Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling Making by Twining and Weaving over Sticks (Read 795 times)
Kick
Interfector Viris Spurii

Finland
Re: Sling Making by Twining and Weaving over Sticks
Reply #15 - Mar 7th, 2020 at 4:02pm

This is exactly what I needed to look up Cheesy Thanks! I tried to compact them together but they just wouldn't budge. I think the warp is too dense and tight. I've been wanting to make a new loom as this one isn't all that good and some of the nails got pulled so much they came loose. Who would have guessed cardboard wouldn't make a permanent loom...? What sort of distances between the nails have you found to work?

IP Logged

Teg
Funditor

Central Europe
Reply #16 - Mar 7th, 2020 at 5:09pm

Kick wrote on Mar 7th, 2020 at 4:02pm:
What sort of distances between the nails have you found to work?

I try not to use looms Cheesy If I have to, mine are very often .... well... stiff cardboard with slits. Sometimes improvised backstrap-like contraptions. I had my go at peg looms once or twice years ago and that was it.

It will depend on your string diameter what you can get away with and your skills. There is no definite answer. Just leave more than 1 weft string diameter between the warps (obviously  Cheesy).
Or fix the first row with twining. That gives a decent gauge. I recommend to experiment a bit and to make a sample. On cardboard if need be Wink

The trick is really in correct weft tension and beating. Potter describes it very well. Regarding peg looms and using them, he is a better source than I am on this matter.

IP Logged

Kick
Interfector Viris Spurii

Finland
Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 7:37am

Second attempt! I'm much happier with this one. This was using thicker jute and came out much better... but also huge Cheesy I think now, having learnt a lot from these attempts, I'm going to combine what I did with the first one with what I did with this one. A diamond shape with this thicker material with fewer sticks should turn out great. Lots of time to experiment so let's see how attempt 3 goes Cheesy

IP Logged

Teg
Funditor

Central Europe
Reply #18 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 9:30am

Well done! You are visibly improving your work!

Looking forward to number 3  Smiley.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)