Send Topic Print
Slings as gifts (Read 834 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Slings as gifts
Dec 26th, 2019 at 5:02pm

This topic is kind of tied to the thread on 'How many slings we made this year'.  It's here in case anyone hasn't seen it: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1545837244.

This question was triggered by the posts from NooneOfConsequence, but I'm glad to hear responses from everyone.  You made a bunch of slings in a nice little kit with a tennis ball.  When you give slings out to people (mainly asking about non-slinging recipients), do find that they get used at all?  The box with a sling and a tennis ball was a great idea, but I don't know if that's something you've done before.

This came to mind because I made a sling for a friend as a Christmas present.  It's just a simple one with a leather pouch and paracord.  My friend likes to disc golf a lot so I thought it might be a good addition for him in his bag.  Then if he comes across some nice rocks or other good projectiles in his disc golf journeys, he could do a bit of slinging.  It got me thinking about how many gifted slings actually get some use.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Slings as gifts
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 5:48pm

I have two slings meant for a friend but I already have a feeling they're going to just end up on a shelf Cheesy Slinging is pretty niche and the difficulty curve can be off-putting, I'm kind of amazed I've stuck with it so long Cheesy
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2019 at 7:19am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 8:00pm

I've given roughly 10 good slings away to non slingers , 1 of the 10 is now an active slinger , the rest are probaly in a cupboard or lost or unused

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 10:41am

Great question Joe!
I gave slings to all my nieces and nephews, and the jury’s still out on whether it’s a hit or not. The group that seems the most excited is 30-something men.

See attached video... Every day around 2:00 at the office, we’ve started taking a “coffee break” where a bunch of grown men leave their computers, go outside and play catch (50-75 yards away from each other) for 15-20 minutes.  Several have taken that enthusiasm home to their kids too.  The real test for me is if they start going outside to sling when I’m not with them.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 8:51pm

@Kick - Completely agree.  Slinging is definitely a hobby that you have to want to do, so you keep at it long enough to get some skill and make it enjoyable.

@Mersa - I would call 1 out of 10 a pretty good rate.  I don't think I've made 10 people try slinging yet.  Close, but I'm probably at 7 or 8.  So far none have looked in to it afterward.

@NOC - That's cool man!  Nice little area you have there to go out and sling.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 9:10pm

Do they get used?  It depends on the person. I've given some away and they started the recipient on a slinging addiction.  I gave one to one of my great nephews a few years ago and he loved it.  He used it to throw tennis balls to his dogs.  There was a pretty little girl in our neighborhood, Alyssa.  She's grown now.  She would always ask me to make her slings of particular colors or designs.  She just collected them.  They were rarely if ever used.  But she enjoyed them so I was OK with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)