Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Sling hunting? (Read 19512 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Sling hunting?
Reply #30 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 1:28pm

A lot of people are surprised to hear England has wild boar. Around the Midlands where I grew up, some escaped and have been roaming around for years now. There are warnings every now and then when sows are spotted with piglets. They can kill if you get on the wrong side of them.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #31 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 7:43pm

In another thread from a few years back, somebody was referencing accounts of how South American slingers had specialized slings for waterfowl hunting and like Ratman mentioned, they made the stones skip over the water to hit more birds.
As for that mythical one shot kill on a large animal? Yes! I'm sure if it was a tricky shot a lot of us would fail. That being said, easy shots do come along all the time and I like to think a solid portion of the members here would have a solid chance at an easy shot.
8-10 years ago, I was walking back home on the tracks and was casually slinging. It was dusk, and suddenly I was face to face with a young male white tailed deer. He was less than twenty feet away and I had a rock IN MY SLING!!! Of course I never took the shot and we peaceably went around each other after a moment but it can be that easy. Imagine a smart hunter with passable slinging skills.....

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #32 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 9:26am

We must also not forget the great legends of RS who read in an ancient book somewhere about a forgotten culture who had a special technique for stunning fish with a sling and a flat rock. Word is that the technique was passed down from Jesus the noodler himself, and that may even be how he miraculously fed the 5000!

Sadly, RS took his trolling too far and has been forever banished from our lives. At least we still have the turkey style...

... but if I remember correctly, the duck hunting story was not RS, and was actually legitimate Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

maxibon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Cowaramup
Reply #33 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 10:37am

i feel like one big issue sling hunting would have is the motion of it. while there is still movement in the draw of a bow, you can be in a crouched or relatively out of view position and any animal you're hunting can't be alerted. with slinging on the other hand you have to a) be in an open enough area to perform your full technique which can give away your location in the first place and b) wave your arm around your head, the last thing you want to be doing during a stalk next to yelling at the animal. i understand that the action is quick but with a jittery animal as most game is, that split second is enough for them to move their head or take a step and then the whole game changes

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #34 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 11:28am

I have found the motion of a sling not to be a problem. though I don't hunt I use my sling to scare off squirrels who don't usually move in til my projectile (a acorn ) hits.
As for a bow, I have little experience with them,but I think that the lack of movement in the bow would be off set by the larger more visible arrow. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Gj

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #35 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 2:05pm

I've more often had the problem of water birds swimming INTO the line of fire than going in the other direction. Even with big long Tibetan slings using helicopter. I've also walked past hares that have frozen in place and slung towards them but with an empty sling. They've only ever moved if the sling cracks or makes a whipping noise. Granted, I have been mostly slinging in populated areas and most of the birds and animals are quite comfortable around humans but still I think even I could go hunting and eventually hit something.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #36 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 4:12am

It’s partly what animal and the environmental conditions it gre up in and part the distance that the shot is taken.
At longer distances with no cracker and a smooth projectile the sling is much more silent and stealthy than a bow, arrows make quite a lot of noise and are big enough to easily see.
At closer distances the sling requires a lot of movement and it is hard to combat this with cover because you make the actual shot harder.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #37 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 9:26pm

One way to minimize alerting game when hunting with a sling is to use Apache Style.  With no windup your prey would have less time to react.  There is a tradeoff though.  Apache doesn't give you quite as much power and range as the other styles. At least that's been my experience.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #38 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 10:54pm

Totally agree rat man. Apache is not as powerful as most the other styles, but if you put in a large stone it’s pretty decent in comparison to a hand throw. Guess if your close enough it could be a good trade off.

I’m going to get back to practicing the turkey throw. This really was RS gift to the forum. I think it has a lot of potential in hunting. Pity none of us are really proficient with this style.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #39 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 1:36am

I find one style that doesn't get enough mention is Greek (at least I believe it's Greek, other people might have a different name for it). Holding the stone out towards the target, throwing it over your shoulder and basically doing a half spin helicopter throw. Basically no wind up and I've found it quite accurate. Again, not as much power but not totally weak. I might go out and get some practice with Greek style today.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #40 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 8:43am

I did manage to get some practice in and I do think Greek is a viable hunting throw but basic helicopter is probably my go to. I can get a lot more power without losing too much accuracy. Always good to have options though.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #41 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 12:11pm

When I first started slinging I used nothing but Apache for the first few months.  Don't ask me why now.  I could get about 80 yards maximum with it eventually.  I would have to practice a good bit because I haven't used it for years but for close up sling hunting Apache would be a viable option for me.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #42 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 1:07pm

I always forget about Apache. I'll try that too next time I'm out. I'll throw in Turkey Throw as well Cheesy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #43 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 2:33am

Another question that always makes me wonder is are you better off using a smaller denser object or a larger less dense object.

Let’s say 100grams @ 40mps.
And for a easier animal to compare let’s use a rabbit.

Is a better option a larger blunt stone or a sharp point lead biconical???

What do you all think and why?

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #44 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 4:38am

I think If I was hunting rabbit, I'd prefer a nice round stone or clay ball.

At the distances you will be hunting at, aerodynamic performance won't be of a great importance. But It would be far superior compared to say, an angular pebble or terrible piece of limestone.

Round projectiles are also very unlikely to create a noise. Lead glandes and to a lesser extent Biconnical clay slingstones will often make some form of noise.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris)