to sling #2, and then do a back to back comparison video of #2 and #3.  I think it will be helpful in seeing the differences if the camera angle is exactly the same, and it's done in one session so I know I'm throwing the same way.  But I want to finish my SITH sling first, and then do a trash sling (Note: Everyone should do this: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1605409704  Wink), so it will probably be a little while before I get to do a good comparison video.  Maybe early next year.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #57 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 11:42am

Kick wrote on Nov 21st, 2020 at 8:24am:
Only thing missing was a balaclava and a pine forest.

Grin

@Morphy - I hope you enjoy it.  I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #58 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 12:56pm

Good stuff Joe. This video raises more questions. At least 50% of the throws had a gap in the direction of the projectiles, it wasn't a sweeping arc of projectiles, but more like a bimodal distribution, usually with the missing piece right where the target was. Your releases were right in line with hitting the target, but the projectiles were just going on either side. This makes me think it is the trap door that is interfering somehow.  It would be very interesting to see how the spread changes with changing the position of the hinge, I think that would have a big effect on the total angular spread.  If you have a new-ish smartphone, (~2017), you could get a slow-mo video of the trap door, that would be really interesting to see and could shed some light on this. Also, I love the tidy design. But if you want to light-weight your sling, some pieces of plastic pipe taped together might make it less heavy to swing around. It certainly wouldn't look as nice though.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #59 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 1:38pm

Thanks IG!  Great observation on the spread.  I didn't pick up on that.  My first thought is the same as yours, has to be something with the door.  When designing the sling, I did intentionally try to attach the door so the opening was toward the front in the direction of motion.  The idea was that when the door opened, it would catch the air and be pushed open faster.  All through the editing, I never looked closely at a frame by frame to see if that was actually happening.

But now I have looked.  I'm only working with 30 fps, so there are a lot of gaps, but the door appears to be open toward the ground.  I looked at multiple throws and this seems to be pretty consistent.  I would not expect the door opening toward the ground to cause a gap in the center of the spread.  But definitely can't say for sure.

Good thought on changing the hinge position.  I might be able to do that.  The retention cord is held on with a couple eyelet screws.  I can definitely rotate their position on the top of the sling.  But there may be a problem with the release cord.  As the hinge position rotates around the sling, the release cord will as well.  That may end up causing some strange grips to hang on to it and keep the sling closed.  This sounds like it's worth a try though.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10.  I'll check if there's an option for a higher frame rate and see if I can get a more side (or front) facing angle the next time I'm recording.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)