see reply #14

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Sling hunting?
Reply #46 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:13am

Man muß ein Kaninchen nicht treffen.
Man schießt vor das Kaninchen in den Boden. Sie erschrecken so sehr das sie in einen Schock fallen. Oft ist dieser Schock schon tödlich.
Mein erstes Kaninchen traf ich am Kopf. Mit einem etwa 200g schweren Stein. Der Stein trennte denn Kopf ab. Das war für mich  ein Schock und unerwartet.
Der zweite Treffer war ein Körper Treffer. Ebenfalls mit einem Stein.
Beim zubereiten fanden sich im Fleisch feine Knochen splitter. Das Fleisch war unbrauchbar, da auch Organe verletzt wurden.
Also, einfach vor das Kaninchen schießen. 😁
In Kasachstan war das sehr einfach.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #47 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:14am

I guess my question is more so
“are we searching for penetration or blunt force trauma”
And given a larger projectile will have a slightly better chance of hitting its mark, is it better to use a less dense material??

Given the KE and momentum are the same, what is a better transfer of energy to lethality??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #48 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:24am

Mersa wrote on Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:14am:
Given the KE and momentum are the same, what is a better transfer of energy to lethality??

blunt is a better transfer of energy. something sharp would penetrate through the rabbit and keep going.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #49 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:36am

Ok so given that a rabbit is a small game animal, at what point would you think that converting to a penetrating projectile would be evident and beneficial.

Rabbit
Fox
Deer
Pig
Buffalo

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #50 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:48am

I think anywhere up to and over Pig-sized is when you'll probably want to use lead.

But even in this situation, I think a bow or a firearm is a much better weapon. Excepting a hit to the brain or lungs... I don't think a lead glande is gonna kill most animals humanely or quickly.

Then again, hit placement will be important for both bows/crossbows and firearms. However, it is much easier to get proper hit-placement with these weapons than a sling. Unless you are like Jaegoor!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #51 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 6:07am

Buffalo

Other weapons are better because of their accuracy and consistency. Watch videos on pig hunting with ARs/shotguns/compound bows/trad bows they don't drop dead.

P.S.
I think there is even a harpoon cannon video and the pig runs away before it dies. Don't expect from anything to kill a pig instantly it will take time ,I'd expect the same from slings.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #52 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 7:40am

Another spin on the same kinda subject, let’s go back to the rabbit, let’s keep the speed of projectile at 40mps.

Given we almost all agree that 100g stone is sufficient at that speed , at what weight would you convert to lead???

75g
50g
25g
12.5g

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #53 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 8:30am

I'd say ~20-25 grams.

I'm not sure if a slingstone at that weight could reliably kill a rabbit. That'd roughly be 20J at 25 grams at 40 m/s, but that may go lower depending on distance to target and air-drag etcetera etcetera.

Lead's performance likely won't degrade very much below the initial energy, especially within hunting distances.

Slinging stones or clay at weights lower than 25 I'd say would not be that reliable at killing a rabbit. The amount of energy at that point would be paltry. You'd expect figures Below 15J

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #54 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 9:17am

I think I agree with jackinati
Things would get small though .If you could spiral throw a very elongated 20gram Stone then you would get the same result as a lead bb of same mass. I go that low in mass for Max speed or long range throws.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #55 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 3:45pm

I find it all very interesting. I would love to hunt rabbits with the sling but most of the time I find myself hunting with a bow.

It seems that if I was able to hit my mark as often as I can with a bow that the sling would be very much the superior choice.

55# traditional recurve : 30-32gram arrow @ 50-55mps
Sling: 20-200gram projectile @ 20-40mps

As a general rule it also seems likely that throwing the heaviest projectile possible is better than speed except for potentially alerting the game animal, but given the shot hits heavy and slow is likely better than light and fast.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #56 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 1:48am

I'm interested in hunting but I also know that I am not someone that should be hunting. I don't the relevant knowledge, my accuracy isn't good enough for me to trust and I don't have any use for the end result. There is also the fact that I'm pretty much certain it would be illegal to hunt with a sling in Finland. Hunting is taken seriously here and is well regulated.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #57 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 3:09am

The way I shot my bow this morning I think I’m more accurate with the sling ha ha

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #58 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 10:54pm

Mersa wrote on Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:14am:
I guess my question is more so
“are we searching for penetration or blunt force trauma”
And given a larger projectile will have a slightly better chance of hitting its mark, is it better to use a less dense material??

The military has a hybrid category for shrapnel and such that’s in between blunt force and laceration. The technical term is “chunky penetration”.  That’s probably the best category for most sling bullets.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #59 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 10:57pm

By the way... DO NOT search the Internet for “chunky penetration”! If you do... only use Google scholar.

Here’s a safe example reference:

https://apps.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA063525

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15)