Send Topic Print
Man's Best Friend (Read 277 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Man's Best Friend
Jan 11th, 2020 at 8:08pm

Modern science estimates that humans started keeping dogs as pets from 13,000 to 30,000 thousand years ago.  I believe this estimate is wrong.  It is much too conservative.  They base their opinion on physical evidence.  The farther back in time you go the less people there were on earth so the less physical evidence there will be.  Also the farther back you go the more evidence is destroyed. 
      I believe that our association with dogs goes back to the dawn of our existence as a species.  I'm borrowing from Temple Grandin here;  as wolves became dogs they evolved into a new creature that is dependent on man.  As we domesticated wild wolves we also evolved into a different creature... one that depended on dogs for his existence. 
    On my street only one household doesn't have a dog.  Almost all of my neighbors have multiple dogs. I have three.  Though none of these dogs are necessary to their owners' survival as they were in the past we find ourselves compelled to keep them in our lives.  They are deep in our DNA.  I have no scientific evidence to support this but I believe that our association with dogs goes back millions, not thousands of years. 

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Slinging.org Administrator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Man's Best Friend
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 2:05pm

Drawn by my mate George Riemann Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 11:33pm

One other thought on dogs.  I currently own  dogs #9, 10, and 11.  I've been around dogs my whole life and have known dozens well.  You'd think a dog is a dog but each one has a distinctly different personality.  That's probably one of the things that draws us together.  They are very much like us in that regard.

IP Logged

Morphy
Interfector Viris Spurii

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 1:26pm

If you could sit down and design a perfect, loyal and loving companion it would be hard to make it better than what we already have in dogs. Now if I could just teach my terrier to make me a sandwich...

"The problem with democracy is no matter who you vote for the government still gets in."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 12:42pm

Dogs' only fault is that they don't live long enough.  At five and a half if Pandora and Max where human they'd be in kindergarten.  As it is they're entering middle age.  Their lives zoom by.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)