Send Topic Print
Duck Eggs (Read 1306 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Duck Eggs
Dec 27th, 2019 at 11:34pm

After my late wife's dad got Leukemia she (Marie) spent part of her  childhood growing up on her uncle's farm.  She used to always go on about how good duck eggs are.  I am 65 and never got the opportunity to try them.  It was high on my bucket list. On Christmas my niece Julie, who has ducks, gave me a basket of them.  They are considerably bigger than chicken eggs.  I expected them to be good but stronger tasting than chicken eggs.  I half expected a slight fishy taste to them.  I was completely wrong.  They taste much like chicken eggs but milder. They are excellent.  If you get the chance, try them.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2019 at 9:42pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Duck Eggs
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 9:39pm

We eat more duck eggs then the chicken eggs,  you can definitely taste a difference.  Duck eggs are mostly used in baking as well.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 6:59am

because ducks have a better dieat than most chickens the yolks are yellower and richer.
Ducks don't eat fish, pretty much vegetarians.

Only way to beat a duck egg is to go for a goose egg !
Those things are huge - one egg omelettes Smiley ,

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 10:38pm

I've seen people cooking and eating Ostrich eggs on TV.  One is like a dozen chicken eggs.  I'd love to try one.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 3:46am

My gf watched a few YouTube videos a few weeks back. She has been on a kick about emus.  She wants a few of those, to raise.

On aside note, we are waiting for Turkey eggs, we have been told those are good.

@Ca, our ducks have the same diet as our chickens,  and you can taste the difference in the eggs.,  they eat lots of bugs, when wee have no snow,  theh eat a ton of slugs.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 1:17pm

One benefit of Emus is that they would be able to defend themselves against most predators. You could make a meal for both of you from one of their eggs.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 8:29pm

Not sure what emus you're talking about , Australia has no natural predators for a bird that size , think they would get smashed by North American predators.
And another thing is I got no idea how legal it is to obtain a emu, they're protected here with the exception of cultural hunting. And sadly I think you could say a few would have been lost in the current wildfires.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 9:30pm

I could be mistaken.  I was thinking that since Emus are near the same size as Ostriches they are also capable of defending themselves as Ostriches are.
    The Australian wildfires are heartbreaking.  Hopefully they will end soon.
     I ate the last of my Christmas duck eggs today.  I have to say that they are the best eggs I've ever tasted.  The biggest one was a double yolker.  I'll have to figure out how to finagle more from my niece at the next family gathering.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - May 4th, 2020 at 10:07am

My niece called me yesterday and said she had more duck eggs for me. When I arrived at her house she said they are getting four dozen per week... more than they can possibly use. So I can have all of the free fresh duck eggs I want. This is a major score.
    Somehow I didn't notice with the last batch I had but the yolks of duck eggs taste richer than those of chicken eggs.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2020 at 9:35pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2020 at 12:25pm

emus could kill most american predators with a kick.
Just don't mess with them.  Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris)