Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Shotgun slings? Shotslings? (Read 8772 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Shotgun slings? Shotslings?
Reply #30 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 2:19am

timpa wrote on Aug 24th, 2020 at 4:56pm:

that bandsaw blade bola is the most scary , spring steel makes the most unexpected cuts.

IronGoober wrote on Aug 24th, 2020 at 8:06pm:
Sarosh, very interesting. Nice analysis of the flight and release characteristics.

I think you should use this for a computer animation. The video of the projectile coming toward the camera made me think of creepy hand reaching toward the target. You could animate  a slinger-mage slinging spells toward the doom of their opponent. Lol. Sorry, maybe that was too much nerdiness for this thread.

Thanks!

I was thinking of calling it "Eagle Claw" ammo but I think it's better to go with common terminology.
As for animations I would like to learn to use blender but I have a lot of other stuff I need to learn and do. Maybe an animator could do this, 3d animation would be awesome https://www.youtube.com/c/Astartes40k/videos

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #31 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 3:48pm

That ammo is really cool. I have a few bolas but haven't tried slinging them... yet...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #32 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 2:26pm

Following timpas design would a cup with a smaller opening concentrate the ammunition?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #33 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 2:40pm

It wouldn't base on the small amount of experimentation I've done with this.  A smaller opening would mean a longer period of time for all ammunition to clear the sling.  What is needed is for all ammunition to be out of the sling as quickly as possible.

On the other side of that, a really big opening will have a bigger variation in the release point as it relates to the sling for each individual projectile.  So it's a task of finding a balance between the two.

Again, that's just my take from a few sessions with a shotgun sling (I called it a scatter-sling Smiley).  Would be interested in hearing other thoughts.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #34 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 3:36pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 2nd, 2020 at 2:40pm:
A smaller opening would mean a longer period of time for all ammunition to clear the sling.  What is needed is for all ammunition to be out of the sling as quickly as possible.

That completely makes sense actually. You should definitely experiment further with this (if you want of course).

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #35 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 5:04pm

I definitely will at some point.  The first sling I tried was pretty normal, with just a very large pouch.  It had a really wide spread.  After that I switched to one based on timpa's design and the spread was much more concentrated.

I had some adjustments planned for the sling but haven't made them yet.  I should get that done.  It's a fun sling to use.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #36 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 7:01pm

This I have not yet filmed with the ball queue.
Gotta film.

30cmpuikko_001.jpg (125 KB | 59 )
30cmpuikko_001.jpg

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #37 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 7:12pm

That looks great timpa!

A couple questions.  What is the internal diameter?  And how far up do you normally fill it with ammunition for each throw?  If you haven't used it yet, you might not have an answer to the second question yet.

Looking forward to that video!

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #38 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 8:15am

What if you only filled as much ammunition into the cup as to cover the lid, without any lying on top of each other? Wouldn't it then release at the same time even in a wide pouch?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #39 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 10:06am

Yes.  At least in theory.  But when the sling is being rotated, the ammunition at the leading side of the sling will be slightly ahead of the ammunition at the trailing side.  So when the ammunition is released, all the individual projectiles will be coming out at a slightly different release angle.  This angle difference should be small, but the wider the cup of the pouch, the larger this angle difference will be.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as the sling rotates, all the ammunition is pushing against each other.  So when it is released, there will be a lot of contact between projectiles causing changes in velocity for most of them.

But that gives me an idea.  What if the pouch of the sling was set up as a grid with individual chambers for each projectile.  So the projectile couldn't have any contact with each other until after release.  I wonder what effect that would have.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #40 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 6:00pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 5th, 2020 at 10:06am:
What if the pouch of the sling was set up as a grid with individual chambers for each projectile.

Oooh, that is an interesting idea. I'd like to see that.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #41 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 9:10pm

It will be coming (hopefully) in the not too distance future.  I've been thinking about it today and have a couple ideas on how to do it.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #42 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 4:43pm

@Joe:
inner diameter 35mm/1,4in and length 20cm/8in.
I have thrown mainly torpedoes.
But it works well with balls too.

Puikkolinko.jpg (155 KB | 63 )
Puikkolinko.jpg

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #43 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 6:23pm

You throw some scary stuff timpa

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #44 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 3:50pm

the scarier, the better. Cheesy
I don't like tennis balls.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy)