Send Topic Print
Staff Sling (Read 760 times)
Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Staff Sling
Jan 5th, 2020 at 1:22am

I made and tested a staff sling today. I made it with an old 4’ broom handle, kevlar cord, and a leather split pouch. What an incredible performance. Between work, stone slinging, and throwing boomerangs my tennis elbow can be a bear. However the staff sling enabled me to launch bigger stones at equivelant distance as standard slings without disturbing my arm. Plus I have a stick that can also use for self defense, a spear, or walking stick. I will most definitely be making more of these. (I typed in staff sling in the search box but nothing came up, though I’m sure I remember reading a post. I’m pretty new to the forum and navigating this beast quite the challenge) If any of you have used a staff sling, I would love to hear your opinion and or review and or images. Thanks!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Staff Sling
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 2:07am

The search bar is basically useless. If you click the Search button above next to Help and Members, that opens the more advanced search and that works much better.

I really need to work on my staff sling. I didn't manage to get mine to release very well and I kept driving tennis balls into the ground. Itv might work better with stones but I don't really have a good spot that I can use it with stones.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 8:12am

Another thing I'm going to have to make.

I'd imagine that the Staff-sling is pretty much the greatest launcher concerning big, heavy stones.

Afterall, We can't all be like Mr Livermore!

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 9:08am

Kick wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 2:07am:
The search bar is basically useless. If you click the Search button above next to Help and Members, that opens the more advanced search and that works much better.

I really need to work on my staff sling. I didn't manage to get mine to release very well and I kept driving tennis balls into the ground. Itv might work better with stones but I don't really have a good spot that I can use it with stones.

Thanks for the search pointers. I will try that for sure. I go to a park on the choptank river and lauch them out into the water. I had the same problem throwing into the ground until I adjusted my stance pointing my left shoulder at target and throwing a bit side arm. It performs excellent with goose egg size rocks in my 6” split pouch.

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 9:20am

TheJackinati wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 8:12am:
Another thing I'm going to have to make.

I'd imagine that the Staff-sling is pretty much the greatest launcher concerning big, heavy stones.

Afterall, We can't all be like Mr Livermore!

Livermore is my sling hero. I want to sling one of those mediterranean stones. They can’t be as obnoxious as these east coast river stones. Ha!HaHa!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 1:08pm

Staff Slings are great fun to design and use.  One advantage they have over the hand sling is the learning curve.  A novice can use a Staff Sling reasonably well almost right away.  Not so with a hand sling.  The other advantage you noted above; you can sling much heavier objects the same distance as a Hand Sling can with ease. 
    Bamboo makes a really nice staff for a Staff Sling.  If you can find some give it a try. 
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2020 at 9:40pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Saacson
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Md USA
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 6:32pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 1:08pm:
    Staff Slings are great fun to design and use.  One advantage they have over the hand sling is the learning curve.  A novice can use a Staff Sling reasonably well almost right away.  Not so with a hand sling.  The other advantage you noted above; you can sling much heavier objects the same distance as a Hand Sling can with ease. 
    Bamboo makes a really nice staff for a Staff Sling.  If you can find some give it a try. 

Excellent suggestion about the bamboo. Will definitely try to get some of that. I have looked at bo staffs and even javelins as potential options due to the added versatility.

Definite advantage in having a staff sling in the tackle box when taking newbies out. I think it is easier to promote the sport if there is something they can imediately participate in successfully.

Now all I need is more ammo! Ha!Ha!Ha!
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2020 at 9:41pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)