Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Balearic International Slinging Tournament 2020 (Read 15528 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Balearic International Slinging Tournament 2020
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 4:59pm

So Pep has asked if I can be the representative for Finland Grin I may or may not be working on a Finnish flag themed sling...

Suomi! Suomi! Suomi!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 5:37pm

That's so awesome you're going Kick!  Like CA, my finances just don't align with an oversea trip this year.  I've already got a tentative plan for next year, to get through the holiday season with less money spent.  If I can manage that, the trip could possibly happen.

Definitely go for a Finnish sling. Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 8:02am

don't forget that next year is the big sling event in guam - so I'm aiming for that next year, not mallorca Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 9:13am

Can I make both? We'll see but Guam would be amazing to visit anyway Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 6:43am

you can't make both in 2021 as they will be happening, pretty much at the same time and anyone who can be, will be in guam Smiley

It's just the time that the 500th (or 400, have to check) anniversary of spain invading guam falls.

I know it seems weird to celebrate the date when your culture got subsumed by someone elses - but any excuse for a party right Smiley
Also it's celebrating the resurgence of the chamorro culture in recent years - driven in no small part by the sling and the traditions surrounding it.

Plus since spain sold guam to the United States for a glorified military base - the spanish seem to have kind of come back into favour somewhat.

Given all the slingers they have on the outlying islands, I think 2021 could well end up being the the largest gathering of competitive slingers in recorded history. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #20 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 9:41am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 6:43am:
you can't make both in 2021 as they will be happening, pretty much at the same time and anyone who can be, will be in guam Smiley

It's just the time that the 500th (or 400, have to check) anniversary of spain invading guam falls.

I know it seems weird to celebrate the date when your culture got subsumed by someone elses - but any excuse for a party right Smiley
Also it's celebrating the resurgence of the chamorro culture in recent years - driven in no small part by the sling and the traditions surrounding it.

Plus since spain sold guam to the United States for a glorified military base - the spanish seem to have kind of come back into favour somewhat.

Given all the slingers they have on the outlying islands, I think 2021 could well end up being the the largest gathering of competitive slingers in recorded history. 

Looks like I'm heading to Guam then. Maybe...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 10:23am

you'll be the finnish slinging champion Smiley
Maybe get sponsorship to help with the costs.
simply turning up in mallorca and slinging your first throw in a competition, will make you that Smiley

IP Logged

George Besendorfer
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 1:19pm

Is there any update on this event?
Thanks

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #23 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 3:45pm

Well I now have my flights so I'm definitely going and my dad will also be there. He's coming over from England to cheer me on and do some cycling Cheesy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #24 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 6:26pm

Unfortunately I'm going to miss Mallorca this year but I'm going to try my best to get to Guam or Mallorca next year , perhaps I can look into some sponsorship or establishing an Australian team, I know there's 3 west Aussie slingers and one in Tasmania , maybe I'll make a post and see what I can gather up.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #25 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 10:20am

I got some more practice in this time with stones. I honestly didn't do too well but I did land this shot which I'm very happy with Cheesy

https://youtu.be/FXb9Mic2Nn8

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 2:24pm

Nice hit!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:44am

Thanks! There were a lot of misses either side of this hit but being able to upload it straight with no edits was pretty nice Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 8:24am

whatever that is, put it on a pole. You need to throw at a target nearer head height Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #29 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 10:22am

It's a bloody big metal pan. Believe me, if I could I would. It was a battle to get it just to stand up Cheesy All I had was a really rubbish stick. There's a big heavy log that has a branch that's pointing straight up near-by. I might have a go at dragging it over a bit and see if that works better. My one wish is a big garden I could set up a proper target range. Luckily, most of my shots have been going too high so I should be fine for the competition Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus)