Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Here's one for joe meadmaker :-) (Read 2125 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Here's one for joe meadmaker :-)
Reply #15 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 3:59am

That book you talked about in the thread, it had some good pointers on how to go about wild fermentation.  Which i would definitely enjoy doing. Its about self sufficient for me..now i do have a question,  when i first racked it u put it in a pickle jar with lid, it got very tight.with my 2nd rack.  I put it back in a growler with an airlock back on it. Is that the right way ? Should it have been put in the growler with airlock at 1st?
On the bees i will be spending this year researching and readi g some of my books on beekeeping.

I am hoping to have the patience,  but then again. I am so busy that leaving it alone wont be a problem.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 8:40am

You'll want the airlock if there is any chance you still have any fermentation activity.  Even if there's a possibility it's at a level that you can't see because it's so small.

My normal schedule is something like this:
  • 5-6 weeks in the primary fermenter.
  • Rack to secondary and continue to use and airlock.  Leave in secondary for 3-4 months.
  • Rack again.  If this racking has no other additions, I'll switch the airlock to a solid top.  If anything is added (more honey, fruit, stabilizers, etc.) continue to use an airlock in case of any further fermentation or CO2 being release.
  • Repeat starting at Step 3 as needed.  Although if I'm adding fruit, I usually only leave it on for 2-3 weeks before racking again.

So to answer your question, yeah, I would have use the airlock after the first racking.  You are probably good with a completely sealed container after the second racking (again, as long as you're not adding anything).

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #17 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 8:50pm

That makes alot of sense now. I dont remember reading time frames in the book, but cant fault hkm on it. Since each one is different.  Greatly appreciated.  I will most likely using your schedule as a base. Since i am jjmping into this with jo knowledge.  Lol. Plus instructions i did get from the kit, were very vague.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)