Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Shotgun slings? Shotslings? (Read 8764 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Shotgun slings? Shotslings?
Jan 23rd, 2020 at 12:52am

I’m posting this “rant” because I’ve seen people conjecture about this on the internet and kinda found it bizarre that I suddenly remember it for some reason.

I can’t imagine this works at all, heck I tried it back in my early days and couldn’t say I was impressed.
But maybe somebody could design a projectile that breaks up in flight rather than stuffing a pouch-full of  pebbles or bbs that might as well be nerf darts. Then again I doubt any form of this works to any lethal level, but it might be cool if it could be done.

I don’t know, how would you use a sling that could shoot like a shotty? I mean again you might as well grab a fistful of pebbles as if we were to compare a sling to any gun it would be like a handgun in practical use and in the hands of an elite user; a sniper. Point is range, why midi gate a sling’s advantage over something that is quite frankly funny looking?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Shotgun slings? Shotslings?
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:38am

I suppose you could use a shot cup like a shotgun does to keep the shot together a bit longer. Sounds like something someone here might try out.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 7:12am

I believe that the whistling rounded glandes found at Burnswark were very likely shotgunned out.

A question arises if you were throwing them singularly, Why the round shape? Particularly when Biconical shapes are both very common and likely the dominant style of shot?

There are Greek glandes which are in Biconical shape which have very similar hole placements, and are about 30-40 grams.

I believe they used a round shape, because they were using multiple projectiles, perhaps two or three. Because the Burnswark whistling shot are about ~20 grams each, two or three of them together within a pouch will generally mass about the same as most conventional Roman sling glandes. The round shape won't get in the way like using a biconical would if you were throwing multiples.

Why shotgun these out? Fast-flying lead bits are still something to watch out for, and given that these projectiles will likely whistle, I'd imagine they'd have a psychological effect (Perhaps more so than the buzzing wasp-like sound that a lot of glandes make). I think Shotgunning with lead projectiles is very viable. Much less so with rock or clay. The difference I'd say is with the density.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:07pm

The idea has been brought up here several times in the past.  A shotgun sling could be effective for slinging at a flock of birds.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:19pm

Could also be used as a distraction.  Or a deterrent if you wanted to chase something away, but not actually kill or hurt it.

This gives me an idea.  I'm going to try something in the next few days and will report back on it.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:25pm

Yes, you could definitely sting a critter without killing or seriously injuring it. Good idea.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 7:06am

i think timpa made a scary shotgun sling

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 7:36am

A load of ball bearings as ammo helped Timpa Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 8:25am

Few ways of doing it.
1:) use a captive release 'cup' if you look through the forum there are a number of examples of this.
2) wrap the collection of missiles in tissue paper and the force of the spin will tear the paper and give you a shotgun effect.
3) just have a cupped pouch and load it up.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 3:56pm

In the 70s, an old man taught me and my friend to do shotgun slings.
Among other things, here in images:

https://linko-sling.jimdofree.com/erikoislingot-special-slings/

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 11:06am

That's awesome timpa!  I almost have a sling and ammunition ready to do my take on this.  No idea if it's going to work, but hopefully I'll be able to give it a go tomorrow morning before work.

IP Logged

Randomline
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 8:55pm

Thanks for sharing!  That's a very interesting looking shot sling.  I'll have to attempt one sometime. 

Does the varied shot size seem to help the pattern (like it is supposed to in bird shot)?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 11:13pm

Here's an attempt I made with a scatter-sling.  I'm still using ice as usual.  The spread I got was much wider and more random than I expected.  I think I need to get more of a cup shape with the pouch (as was mentioned in other posts) to narrow the spread a bit.

There are a few hits throughout the video, but they're mainly just luck.  The video includes every throw I made (minus the very first one, wasn't setting up the camera if it didn't work at all).

https://youtu.be/iWDxyNu6o0U

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 12:04am

Great stuff joe
I think you would ruin a few ducks day with that thing

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:19am

I think it was Timpa that had the design where it opens out from the bottom. That would also concentrate the shot I would think though the timing of the release would be different from a regular sling. Did you use some other ice mold for the balls? I don't know if I've seen the small version.

EDIT: Oh woops Timpa already posted Cheesy But yeah I think opening from the bottom might work better.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)