Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Differences Between Natural Fibres (Read 1472 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Differences Between Natural Fibres
Jan 2nd, 2020 at 8:33pm

I'm interested in learning some of the differences between common natural fibres used for making slings, specifically, characteristics of the completed sling, such as abrasion resistance, elasticity, etc.
I.e. How do hemp fibres compare to pita/sisal?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Differences Between Natural Fibres
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 4:08am

Sisal, I've found, is very tough and resistant but is pretty tough on your hands, both in making and using. There's a good reason the Balearic islanders add leather to the loops. Hemp isn't as tough, but for me is a much more comfortable material to use. It's still very tough especially if you make the sling quite thick and tightly woven. Leather protection on the pouch would also really help in making them last but I haven't personally done this.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 12:13pm

I believe Hemp and linen fibres are actually stronger than Sissal fibres, at least if you are basing off of individual fibres.

Bunched up together in string form though, Hemp, Sissal and Linen are damned tough and durable.

If you want a cheaper sling, Sissal is likely the way to go. However, if you want a more comfortable experience out of a sling without resorting to leather finger-guards... and a sling made from a natural plant fibre, you really can't beat Hemp, Linen or Nettle for slings. All the strength and durability you could expect out of Sisal, but with none of the damned roughness!

The only thing that beats plant fibres for comfortability out of a sling in my opinion is Wool. Whether that wool be from a sheep or from a Llama or Alpaca doesn't really matter. Wool slings are damned comfortable any time.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 1:59pm

I've just finished a traditional Balearic sling using sisal, and I can already feel my skin turning to leather. Wool certainly is comfortable, and it makes quite a good sling too. I find they work well as long as it's made using felting yarn, and is then wet stretched, boiled, then stretched again until it dries. I found that this process takes a huge amount elasticity out of the sling, and the felting makes all of the fibers congeal; making it a lot more durable.
Reminds me to continue my wool sling experiments...

Now nettle is something I have never thought to try, but something I must!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 2:14pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Jan 3rd, 2020 at 1:59pm:
Now nettle is something I have never thought to try, but something I must!

I was thinking the exact same thing.  I've used linen and hemp a number of times.  I've actually got in the habit of braiding them together.  Only used sisal once, but like others have mentioned I'm not a big fan of the feel.

I just ordered some nettle on Etsy so I'll see how that is.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 5:37pm

Another thing for nettle...

You can get it wet... and supposedly it not only isn't a detriment... it supposedly makes the fibres stronger!

But only when the sling is wet.

So, It'd be the perfect sling material for a rainy day! Grin

That said, it may get a little bit 'gummy' when wet.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 10:45pm

The first time I made a sling out of Sisal I was very surprised afterward... my hands were torn to ribbons.  Other that that Sisal is OK I guess.
    I've used all of the natural fibers and liked every one.  My favorite is Jute.  It's cheap as dirt, easy to work with, and makes a very nice looking sling.  Admittedly a Jute sling might not be the most durable though. 
     Cotton, like butchers twine, makes a pretty nice sling also.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 2:10am

Yes, Jute is a great fibre. I've found that I can also weave better with jute than with other natural fibres, I don't know why. It's probably just me.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 1:13pm

TheJackinati wrote on Jan 4th, 2020 at 2:10am:
Yes, Jute is a great fibre. I've found that I can also weave better with jute than with other natural fibres, I don't know why. It's probably just me.

Me also.  It has less memory than other natural fibers.  This translates to less tangles when weaving.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 11:48pm

Does anyone know of any supplier that sells raw pita fibre? It's seems to be quite hard to come by, unless one intends to buy 15 tons of it from China...
And I'm not the greatest fan of unraveling sisal rope and stripping the fibres, as its seems I'm spending more time preparing the fibers than actually braiding! + the resulting fibers are shorter than the raw fiber straight (making tapering a lot more tricky).

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)