Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Know anything about these slings? And two finger loops. (Read 4106 times)
Randomline
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Know anything about these slings? And two finger loops.
Jan 19th, 2020 at 10:54am

I'm totally new to slinging.  Made a few seatbelt slings and three strand pouch paracord slings this last year.  Been thinking about buying a sling.  Really like the look of these ones:

https://practicalparacord.com/product/the-smiling-sling/

Anyone have one?  What do you think?  Would they work for a newby?

I'm also intrigued by the two finger loops.  Couldn't find much about it on here.  Is that a common thing?  His website says it helps with accuracy.  It shouldn't matter, right?  Looks interesting though.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Know anything about these slings? And two finger loops.
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:57am

That looks to be a fairly nice looking sling. It's more "advanced" than I was expecting when I saw "paracord sling". Most paracord slings are very very simple and to be honest... There's a good reason for that.

First I'll talk about the two-finger loops. I recently got a sling with two finger loops from GurtTractor (I really recommend getting one from him by the way, very nice sling) and, though I have yet to really put it through it's paces, I don't really think having two loops changes much. Improve accuracy? That's bull. You're right thinking it doesn't matter. It could be more comfortable but it won't really affect the throw in my opinion.

Overall, I think this sling looks quite nice, the price could be thought to be high but considering work and materials... yeah I think it's fair. Would I get one? No. Honestly, the single strand paracord slings are more than adequate. If you were wanting to buy a sling for aesthetics, then, of course, it's personal taste but I much prefer the AmdoCraft Tibetan slings. Made by local Tibetans, VERY good quality for the price and a bit more... interesting than paracord. Tibetan yak hair and sheep wool and really beautiful. Go for one of those instead Cheesy

*Not sponsored by AmdoCraft, I just really love the two I have Cheesy*

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 12:27pm

Kick wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:57am:
If you were wanting to buy a sling for aesthetics, then, of course, it's personal taste but I much prefer the AmdoCraft Tibetan slings. Made by local Tibetans, VERY good quality for the price and a bit more... interesting than paracord. Tibetan yak hair and sheep wool and really beautiful. Go for one of those instead Cheesy

*Not sponsored by AmdoCraft, I just really love the two I have Cheesy*

+1 to this.

When I first joined the forum I saw some posts about Amdo Craft slings.  Kick had a video posted throwing some snowballs with them, and on his recommendation I ordered a couple.  And fairly recently I ordered a couple more.  Very beautiful and fun slings to use.

A note on the paracord slings, I agree that the ones on the site you linked look nice.  If you want to get one, definitely go for it.  I don't think the price is too bad.  But if you check the tutorials here on the forum, I'd bet you can make something very similar since you're already working with paracord.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:55pm

It looks like a well made sling to me.  If I was going to buy one that would be a candidate.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 2:09pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:55pm:
  It looks like a well made sling to me.  If I was going to buy one that would be a candidate. 

It definitely looks well-made. It might just be my personal preferences coming through. I have some fantastic synthetic material slings but I do think natural looks better for me and performs just as well really. The braided paracord slings don't make much sense for me because I don't particularly like the look and it isn't needed for a strong sling. Single strand paracord slings will never break (at least the cord itself).

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Randomline
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 7:39pm

Thanks everyone.  I like the knotwork that went into them.  Like Joe mentioned, I'll probably make something similar from reading on here, but I think you all convinced me to buy one.  I'll be interested to see how red and glow in the dark look together. 

BTW - I bought three of the Tibetan ones too.  At their price, and the cost of shipping it didn't make sense not to pick up one of each style (or maybe it did but I wasn't listening).

Thanks for the feedback!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 2:02am

None of our members who have dealt with Amdocraft have been sorry afterward.  Their slings and other products are good bargains.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 4:23am

Diese fingerschlaufen machen Sinn. Sie verteilt die auftretende Kraft besser.
Ich verwende sie bei sehr leichten Slings.
Ansonsten mag ich kein Paracord bei einer Sling.

Quote:
These finger straps make sense. It distributes the force more effectively.
I use them on very light slings.
Otherwise I don't like paracord on a sling
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2020 at 7:18am by Curious Aardvark »  

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 1:32pm

There's still a couple of slings left in my sling giveaway if you like the look of any of them: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1578941947

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 2:00pm

JudoP slings are also highly recommended. I have one which is pretty much my main go-to sling and I have another coming now Cheesy

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 2:18pm

Randomline wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 7:39pm:
I bought three of the Tibetan ones too.  At their price, and the cost of shipping it didn't make sense not to pick up one of each style (or maybe it did but I wasn't listening).

That's exactly what I did. Wink

I like the JaCun the best.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:41am

I have a Gombo and a super long electric blue JaCun Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:01am

Oh yeah, I found the guy that makes these slings on YouTube. He seems like a pretty enthusiastic guy and a pretty darn good slinger. Proves the slings work too Cheesy I always like to find active slinging YouTube channels.

EDIT:
Whoops forgot to link his channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCLRwyTQFMtEJKPJb1SoEyQ
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2020 at 10:09am by Kick »  

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 7:15am

Oh yes, his Youtube channel is surprisingly Underrated!

I think he should be more popular. You can actually see the progression of his skills.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 6:56am

wonder if hes on the forum?? he throws scary close sometimes but hes pretty good.
it appears that slinging is making a little bit of a comeback in the last few years

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark)