Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magnet fishing (Read 1159 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Magnet fishing
Dec 5th, 2019 at 3:50pm

Well my first attempt at magnet fishing was... expensive.

I had a $30 magnet and a $15 magnet. The big one got stuck after 4 tosses into the water, so I tied the end of the other magnet rope to the end and tried to pull from the other side of the water... the rope was too short by a few feet, so I tied a sling to the end of the second rope and kept walking around the water... then a second sling.

The second sling came loose, and I lost two ropes, two magnets, and two slings!  Like an idiot, I didn’t untie the second magnet. Very annoying.

I came back an hour later and used a makeshift grappling hook to recover everything except the one magnet that was originally stuck.  Had to just cut the rope, but at least I got the slings and second magnet back.  It was an adventure, but not quite the treasure hunt I was hoping for.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Magnet fishing
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 1:23am

I can't be the only one here who doesn't know what magnet fishing is.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 1:33am

It’s just like it sounds... throw a magnet in the water and see what comes out!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 1:34am

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 1:47am

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 2:21pm

Rat Man wrote on Dec 6th, 2019 at 1:23am:
I can't be the only one here who doesn't know what magnet fishing is. 

I was in that camp too.  At first it made me think of the magnetic fishing pond at amusement parks.

Neat idea though.  I might have to give that a try one of these days.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 2:52pm

One thing to be careful of is pulling up guns or unexploded bombs. Most of the stories I've seen about magnet fishing have been when someone's pulled a grenade out a lake or found what is likely to be a murder weapon. Obviously it's rare but stay safe out there!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 2:59pm

Did it for a while but lost the magnet.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2019 at 3:30pm

I'll bet I'd come up with a lot of lures doing that.  It might be worth a try.  Both my little lake and lakes in the Pine Barrens might yield much fishing gear.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2019 at 3:57pm

It does look like fun Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Dec 25th, 2019 at 1:38am

Even though it didn’t go well for me on the first try, I’d recommend it.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Dec 25th, 2019 at 5:00am

I might have to try it out sometime. Plenty of lakes and rivers in Finland Cheesy Also a good chance of finding discarded weapons from the Winter War, Continuation War or even the Civil War. That would be interesting.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)