Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Days when you have to sling... (Read 985 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Days when you have to sling...
Dec 16th, 2019 at 12:00am

This is the first time I recall this happening.  Tomorrow I have to do some slinging.  Now in general that's not a bad thing.  I'm happy to sling anytime.  But here's my situation.

On Tuesday I'm making a new mead.  When I do a batch of mead I use a temperature control system to keep everything in a certain range.  This works by pumping cold water through a stainless steel coil inside the fermenter.  The water is kept cold with big blocks of ice I make in my freezer.  But my freezer is currently filled with ice balls for slinging.  So tomorrow I have to do some slinging to clear out the freezer.

I'm happy to sling, but this still feels a little strange.  Anyone else ever have a time when slinging was something that needed to happen?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Days when you have to sling...
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2019 at 12:07am

Well only when I've had deadlines on online challenges. I've been bad this year and have been more likely to practice my archery , 2020 I'm going to focus more on both the sling and bow. I'm determined to get over 200m throw with my sling as well, measured, I have measured 186m but I just want that confirmed 200m

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2019 at 2:38am

Huh, that sounds like quite the set up. Temperature control? I ain't got none of that. It's just honey, water, yeast and raisins thrown into a carboy and given a month/month-and-a-half until I feel like giving it a rack... then I tend to add stuff in secondary. Then I might run it through cheesecloth when I bottle... but that's about it.

Given that I am not gifted in the engineering side of things, I think this is a good thing. I would probably end up destroying it!

Have you noticed any differences with your setup compared to the 'Baseline'?

And uh... Have fun slinging! I'm Totally staying on topic here. Wink

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2019 at 3:22am

losing a lot of slinging sessions due to weather and then I get a chance when the sky is clear but I want to work on another project but I know I won't get another chance for a while.

Mersa wrote on Dec 16th, 2019 at 12:07am:
I'm determined to get over 200m throw with my sling as well, measured, I have measured 186m but I just want that confirmed 200m

Nice!
Try to make a video with a way to confirm it. It would be awesome to see.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2019 at 10:41am

TheJackinati wrote on Dec 16th, 2019 at 2:38am:
Huh, that sounds like quite the set up. Temperature control? I ain't got none of that. It's just honey, water, yeast and raisins thrown into a carboy and given a month/month-and-a-half until I feel like giving it a rack... then I tend to add stuff in secondary. Then I might run it through cheesecloth when I bottle... but that's about it.

Given that I am not gifted in the engineering side of things, I think this is a good thing. I would probably end up destroying it!

Have you noticed any differences with your setup compared to the 'Baseline'?

And uh... Have fun slinging! I'm Totally staying on topic here. Wink

No problem at all.  I'll talk mead anytime. Smiley

A few years ago I got a 1/2 barrel conical fermenter.  The model I got came with temperature control options.  There's a heating pad as well as the chilling coil, but I've never had the need to use that part.  I'm always trying to make improvements to my process, so it's hard to narrow down exactly what temperature control has done.  I know that all the people who regularly get mead from me keep saying that the batches get better every time.

If your fermentation temp gets too high, it can cause off flavors.  I had this happen with one batch a couple summers ago.  The temp got up over 90° F (don't have an exact measurement) and the batch tasted like it was soured and mixed with rubbing alcohol.  There could have been other issues with that batch outside the fermentation temp though.  This will also be more of a problem with larger batches.  A large batch has more fermentation activity, and that creates more heat.

All that said, the way you're doing it works just fine.  I've made a number of good meads the exact same way.

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2019 at 1:28am

I've certainly had friends and siblings insist or peer pressure me into slinging for the entertainment of others. While that's not a situation where I have to sling, it does describe a moment where I'm not slinging because I want to. Here in the Pacific Northwest, many folks haven't heard of slinging and fewer still understand how it works.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick)