Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What I Like About Winter (Read 812 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
What I Like About Winter
Dec 20th, 2019 at 3:36pm

Many people hate snow.  This is unfortunate because for much of the world the snow will come whether you hate it or not.  We might as well embrace it.  I love Winter, snow, and all that goes with it. 
   Major holidays are bunched close together in the late Fall and Winter.  Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Easter following closely in the early Spring. 
    The air is clean, crisp, and the humidity is very low.  There is very little sweating. 
    I can take drastically hot showers without worrying about heating the house up too much.
    Dog poop is frozen.  When  you have three dogs this is a big help.
    As a kid I was severely bullied from kindergarten through tenth grade, when I finally got big enough to be left alone.  These were the olden days.  There were no Bully Intervention programs.  The general consensus was that if an adult helped you with a bully problem you would grow up to be a pussy.  "Let him fight his own battles!"  It didn't matter if the bully was two years older and had many nasty friends to help him bully. You were left on your own. Did it make you tough?  I guess, after spending most of your childhood living in terror.   I was a big, skinny, goofy kid and consequently an easy target.  I hated school.  I despised it.  I walked around with a knot in my stomach constantly.  A snow day meant that you were spared getting the crap punched out of you for at least one day.  I grew to love snow.  I still get the same feeling when I see snow fall even though I'm a big old ox now and  it's been many decades since I've been physically bullied by anyone.  Strange but true.   
    There are no biting, stinging, or sucking bugs in the Winter.  No Chiggers, Ticks, Deerflies, Horseflies, Greenheads, Noseeums, our state bird in New Jersey, the Mosquito, Yellowjackets, etc.  None. 
     I honestly don't know why most people prefer Summer.  I love Winter. Bring on the snow and cold.  As long as they keep making Carhartts I don't care.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: What I Like About Winter
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 4:31pm

Also you don't have to mow the lawn, trim the shrubbery, or pull weeds in the Winter.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 5:00pm

I love the winter but only when there's snow. Otherwise it's miserable. I can't sling (not comfortably at least and filming is out), wood working isn't as fun, going for walks isn't as fun and it's dark. Real dark. We had snow for a few days a few weeks ago and there was a noticeable lift in my mood. I slept better. Now it's all gone again and it's wet and horrible and DARK.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 10:36pm

What I like about Winter.

It doesn't usually get to 30 degees celcius... and their is usually rain!

Oh, and my Birthday is in June, which is the start of Winter to you weird Northerners. So obviously Winter is my favourite season.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 10:36pm

The lack of daylight is one of the few things I can do without about Winter.  Here in New Jersey it's pitch dark by 5:00 PM and the sun doesn't rise until after 8:00 AM.  I also don't like when we get a glazing of ice.  Dangerous stuff.  Nothing can drive safely on it.  When I was stationed at miserable hell hole Ft. Campbell I watched full sized main battle tanks sliding around on a glaze of ice.  One year while I was working for Cable TV, maybe in the late 80s or early 90s, our weather was broken and we got 17 ice storms in a row.  Usually we get one or two per season.  That was a rough Winter.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2019 at 5:02am

I love the snow. Last year we had a record snow fall in maine. 14 feet fell. This year so far we had 2 feet, but most melted when we had a few days of 50  and rain. But i love the work out i get with splitting wood, and using the wood stove for heat.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2019 at 3:51pm by Rat Man »  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2019 at 8:20am

I've mentioned this many times before... when I was a kid, many eons ago, Winters were much better here in New Jersey. There was snow on the ground and ice on the lakes all season. These days it's hit ir miss.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2019 at 3:52pm

vetryan15 wrote on Dec 21st, 2019 at 5:02am:
I love the snow. Last year we had a record snow fall in maine. 14 feet fell. This year so far we had 2 feet, but most melted when we had a few days of 50  and rain. But i love the work out i get with splitting wood, and using the wood stove for heat.

Gathering, chopping, sawing, and splitting wood is an excellent workout. You'll never need a gym membership.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)