Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Here's one for joe meadmaker :-) (Read 2126 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Here's one for joe meadmaker :-)
Jan 6th, 2020 at 12:04pm

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Re: Here's one for joe meadmaker :-)
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 3:03pm

Hah, cool.

And I err... do the same thing with my mead. Who needs fancy stuff. It's yeast, water and honey!

Interestingly enough, I believe that the oldest find of mead was in China. Still, it was likely quite ubiquitous and was probably discovered independently by adventurous, brave souls.

Probably the same sort who thought that letting milk curdle into Cheese and going "Hmmm, that looks pretty edible right about now..." Brave souls. Brave souls.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 4:52pm

That's cool!  Always like to hear about another meadery opening.  The problem is that it's about 1500 miles away. Tongue

I'll have to keep it in mind if I'm ever going to be near Colorado.  I wonder if these guys took any inspiration from this book: https://www.amazon.com/Make-Mead-Like-Viking-Wild-Fermented/dp/1603585982/ref=sr...

@TheJackinati - You don't need anything fancy to clear up a mead.  The only thing I use is refrigeration and time.  When I want to get some mead bottled up, I just put a keg in the fridge.  After about a month (sometimes a little longer), any sediment that's going to drop has done so.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 8:23am

I wasn't talking about clearing up a mead. I was mainly speaking about how there is really no need for chemicals and fancy colorants to make a mead.

That said, I primarily just rack it and drink! Skol!

Occasionally, I might heat some up in a saucepan with spices like Cinnamon and Ginger, clove and nutmeg.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:39am

TheJackinati wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 8:23am:
there is really no need for chemicals and fancy colorants to make a mead.

No argument with that whatsoever. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 6:50pm

I actually just made my 1st gallon a week ago. I am looking at picking up that book in the future

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 12:23am

Sweet man!  Keep us posted on the progress.  Although first piece of advice, don't rush it.  Fermented honey takes its time for the flavors to come out.  When making mead, patience (or procrastination Smiley) is your friend.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 12:45am

My friend has done some small batch mead making. Pretty tasty rocket fuel!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 4:20am

Yeh, i definitely will. The honey didnt mix correctly so its at the bottom. But i researched it more, it actually makes it a sweeter mead. So hopefully it turns out well. If not, z couple turkeys in my flock are alcoholics.   Grin

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 8:42pm

I actually am currently reading that book. Its got some good jnfo, i love the history.  But i as of a week ago i have made gallons,  with a few more in the works. When i get more honey. Trying different flavor variations.  The 1st one i made was raspberry.  I racked it once, and will be racking a second time in about a week or 2. The 3 others that are vurrently fermenting are blackberry, strawberry and blueberry. I will have to keep you updated, and will try to remember pictures

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 11:01pm

That's great!  You're doing very differently than I did.  When I first started, I did multiple batches of traditional (nothing but honey, water, and yeast) before I started adding other things.  I did a lot of experimentation with different kinds of honey.  I think traditional is still my favorite.  Although I do love a cherry mead.  And that's one of the best things about home fermentation, freedom and variation.

I meant to ask you before.  What kind of yeast are you using?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:08pm

The yeast was Red star, but it came in a mead making kit thst was a gift to me. Main reason i started with fruit, is at my work had a really good sale of fruit at the time I started my first gallon of mead. But the next batch will have a regular mead, and i have a few experiments that i want to try. Like use maple syrup as a flavor and try real vanilla extract.  I think i might attempt to use wild yeast, but still reading that book.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 7:49pm

I finished the book today, i will definitely be collecting wild yeast, and have some notes i been taking. I racked the raspberry and tried it. Not bad. Its only a month old. But i did rack the strawberry mead as well. Had a hard time using the auto syphon, its bent due to improper cleaning, but the strawberry chunks were clogging it.  So i had to mouth syphon unfortunately.  After both have beeen racked i did add some water to raise the level in the growlers. But next time i will be adding more honey. I can get it for $6 a pound, if i buy in bulk at 5lb jars from a local beekeeper.  I did do 2 with pure honey, and 2 with raw honey.

I WILL  be starting beekeeping next year. I love bees and honey, and have plenty of room for em.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 10:30pm

That's great.  Now comes the waiting part.  I was at a friend's house yesterday.  His dad is working on his first mead.  It's about a month old at this point.  I took some equipment over and helped him rack it.  He didn't think much of the flavor, but I told him it has a long way to go.  He asked me what the next step is.  I told him we're going to wait 3-4 months and rack it again. Smiley

I haven't tried anything related to wild fermentation.  Maybe someday.  It's just not something I'm interested in at the moment.  I'd definitely like to hear how things go if you try it.  Also love to see some videos on beekeeping once you start that up. Cheesy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 11:39pm

a friend of mine made some wild fermentation mead, stuff was quite thick and sweet but was rocket fuel. not something you would drink loads of due to the strength but tasted great. we would drink it like whiskey on ice

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)