Send Topic Print
The Potato (Read 2210 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
The Potato
Dec 27th, 2019 at 8:58pm

This is just an off the wall thought.  Imagine you're living in early 16th Century Europe.  Cargo ships have only recently started returning from the New World with foods and spices no one has ever tasted or even heard of before.  Everyone is raving about this new food, a root vegetable.  Someone gives you a slab of potato fried golden brown in lard with a little salt on it.  It's a flavor we take for granted but if you had never tasted it before... I imagine the simple potato took Europe by storm.  It must have caused a real uproar initially. 
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2020 at 8:03pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: The Potato
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 10:01pm

That’s one of the core subplots of the movie Jabberwocky Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 4:04am

My one request for the Christmas table was roast potatoes. It was our first time cooking them the way my mum makes them and they turned out perfectly! Boil them for 5 minutes then roast them in plenty of oil at about 200C until they're golden. Potatoes might be my favourite food just because they're so versatile and can be made delicious in a thousand different ways covering every imaginable texture but those roast potatoes... Absolute perfection.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 4:08am

Impossible to resist !
This automn, mushrooms of fields (rosé des prés) with potatos. Boiled potatos, and mushrooms and potatos in a frying pan.
Enjoy your meal !

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 3:20pm

Hey Kick
My favorites also. I use a little sesame oil for them, little bit onion powder, and maybe a dusting of Parmesan. Cant beat them
  I know you are in Finland  ..but are you as english as i am,? just saying ...

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 3:49pm

Eudave wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 3:19pm:
Hey Kick
My favorites also. I use a little sesame oil for them, little bit onion powder, and maybe a dusting of Parmesan. Cant beat them
  I know you are in Finland  ..but are you as english as i am,? just saying ...

That sounds pretty amazing and I'm not quite a flag-waving patriot but I am English Cheesy It's my 7th year in Finland this year and despite it being such a long time, I haven't gone fully native. Don't drink coffee, can't stand liqourice and the only tea I drink is Yorkshire.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 8:36pm

... back to the potato Cheesy
They make pretty good sling ammo too!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 4:30am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 17th, 2020 at 8:36pm:
... back to the potato Cheesy
They make pretty good sling ammo too!

I have to say I wouldn't want to get hit by a potato from a sling. That would really hurt. I've heard of serious injuries from potato cannons so it's not too crazy to think a slung potato would be a bad time.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 1:40pm

Once on a camping trip in the Alleghenies one of the guys brought a spud cannon.  Lighter fluid was the propellant.  The gun developed a surprising amount of power.  It shot raw potatoes with enough velocity that they were pulverized when they hit a tree.  I wouldn't want to get hit with one.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 9:32am

never been mad keen on potatoes.

I like amerian style skinny fries and dauphinoise.

These days, with the diabetes I just don't eat any kind of potato.

weirdly apart from pure glucose, potatos raise your blood sugar higher and faster than just about anything else you can eat.

On the glycemic index glucose is 100
potatos are 95 !
Normal table sugar is 60
and a really good high cocoa content milk chocolate can be as low as 15 (the new lindt 64% cocoa solids milk chocolate).

So I don't eat potatos any more. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 1:03pm

The potato is overrated
the tomato on the other hand...

can you imagine pizza without tomatoes?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 3:35pm

Sarosh wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 1:03pm:
The potato is overrated
the tomato on the other hand...

can you imagine pizza without tomatoes?

Overrated!!!!  Angry

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:26pm

Potato’s are the best , love em roasted in cubes with lots of salt and truffle oil  Tongue

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 12:28am

Potatoes are a staple with me.  It's hard to imagine life without them.  If I had to give them up for health reasons I would but I would miss them much. I love them many different ways.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 8:33pm

LOVE red new potatos fresh from the garden Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris)